Speaker crackling noise

Cosmic_surfer

I am currently talking to a seller on craigslist that is offering to sell 2 rs-3 speakers for about $100. They mentioned that one of these speakers crackles at all volume levels. Does anyone know what it might be? Could it be a loose or shorted out wire inside?

Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with the speaker and can be caused by a bad transistor(s) in the upstream unit(s).

Just making sure. Yes, there are more mains out there than surrounds. If you have an Ipod and a chip amp, you can bring that along and see if it's really a speaker issue or not. Surrounds normally aren't driven to damage like mains are.

Go and listen to them for yourself. When I go look at speakers, I take an amp and source and wire. My Son's KG5.5s had loose cab backs that only showed up at higher volumes, they rattled badly. We got a pretty big discount on them because of that. Lower volumes may not show up problems.

When I bought my Cornerhorns, I again took gear.... and a generator as they were in a storage lot. This time, all was well and they were sold in nothing flat for full asking price.

A smart phone works just fine for a source (not fond of an I anything!) and you need an amp too. A chip amp works great but if you don't have one, just take what you have.