Lascalas with a sub = Khorn sound?

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

I've already purchased a pair of Khorns and sold the lascalas. Now that I have them and both myself and the wife have listened to them, It proved a wise choice ;). I can now say definitively that lascalas with a sub DO NOT sound like Khorns.

EDIT: my wife, who previously had never been a lover of hi-fidelity has told me that I can never sell the Khorns :D .

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

La Scala's or K-horns with a horn loaded sub sounds awesome, using a direct radiating sub with a set of horns is one of the worst combinations in my opinion.

Sounds great until it crosses over and gets sloppy.

Using a horn your crossover from mains to sub is seamless, how it should be.

I had my LaScala's as front mains for over 10 years. After buying K's and using them as fronts I noticed they sound a lot more spatial to me, due to what I am guessing would be that additional height involved and losing a little of the upper mid bass.. After moving my LaScala's to use as rears, I only then noticed how short they actually are and how a lot of the sound is more direct and in your face. I sit only about 14 feet off from my K's and this probably isn't optimal either, but I like what I'm hearing.

I am using lascala's as my fronts in a 7.2 ht. I have two synergy sub 12's. My lascalas are in the corners and the subs are to the inside of them underneath my TV wedged in a space between two bookcases and the bottom TV Stand. I had the subs before while using a pair of cf1's as mains and they sounded pretty boomy. Since adding the lascala's I don't notice the boominess anymore and I do like the tight bass I get from them. I think they just overpower the sub 12's volume. I do still have good low end rumble when watching movies but with music its much better cleaner bass than before. Not some expert by any means just giving you my experience with a similar setup as what you were considering.

La Scala's or K-horns with a horn loaded sub sounds awesome, using a direct radiating sub with a set of horns is one of the worst combinations in my opinion.

Sounds great until it crosses over and gets sloppy.

Using a horn your crossover from mains to sub is seamless, how it should be.[/quot] I have to disagree with statement I am using khorns and non horn Subs and think it sounds pretty darn good. This is just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

K-horns dig deeper in frequency but La Scala has better midbass, they sound somewhat similar and some like one over the other.

I prefer La Scala's with a good horn loaded subwoofer, you get better midbass & lower bass notes than the K-horn is capable of producing.

+1