Heresys vs. Quartets

fuzzydog

Heresy, Heresy 2 and Heresy 3 do not play as low as a Quartet. None of the Heresy have a mid horn as good as the Quartet (also used in the Forte 2, Chorus 2 and assorted other pro Klipsch). All of these speakers sound better when you raise then so that the centre of the horn is at your seated ear level. The passive of the Quarter allows you to easily tune for lower response with additional dead weight 2.5 ounces works very well. Hope this helps and is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

Let me say this, I sold my fortes and both pairs of Quartets and still own Heresys and Heresy II's.

With that statement I am not indicating the H's and HII's are better, just that I preferred to keep them over the f's and Q's in the applications they are currently in. Though I do like the tighter(not deeper) punchier bass of the Heresy's and Heresy II's.

Bill

I'm with Moray James. Though I'm not going to alter my Quartets.

The very few times I heard Heresy I thought they were lacking bass. The original Heresy specs show 50 Hz but I suspect that was in a corner. Then you see H II at 63 Hz and H III at 58 Hz. Some of that may be more conservative testing conditions.

The Quartets spec at 38 Hz. Not quite an octave below H II. I love mine. For example, watching Star Trek Next Generation, the engines of the ship are a clear but not intrusive rumble. This is with the Quartets on risers away from the wall.

Many, many years ago, a college friend brought some big, for home use, JBL's. He commented that he did not need to play with the bass control or loudness. Bass was just solid and there.

I look at the musical scale and the Fletcher curves and wonder if they explain the effect of an extension somewhat short of a full octave. Subjectively, it sure does seem to work. This notion is reinforced by the Forte II's I have at the office.

You'll love the Quartets for bass and the midrange is outstanding.

WMcD

I owned both but not at the same time. The Q sound really nice and have a good kick in the bass. But the bass is ported (with the radiator) so it is a bit boomy compared to the H 1. But I personaly don't mind boomy bass so I liked it. Imo the mid and top of the H1 has a little more of the sound I like. It has the corn sound with out the lows.

• Like 1

Owned both and A/B'd at same time. I agree with all the above comments. I forgot about the 2.5oz wieght trick for the bass.

I have new Ti diaphragm in tweeters and crites Mid diaphragms with Crites crossovers and these babies are stellar now! All that rich highs of the heresy's with the bass and a mid horn that seems to blend both together well. definately play with positioning and placement from walls for the Q's. Mine are 8 inches but I pull them out a little more when in play for 2 channel.

I love my quartets, but wish I had more space for Fortes, Chorus or cornwalls.

Edited by ajoker2c

i had heresys, couldnt stand the lack of bass. They sounded absolutely for awesome for vocal based music but didn't sound stellar with rap or trance type stuff. Very warm and rich sound though.

I have quartets in my office and i love them. they sound great on all types of music and have that openess about them that the 3-way klipsch speakers have. I still think my rf-5's are more neutral and have much better bass performance but they lack that 3-way sound. Overall, the quartets are excellent speakers to own,

Great thread. Interesting great comparisons and then some. I have had and still do own a couple variations of the heresy as well as the h2. Now with the H3 I find the differences quite vast. Then again the original heresy is becoming an interesting favorite of mine with the k77 and crossover(which are vastly different in design as well) design i assume. The heresy and h2 have to have upgraded crossovers at this point in time 2014 to get the most out of them and putting an eq on them i can resolve any bass issues with the heresy and h2 without need for a sub for my bass hungry needs. The H3 is still a very different speaker than the heresy and h2 and seems to step up to my liking in the past. Now comparing to the quartet to the heresy, h2 and h3 I still find the quartet much more user friendly yet again an updated crossover is a must to get the best out of it. They all are very good and all can be the final grab for any audiophile to use for the rest of somebodys life without doubt(not trying to sound morbid)of course.

The search for the quartet is one of the toughest there happens to be(in my opinion) although when found mine were only $300(same as i spent on my 1st h2's) with green grilles with wood veneer. So i did pass mine along(My past and current wife made me im serious. they preferred the big speaker to be black so thats why i collect black klipsch speakers lol). They ended up on craigslist 2 times then ebay and i gave up following them at that point. 1 of the passives had distinguished markings that set it different than any other. I would just keep patient and a chorus or cornwall may pop up nearby. Between those 2 I just cannot get enough. Im serious. The other 4 models i mention I had a bit more in the task to get them running with my preference of sound(no powered sub in particular but an eq and good network helps tremendously imo) . Nonetheless I own several pairs of heresys including pro indy models the pros i use for theater. Anyhow the best of luck to you FuzzyDog. I love your avatar as im sure you do too. Blessings to all