Tube Failure - "run away tube protection."

eth2

I have my VAC at the manufacturer's currently. It had a problem with a "run away tube" which caused damage to the sockets. It has now been repaired and upgraded. They asked if I wanted a "guardian circuit" installed that would shut down the amp if there was another such incident. The cost is $500. Should I do it?

sounds like bs...man earl i would darn near sell you a killer tube amp myself, integrated thats loud, or quiet and has absolute minimal noise at pause or volume down for about 500....Pass on this feature my gawsh...sounds like your getting the run around!

• Like 1

Not sure the value of your amp / amps, If it were me I would search out other Vac amps and see if the add on is typical and also see if it looks to add to amps value

Generally I would say this is not an area for concern, as a tube amp should never be operated unless you are there listening, if a tube is failing you will hear odd harmonics and distortion first in almost all situations. Of course when you hear this the idea is to rush over and shut it off B-4 the tube runs away and causes damage

If I found I could recoup the investment on resale I would say "what the hell" and have it installed (ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure)

I personally am Happy you have posted the numerous issues you have had with those amps (helps me steer clear) I am not happy you have issues just happy you share the info :D

• Like 3

Not sure the value of your amp / amps, If it were me I would search out other Vac amps and see if the add on is typical and also see if it looks to add to amps value

Generally I would say this is not an area for concern, as a tube amp should never be operated unless you are there listening, if a tube is failing you will hear odd harmonics and distortion first in almost all situations. Of course when you hear this the idea is to rush over and shut it off B-4 the tube runs away and causes damage

If I found I could recoup the investment on resale I would say "what the hell" and have it installed (ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure)

I personally am Happy you have posted the numerous issues you have had with those amps (helps me steer clear) I am not happy you have issues just happy you share the info :D

Always glad to act as the sacrificial lamb for my friends! B)

• Like 2

The search had this (Earl's) thread at the top of the results. :rolleyes:

I bet vac reads it and figures shoot...you win some ya lose some lol I hope they dont get you on this one earl...

I will say though if you dont i bet it happens...vac sound like a bunch of slimeballs

Yes, the electrical engineering description. My understanding is that when the tube gets gassy, it begins to draw more power causing an imbalance among the tubes, and accelerating the heat rise in the defective tube until it fails. On its way to failure it can draw so much power that it destroys the components in its path.

But then again what do know? I was gong to pay $500 for a protection circuit.