Update KLF-30s with passive radiators - win or lose?

pzannucci

I have a set of KLF-30s that are in need of a nicer looking cabinet. Since I will likely be restoring them I have been contemplating the use of 3 or 4 12" passive radiators tuned to around 27 hz or so.

Questions:

Anyone know the xmax of the K-31 woofer so I can add the proper number of passives?

Will I loose or gain over the original ported design - basically is this a bad idea - thoughts?

I will be making the cabinet the appropriate size considering the tuning but I am wondering about the quality of the sound and amount of low bass compared to the ports on the KLF-30 stock. I am thinking of using the P-E Dayton 12" passives with an xmax of 10mm.

Thanks.

• Like 1

man i am not real smart about modding speakers or the diy thing yet. however you ask for an opinion so i will chime in since no one else has. i think it would be a bad idea for a few reasons.

first reason is you would only be getting a few hz lower. most likely won't be even audibly noticeable.

second is who knows how much extra it will all cost.

third is you might make a already "great" speaker sound terrible?

there it is. good luck if you do it. let everyone know, you for sure will have some one of a kind speakers.

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts.

Since I will be just doing a moderate increase in the cabinet volume and not likely changing the crossover, these changes should just affect the extension and output level of the low bass not the overall character of the klf30.

I would also like to find out if anyone thinks the ports would provide better output than the passive radiators.

I believe most companies don't do passive radiators because of the increased cost and also it helps them sell sub-woofers. If you have a truely full range speaker, many would forego subs. On the cost front, some wouldn't pay the cost for the passives. This is likely why speakers such as Chorus I went from ports to passive in the Chorus II. Also Forte went from a 12" to 15" for better coupling. Many don't think they need subs with Forte IIs.

If I can get a solid 25/26hz out of them for $130 each, I'm not sure it is a bad proposition considering I don't have a good space for a sub, particularly since I use only 2 channel.

Thanks again for opinions.

• Like 1

why don't you simply experiment with extending the length of your KLF30 vents? You can use a simple roll of construction paper and a little tape. Find the length that works best and then contrive more rigid cardboard or plastic vents of that length. You will likely end up with a new vent of about double or less than the the existing vent length. Passive radiators are very expensive. you can do the process totally by ear. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 2

why don't you simply experiment with extending the length of your KLF30 vents? You can use a simple roll of construction paper and a little tape. Find the length that works best and then contrive more rigid cardboard or plastic vents of that length. You will likely end up with a new vent of about double or less than the the existing vent length. Passive radiators are very expensive. you can do the process totally by ear. Best regards Moray James.

What I am attempting to find out is quality, quantity, and depth of response when using 3 12" passives compared to the 2 3" ports on the KLF-30.

post-38-0-41000000-1395443150_thumb.jpg

These have 3 12" passives and are solid down to below 30hz without the typical smaller port drop off.

post-38-0-08280000-1395443335_thumb.jpg

I wish now I had tested ports compared to passives.

Edited by pzannucci
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Anyone have any thoughts about doing this (adding the passive radiators) and if it would be worth the cost for better low bass?

just a rough guess on the peak to peak I doubt if it is much more than 6mm for the stock driver so for passives a peak to peak of 10-12mm or more ought to be lots.Sounds like an ok Idea why not find some low rent woofers with approx. the fight Fs ans use them as passives way cheaper than buying passives. That is the main attraction to vents they are almost free.I would expect vents and passives to sound pretty darned close in sound quality. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

pzannucci,

Did you ever go through with this?

I am still contemplating a rebuild.  Lot of other projects to work on.

The other reason I haven't done this is that I am trying to figure out which I want.

- I have 2 klf-20 woofers in a 5.5 cf box with somewhere around a 16"x3"x17" long slot port in them.  Tuned around 31/32hz (discussed with Moray before).  These sound ALIVE.  The KLF-20 woofers are very good. 

- I have the 8 or so cubic foot box with two Focal 13v woofers in them with 3 12" passives on the back - the picture.  They sound smoother and deeper though maybe not as LIVE.  I can't put my finger on it.

I may end up rebuilding the klf-20 woofer enclosures because I am transitioning to a home (slowly) that won't accommodate the 24" deep klf-20 woofer enclosures.  I may end up with using 3 12" passives with the two 10" woofers, not tearing apart the klf-30s and selling the homebuilts in the picture.  The SO thinks the homebuilts are too big for the location they are at.  

Still undecided.

About the inexpensive woofers, I have been using the 12" passives from P-E.  Actually very good for the $34 each price.

Peter: I believe that there is a lot of untapped refinement in the Klipsch woofers and I especially like the KLF20 woofers. Not sure if you are interested in the work involved but you can shoot me a PM and I can give you the info so you can at least consider if it is worth thinking about for you (rater than bore folks here with it).

Funny one of the single biggest improvements to the sound of my H3 was the addition of an EV DH1A to replace the mid and tweeter. The woofer crossover section was left untouched and the DH1A dropped into place via a CF3 network section. Sounded like there were double the number of woofers playing with the very much better compression driver in place. Truly brought new meaning to the expression "sudden impact". Twenty three and a half pounds of wow. Shoot me a PM if you are at all interested in the woofer mods. Best regards Moray James.

I got more live sound by removing the port tubes, although I'm sure most will claim I lost the lowest of the LF I don't miss it. they go plenty deep enough for me. But sounding perfectly live was a bigger perk to me. ;)

If you do change the box shape the crossover will probably be off as the baffle step is calculated into them. Stick to the factory width of the cabinet and you should be okay.

Moray, I could never be bored by ones ideas and results from trying to better the sound of their system. :)

Edited by cradeldorf