Best method for preserving back panel labels?

Actually, the absolute best way to preserve it would be to take a well focused photograph, and save it to a CD. Stick the CD inside the cabinet with a wood screw and a washer. If you ever need to regurgitate the label, take out the CD and get to printing.

• Like 2

mustang guy has the right idea about making a photo copy of the original label. At least I thought of taking a picture of the plastic coated playing card used to block light from fading the label, and I did use low stiction white masking tape that does not leave glue residue.

post-58241-0-04340000-1398917628_thumb.j

mustang guy has the right idea about making a photo copy of the original label. At least I thought of taking a picture of the plastic coated playing card used to block light from fading the label, and I did use low stiction white masking tape that does not leave glue residue.

Hope you're right when that masking tape dries out. Really hope you're right. At least the tape does not appear to be stuck to the label.

Hope you're right when that masking tape dries out. Really hope you're right. At least the tape does not appear to be stuck to the label.

I use my 20 year old roll of non-drying, low stiction white masking tape, NOT yellow tape. I have safely tested it for years on surfaces more delicate than the wood on my speakers. Thanks for your concern.

• Like 1

I use my 20 year old roll of non-drying, low stiction white masking tape, NOT yellow tape. I have safely tested it for years on surfaces more delicate than the wood on my speakers. Thanks for your concern.

:emotion-21:

plastic lamination might be a good solution. it will probably last for some decade even in open environment! you can also put a lamination plastic sheet on the label and just stick it there with paper tape sticker, an undo-able process.

Edited by Arash

Antique Clock forums suggest using small dollops of silicone to adhere all 4 corners of an oversized pane of glass, placed over the label. The glass "pane" needs to be large enough that the silicone doesn't touch the paper, and spaced off the paper while the silicone dries so that the glass doesn't touch the paper either.

This form of "conservatorship" has been around a long time, but I have no personal experience with the removal of silicone from the back of any Klipsch speaker...

Back when I was still restoring Heritage stuff I would also restore and reprint the labels on close to original sticky back stock.

I would carefully remove the labels and scan them into my computer and restore them to new with my photo software program.

Attached are a couple photos from a restoration of a pair of '67 Khorns.

post-7010-0-97780000-1399141255_thumb.jp

post-7010-0-35020000-1399141267_thumb.jp

post-7010-0-11100000-1399141280_thumb.jp