Attenuators on AA network?

Was common practice on those sold with RODGERS Organs (B&W Sticker on Back). Think they were designed so you would blow the tweeters & mid-range. I've read they can be safely removed; which is what I'd do.

I wouldn't even buy the speaker. It looks like hell. See the previous post with link to ebay...

• Like 1

Check out this organ LaScala with attenuators on the tweeter and midrange:

$_57.JPG

I have never seen that before. Was this a common practice, and what are the disadvantages of it?

PWK didn't like attenuators because he thought people would misadjust them. True enough, same-model JBLs of the '60s sounded different in every store, partly because of the sales folk quasi-randomly adjusting the attenuators. PWK didn't like equalizers either. In 1980 something Roy Delgado told me on the phone, "Mr. K doesn't like equalizers." I don't know what he would think with modern devices like Audyssey -- I only know it made my Khorns, Belle, and Heresey IIs sound better.

• Like 1

This is how I got my Lascalas... from a guy who had bought them with an organ but didn't want the speakers. The metal plate is where the amp was mounted and had an image as if from newspaper printing press. He wanted more for the amps so I left them and the attenuators with the seller. The crossovers were regular AA. The cabinet was a little leaky so I glued it up and resealed the bottom. Braces were absolutely needed for the bins!