Can raw birch be stained after tung oil?

My guess is that just putting on a stain is not going to work.

If I had to experiment I would apply the stain using 320 Wet or Dry paper. This is going to scrub the tung oil. I'd expect a slurry to be formed and you'll have to wipe it off with a tee-shirt or paper towel.

Overall it is not possible to predict. If there is some inconspicuous spot, start there.

WMcD

Tung oil works similar to boiled linseed oil and polyurethane. Tung and blo, do organically what poly does. They are self catalyzing... hardening as they dry and sealing the wood. I think Gil's idea is a good one.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Tung oil is great and I use it on everything. It gives such a rich, natural and HARD finish.

That said, stain will not penetrate the tung oil. The oil is the sealant.

The stain will just sit on the tung oil and eventually will rub off with everything that touches it.

Removing tung oil is a mechanical process (sanding/steel wool with mineral spirits), there is no 'stripper' for oil finishes (that works).

If you were looking to go darker with your existing finish; I believe there are tinted Tung oils. Additional coats will darken your piece.

Good luck.

MAZ, I agree with you, for the most part, but, have found Easy Off oven cleaner will remove Tung Oil & Boiled Linseed Oil; at least on rifle stocks.

Prolly would work on speakers; but, you have to use this OUTSIDE, with GLOVES AND figure a way to rinse COMPLETELY with WATER AND NOT damage the cabs or components.

Have never tried this, so YMMV.

Anyone else think this may work?

If anyone tries this, be very careful!!! Maybe a small test area on the bottom 1st?

MAZ, I agree with you, for the most part, but, have found Easy Off oven cleaner will remove Tung Oil & Boiled Linseed Oil; at least on rifle stocks.

Prolly would work on speakers; but, you have to use this OUTSIDE, with GLOVES AND figure a way to rinse COMPLETELY with WATER AND NOT damage the cabs or components.

Have never tried this, so YMMV.

Anyone else think this may work?

If anyone tries this, be very careful!!! Maybe a small test area on the bottom 1st?

Gun stocks are not veneer. I would not try this on veneer.

I think that OLDTIMER maybe referring to the issues of water and veneer.

Things can start peeling if the veneer glue is compromised by too much moisture or hard chemicals.

Solid woods are more forgiving than paper thin glued on veneers

Edited by MAZ