Upgrading speakers, have a few questions

matt_a

After getting a good deal on a Yamaha A3020 receiver, I decided it was time to upgrade from my KSF 8.5s and KSF-C5 speakers, as well as my KSW-150 sub. I decided to go used for the best bang for my buck, so I started looking for either KLF-20s or 30s, RF-83s, or RF-7s for mains. I ended up picking up some used RF-7IIs that were a little beat up (but at a great price) thanks to a post from joesportster in the Alerts forum. I also bought a SVS PB12-NSD shortly before purchasing the RF-7IIs. Now I need a matching RC-64II center, and I from what I've been reading and following I think may have to go ahead and buy a new one if I want one anytime soon (a used cherry seems pretty rare). I'm also questioning the sub purchase for two reasons. Purchasing a new center is pushing me above what I was originally hoping to spend on mains and the center, and I'm also wondering how good of a match it is with the RF-7IIs (I guess I already have the upgrade bug lol).

So I'm leaning towards returning the sub (still in the window) and putting that money towards a center, and saving up for a future sub purchase. Also, with B-stock cherry, would it always going to be darker, or is there a chance it would be a closer match with mine since they are not new? I assume if I get A stock the center may not match initially but will eventually? Thanks.

Matt

And for the pics, still a lot of clean-up/setup to do, I just moved in November and still getting everything together. :)

post-2156-0-82000000-1393796458_thumb.jp

post-2156-0-84600000-1393796471_thumb.jp

post-2156-0-29000000-1393796487_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I just moved in November and still getting everything together. :)
I know the feeling. We moved at the end of November and are finally getting settled in. I usually set up the music system first, right after the beds, but this time it took much longer to get it done. Hadn't moved in 20 years, so there was lots to do.

I would love to hear some of the newer models. I have La Scalas and Heresy IIs. Do you have the grills or were they too beat up? They would cover the damage until you got some refinishing and repairs done.

Bruce

I just moved in November and still getting everything together. :)

I know the feeling. We moved at the end of November and are finally getting settled in. I usually set up the music system first, right after the beds, but this time it took much longer to get it done. Hadn't moved in 20 years, so there was lots to do.

I would love to hear some of the newer models. I have La Scalas and Heresy IIs. Do you have the grills or were they too beat up? They would cover the damage until you got some refinishing and repairs done.

Bruce

Yep, we hadn't moved in 10 years and I'm just finally getting the garage together (next up is this area). They didn't come with grills, but I'm going to order them from klipsch and try to do some minor touch ups for now.

If you are already doubting the sub and have the upgrade hurry and send it back. I've never heard that model. I owned two Svs PB-13 ultras and they were great. All cherry setup with the rf-63 home theater. That's all gone now. Send it back and buy a rc-64ii and get a or b whatever you have now. Then save for a nicer sub down the road.

A and B stock refers to the condition, not the vintage. A stock speakers are in perfect cosmetic condition, while B stock items have minor cosmetic flaws. Sometime the flaws are something as simple as mismatched veneer.

I think sending it back is the plan then, plus I probably have a better chance at picking up a deal on a used sub rather than finding a deal on the center channel.

I also have a question on surrounds. It looks like the current reference surround speakers only come in black. What kind of choices are out there if I want to have cherry? I probably need to wall mount them just behind the couch (preferred), or possibly put them on stands right behind the couch. Thanks for the input.

Edit: I guess I'm getting ahead of myself asking about the surrounds since they are further down the road. As for the center, this eBay listing looks like the best deal, but even though the listing says they are authorized I don't see them on the Klipsch website.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RC-64-II-Reference-Center-Speaker-Cherry-/371010881014?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item5661f8c5f6

So any suggestions on where to purchase the center from? Should I call ASD? What about AVS (I didn't see cherry listed on their website)?

Edited by matt_a

Have you even tried the sub with the 7s yet? You can run the a phantom center and it will still sound amazing. Imo a phantom center and a sub will sound better than having the center and losing the sub. But if you run it with the sub and feel the sub can't get it done then sending it back might be a good move. You could also use the 1 year trade in to upgrade down the road.

Have you even tried the sub with the 7s yet? You can run the a phantom center and it will still sound amazing. Imo a phantom center and a sub will sound better than having the center and losing the sub. But if you run it with the sub and feel the sub can't get it done then sending it back might be a good move. You could also use the 1 year trade in to upgrade down the road.

I really haven't, and you make a good point. I'll try that out first since I still have some time left before I have to make a decision with the sub. Thanks.

The Svs will dig plenty deep. Just depends how big the room is and also how liud you play. The good thing is if you do like it a second can be added for a discount later. Two subs for around 1400$ the next step up is almost that price from the get go.

Worst case you can upgrade to a + or ultra down the road. Depending on how big a bass head you are. I ran my 7s a while back with no 64 just to see. It is better with the 64 but its still really nice without it imo. This way you can sit back and wait for a killer deal on a 64 and not be in a hurry.

The center is the most important speaker if you use one. I run a phantom in my heritage ht (Corns and Herseys) and have no desire for a center.

Edited by reference_head