WTB: First Turntable (Chicago land)

willum24

I have acquired quite a few (roughly 50) vinyl albums, but the turntable I was gifted is absolutely horrible. It wobbles and the sound quality is terrible. Ive also been gifted a pack of shure bc90 cartridge and needles that ive been told will work fantastically when matched with a quality table. Any input or insight is much appreciated. Thanks! This will be played with an onkyo 809, emotiva XPA5, two RW12Ds, and four RF82 IIs.

Agree with Youngjj on Pro-Ject Debut. Good table and it comes with a decent cart. Would stay away from the USB version, however, since the built-in phono pre-amp is NOT reliable (mine died just outside the warranty period) and it takes away one's flexibility to use other pre-amps. Let us know what you decide.

Willum24, not to put a damper on CAb3's post I have had extensive experience with both the Debut Carbon and the Rega RP-1. Mind you both tables come with comprable cartridges (Ortofon 2M Red/Ortofon OM5e) but IMHO the Rega RP-1/RB101 arm are considerably better than the Debut/Carbon Arm. I found the plinth on the Debut to be very hollow sounding and vibration prone, likewise the Carbon arm however nice to look at and is very rigid it was kind of light and floppy, having a zero dampening cue did not help either. I happen/ed to run both these tables with the upgrade Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge as you can see in these photo's. Just my $.02, I run both tables thru a Edwards (Talk Audio) Apprentice phono pre which for $151.00 is a steal. For $46.00 bucks more the Rega is once again IMHO a much better table all around.

post-16574-0-21190000-1392824300_thumb.j

post-16574-0-48270000-1392824511_thumb.j

Edited by kaiser SET say

I have heard great things about U-Turn Audio

if they simply took the time to add a third shaft pulley to support 78 rpm's, I'd already have one of these as a second to my rega... I know it won't break any sound competition records, but it seems like a great entry into the hobby!

What is your budget for this project?

^this is the most significant question... remember to factor in the cartridge price