They ain't Klipsch

Taz

Was talking with the wife and she commented on how nice the TV speakers sound, 4 way IMF and 4 way Bang and Ofsen. Run off 70;s Marantz quad.

I told her I could do better and not take up any more floor space, but she's not having any of it. Maybe if I setup the second living room that has KHorns with La Scalas and DIY sub base.

I use that room for Stereo, but could run TV into system with switches I have.

What Sub Bass? I'm thinking for my first DIY going to a flat pack. I would like it to go comfortably to 20H and below at moderate volume.

Started to post in Lounge, but moved it here

Probably the same as

Recommended sub for LaScala Trios? Edited by Taz
  • Like 1

Recommended subs for LaScalla's? same question here. This weekend will meet a guy who is bringing a couple different BFM subs a show he is doing the sound for. My limitation is space and hoping to get down into the 20h range. Actually our LaScalla's give us most all we need but knowing there is more to be had with longer horns and I can build them brings the teenager back to life.

• Like 1

For ~23 HZ, the THT is best Bill Fitzmaurice sub. They are very big, even larger than your LaScalas. I assume you are watching movies or listening to pipe organ music on it? I'm only saying this, because you can opt for a much smaller Table Tuba if getting to 20Hz isn't the goal. The TT does down to about 28Hz

I like to feel the music or movies without excessive volume. I'd like to put a sub downstairs that will go with a pair of Khorns and

La Scala's. The upstairs front speakers are rated down to 20 Hz. But I would like to go lower for my second project.

I'd like to build if I can. No job, Dr. says I cannot hold a job. So I need to find something I want to do to get me motivated. Have to get out of the house instead of laying around getting Fatter. I believe I have the tools required. And if I take it slow enough I believe I can learn. I've read Blueprints before. Wired my house from top to bottom as I built the house. So I just need to get started and motivated.

I think I could do $600 at this time on a DIY project.

Was talking with the wife and she commented on how nice the TV speakers sound, 4 way IMF and 4 way Bang and Ofsen. Run off 70;s Marantz quad.

I told her I could do better and not take up any more floor space, but she's not having any of it. Maybe if I setup the second living room that has KHorns with La Scalas and DIY sub base.

I use that room for Stereo, but could run TV into system with switches I have.

What Sub Bass? I'm thinking for my first DIY going to a flat pack. I would like it to go comfortably to 20H and below at moderate volume.

Started to post in Lounge, but moved it here

Probably the same as

Recommended sub for LaScala Trios?

Almost no musical instrument, other than a pipe organ, goes down to 20 Hz. The contrabasson goes down to 25, I think, and the standard piano goes down to 27.5. And almost no music is written that goes that low. A sub that has relatively smooth response to 25 or 30 is probably fine for almost all music. Low distortion, like with a well designed horn sub, may be more important than range, for music. Some crazy modern movies in which the infernal bass machine goes down to 10 Hz present a different story, but how strong is your house?

The IMF's state they are good to 20 Hz and test out to 20 Hz without a problem. My wife and I both enjoy feeling the sound at a moderate volume. We have full time guests so I rarely rattle the walls and floors. Just not fair to the others. I would like to feel the music more often then we do.
Also like to feel the TV programs when appropriate.

The downstairs is 30' give or take by about 18' 7 to 8' ceiling. with Khorns on the long wall. Hope to get the La Scala's done and on opposing wall. Downstairs sub would be first.

To give an Idea of how I think;

When in my 20's I built my first home. People that issued building permit asked what I was going to put upstairs?

I stated I did not know, but it should be strong enough to hold 18" of gravel throughout the upstairs. Then I oversized on the specs for the timbers.

My 24' ladder was a little short for what I needed one day, So I bought a 36' ladder which was the longest one they had in town. The owner asked what I was going to do with such a long ladder. Told him I don't know, but now I have all the lengths of ladders I'll ever need (I hope).

So I guess I would like a Sub that will play for music, but will not fall on its face when watching TV.

For your first build, it doesn't get any easier than a Cinema F-20. It will go as low as you'll need in your application and go high enough to blend with your speakers. The driver isn't the most expensive thing out there either. It's a great sub the cut your DIY teeth on. It's MUCH easier than any of the BFM subs to build, not as many panels or angles.

• Like 1

Great name for a sub. Looks like a good design if you have the room. I prefer my "mini" subs called Danley DTS 10's since they go lower in a SLIM cab, have the equivalent Sd of an 18" . Yes I know they get funky above 60 Hz. vs. 100 for the Submaximus, but I'm crossing at 50, so no mworried there. Room balancing your head and sub locations is another overriding concern aside from which sub you use.

Our RW-12d is rated at 24 hz and shakes the whole damn place with the right movie. From all I read you can do better sound-wise for a 2 ch application but it seems doubtful that you'd need a sub that goes deeper for any use. Just my $.02. Good luck!!