windows media player, itunes, music

i recently formatted my computer and reinstalled windows, during this process i got a new grapics card to suport 4k. new card suports audio over hdmi so i ditched the spdif cable as well. everything is working smoothly except my audio. i only get sound out of my left and right channel. blue ray movies with dolby utilizes all speakers. just itunes, and windows media player only use left and right.

is there something i am missing? i went into the properties and set it at 5.1 without rear channels, i changed to a few other properties, but when it did use all the speakers the quality of a flac file was crap! it sounds good at 5.1 though. i have the output set at 24 bit as well to rule that out. i am wondering if it is a difference in audio processors. the last time i was using onboard intel hd sound, this time i am using the nvida hd sound on a 660 card (if i remember right)

it also seemed to sound a bit better using spdif, even though hdmi is supposed to sound better. am i wrong with this? i also searched online about this problem. but it seems that most help is total loss of sound, not just a single channel.

No one??

I am trying to understand your situation before I give an uneducated guess at a solution.

I see what your music sources are but what preamp/amp, integrated amp, or receiver are you using?

it also seemed to sound a bit better using spdif, even though hdmi is supposed to sound better. am i wrong with this?

Well HDMI may sound better because it can pass the uncompressed high resolution Bluray codecs Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA, digital coax and toslink can't.

Bill

Edited by willland

No one??

I am trying to understand your situation before I give an uneducated guess at a solution.

I see what your music sources are but what preamp/amp, integrated amp, or receiver are you using?

Bill

it also seemed to sound a bit better using spdif, even though hdmi is supposed to sound better. am i wrong with this?

Well HDMI may sound better because it can pass the uncompressed high resolution Bluray codecs Dolby TrueHD and DTS HDMA.

Bill

the system is in my sig. it is the living room one of course. i read about the hdmi passing uncompressed sound as well, that is why it baffles me that spdif sounds better. my educated guess was telling me that nvidia sound doesn't sound as well as intel hd sound. but that all kinds of speculation. my ears are not near as trained as most of yours, but i can't hardly listen to the music over hdmi, at upper levels it sounds harsh and shrill. totally not near what it used to sound like. this change really sets me off.

i have no amps or anything other than the hk 1710. i miss my old sound!!!

ok, so this is what I have come up with. through spdif it seems to run through a crossover before hitting my hk 1710, the crossover is untouched on my receiver, and the internal crossover in the rf7ii seems to do a great job of separating this signal. on the other hand, though hdmi it sends raw full spectrum sound to my receiver, it amps it up, and sends it to the rf7ii, the internal crossover then bugs out because it cant handle this much bass, (song is bass I love you) and sounds like overall crap at higher volumes.

my next question is this, will the dean crossover do a better job of separating the highs and lows? because I enjoy the added bass and being able to see those 10s actually move together. to be honest I like the sound a little better at lower volume as well. but it is rare for me to listen to music at low levels.

Guest Steven1963

So, if I am understanding you correctly, you've got your issue figured out and you are determined to use HDMI instead of the more pleasing sound coming from the SPDIF - so to compensate for your desire to use the HDMI you want to change the crossovers in yours speakers in hopes it will sound better?

I believe what you meant to say is Spdif is coming through the PC dac (no crossover in there) and Hdmi is sending a digital file direct to your reciever / amp

without going through the pc dac

adding a crossover will not change the character of the music, its main goal purpose is to change the start and cutoff points of the frequencies going to the speakers..........while it is true better components can change the sound it is not a night and day difference in sound

it sounds to me like you are unhappy with your dac via hdmi, I am not familiar with your recievers if they have an onboard dac that converts hdmi to analog I would say that is the sound you are unhappy with

a new crossover will not solve that

one difference between the different outputs could be the gain, check volume levels on the computer

if the gain is too high out of the HDMI it could sound harsh.

Also if you are going out thru HDMI, you are bypassing any processing from that sound card right?

One more thing, you are testing with quality sound files right? crappy stuff sounds crappier with better equipment.

but when it did use all the speakers the quality of a flac file was crap! it sounds good at 5.1 though.

i don't understand this sentence, which is it? all the speakers sounded like crap, or 5.1 sounds good?

yes i am using lossless, what i have figured out so far is not that there is any difference in sound quality, it seems that when full sound spectrum is sent to my front speakers, at high volumes, the crossover cant seperate and the horn distorts when bass is applied, that or the computer distorts it somehow. when i use a software crossover in the speaker preferences, then the sound is great at high volumes, but i am pretty much not using the 10s on the rf7s. id really like to see the 10s being fully utilized. i hope this helps yall out somewhat, i do love music and what not, but i just dont know as much as the majority of you guys.

the 5.1 statement, using a bluray rip or what not, all speakers are being used. it sounds pretty amazing. but music seems to only run on the fronts and sub. it also sounds like crap at high volumes.

is there anyone near clarksville or nashville tn that could come out??

It will depend on the hardware as to which sounds better. Also there has been discussion on other forums about hdmi being the worst transfer as far as jitter and other digital issues. Digital through Toslink or S/PDIF may be better in your particular instance. Also the software and source files play a lot as to capabilities, multi-channel, bit loss, etc.

The only problem with Toslink and S/PDIF is that they can't pass encoding such as DTS-HD Master or Dolby TrueHD. In your instance this might not matter. Also many times these are converted to LPCM from computers. Another worry and potential issue when using HDMI.

it seems that when full sound spectrum is sent to my front speakers, at high volumes, the crossover cant seperate and the horn distorts when bass is applied, that or the computer distorts it somehow. when i use a software crossover in the speaker preferences, then the sound is great at high volumes, but i am pretty much not using the 10s on the rf7s. id really like to see the 10s being fully utilized.

Just a thought here.

Could it be that the HK 1710 just can't handle the RF-7II's at high volumes when running full range and is clipping?

Bill

it seems that when full sound spectrum is sent to my front speakers, at high volumes, the crossover cant seperate and the horn distorts when bass is applied, that or the computer distorts it somehow. when i use a software crossover in the speaker preferences, then the sound is great at high volumes, but i am pretty much not using the 10s on the rf7s. id really like to see the 10s being fully utilized.

Just a thought here.

Could it be that the HK 1710 just can't handle the RF-7II's at high volumes when running full range and is clipping?

Bill

Good call Bill

Edited by joessportster