ampsandsound Improvement on an already Awesome tube amp

I Kind of like being on the list, 30+ years in the hobby and this is the first time I have been able to audition anything. All my experience has been garnered through buy and sell, or listening to friends systems

I guess I have to bide my time then... :)

Edited by Schu

Lol... NO DOUBT I would love it, I dont own significant headphones though. I should probably let others more equipped enjoy them.

I would be more inclined to see how different the sound is between bel canto and one of your other set amplifiers... but I think that is asking way to much and I dont feel comfortable asking that from a business.

Thank you for asking justin.

I have to make shelf space for my kenzie audition, and as such could certainly provide the 3wpc SE84 for audition...................The original is awesome and provides a very good look into the new version, all you need know is the newer ones dig deeper, and stretch higher which lends to a more open stage with more air

It is speaker or headphone and so would hook straight up

More than happy to oblige, if you would like an audition, All I would ask is you cover return shipping and insurance, and be sure to pack it the same as when you get it

I will also have some nice walnut laquer LaScalas in the house by the end of the day today, and with the way the orders are rolling in right now, I'll have quite a few different networks to test with.

About time! I was beginning to thinkk we would never get you back to real speakers! Where do you plan to set them up?

Hey Craig - in the basement, right next to the workshop. They' ll be powered by a real nice Luxman receiver. These will stay stock. Colter is holding some LaScala splits for me, and when those get in here, these will be moved upstairs.

Dean, congrats on the scalas, I plan to do something sensible again myself with 2 channel, I have really lost the desire to build the big horn set up's as I did in the past

I know at one time you had the same affliction,Do you plan on keeping things simple this time around or are you going to get into the upgrade paths again ??

for me headphones made me realize that open air speakers no matter how good will never compare in the detail retrieval and so now I figure why bother trying.

I will just keep the headphones around for that, and instead set up a good system that opens up on the things I miss with headphones like

soundstage, bass thump, and a large presence

Joe

I know what you mean about KISS. Having had 3ways with Daves horns and ALK split crossovers. Then adding stereo subs and not gaining anything but complexity, my old 2way cornscala in a cornwall box is a nice return to basics. (I traded my 3ways for my 2way cornwalls back).

I was listening last night to the la sclala... Not my fav sound... I could hear why I let them go before... but the nostalgia aspect brought me back... They are good but not great compared to what the forum has helped to bring about.

Then I listened to my Harris build 2way cornscalas... I spent the next 3 hours enjoying a drink and reading the new absolute sound :-). Simple has a charm I love. (Big bad *** projects are cool, but I need a break from building them for me. (As I write this Im reminded of the split cornscala still being built in my garage). Maybe something for winter or 4th of july weekend J.

• Like 1

I think that's an interesting post Justin. I think Craig would find it equally interesting. I can make a Cornwall type speaker sound really good, but I can make a LaScala just plain sing. There's a few hotels in Michigan still ghosting the sound.

@Joe, I'm pretty much sitting and feeling exactly as you are. I will probably mod the splits with a K-510/Radian compression driver and a Beyma for HT, but the walnut LaScalas are staying stock. A more forgiving configuration works best with the level of compression used on the music I like.

Edited by DeanG