Amp Design ?, (especially SE-84 that Justin Builds)

Guest David H

Dean

Yes, I put Russian PIO coupling caps in the amp you have. I have heard so many good things about them, so thought I would give them a shot.

I have to admit, I am very impressed with the sound of the PIO's, they sounded just as good as the Wima's. :P

Heck, I will try anything once, I even built a set of full bridge battery bias networks to try in my Heresy's.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Guest David H

The PCB is Shannons... but greatly changed... I’ve prob spent the most time reworking the design of this amp. I consider myself a purist... not a fan of pots on amps... Simpler the better. I’ve had to service too many amps in which no one did the requisite adjustments. Though I think the world of Chicago magnetics... I’ve moved away from their use is some cases... Having built alot of kits sourced from Triode of the years... like many... their kits (metal work is great). And the ST-35 offers the most support. I would strongly sugest you order your own parts.

Here is a bit of what we have been up to the last 2 weeks.

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/gallery/album_76/gallery_36992_76_46331.jpg

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/gallery/album_76/gallery_36992_76_32722.jpg

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/gallery/album_76/gallery_36992_76_22363.jpg

Where's the picture of the Mini's, and my Heresy's?

Dave

Guest David H
Dave... are you going to do more write ups on the open baffle ideology?

I don't think so, I think I will just spend a lot of time listening to them instead.

Dave

Do a search on open baffle loudspeakers. There is quite a bit of information available. I use single, wide-band drivers on a 24 X 48 panel crossed over to La Scala bass bins at a couple hundred cycles, or so. Spectacular sound. I had put together the original complex internal horn cabinets for the Lowther drivers in...''98, I think it was, and went from there to La Scalas, Klipschorns, then back to split cabinet La Scalas. My intention was to one day use our Lowther PM5A alnico drivers with the La Scala bass bins using an open baffle for the very efficient, full-range Lowther. As an experiment, I tried using the La Scala bins firing rearward, with the driver connected out-of-phase. The response provides the most cohesive sound between the two parts of this system I have been able to get. The Lowthers are run totally without a crossover of any kind, the only passive element is a very low DCR choke in series with the La Scala woofer. Open Baffles have become very popular -- check also Hawthorne Audio, Lowther America...and others.

I see Russion PIO capacitors were mentioned above -- extremely good quality and performance for the price, I use them in coupling positions in a few of my amps as well. Regardless of what some might say, capacitors can and do sound different. In my experience, it's not always the most expensive dielectric material or manufacturing process that will automatically provide the best performance.

Guest David H

Eric, nice to see someone else is enjoying the benefits of O/B.

I urge you to try open baffle bass. IMO it's the most natural sounding. I played acoustic and electric bass in school, and although I was not any good, I remember how nice the acoustic sounds.

The LBAT chamber provide reasonably flat response from 25hz-200hz, and as I understand the H configuration does just as well.

The benefits of the LBAT is simply a smaller foot print.

I have not heard Lother, I am sure they are excellent. I have been looking recently at Mark Audio's Alpair 12 due to its glowing reviews and smooth response.

Dave