GOT A TUBE AMP!

Brac

"... I can honestly say what people charge to do this kind of work IT IS NOT ENOUGH lol......."

Shhh! Don't encourage a rate increase!

Why you sending something in soon? I think its about time I exceeded minimum wage in this business ;) while I'm tossing in a winky with all said and done minimum wage sadly is not all that far from the truth.......

Edited by NOSValves

You never know... So far, I've been successfully talking myself out of checking on a MC225 just down the road.

Your prices are very fair, especially considering your great results! If only shipping and parts didn't cost so much.

It's not about how rich you (we) get in this business. It's about more than that. I feel it is our duty to preserve, based on the ability to "do it" is reason enough. Very few people left in this repair business that do the job right.

Craig and Paul certainly made some good points! Heck, if we charged what our skills are worth (similar to those of other craftsmen- one need only look at what plumbers and electricians charge) we would be on easy street for sure. When someone approaches me to restore "grandma's old radio" I do it for free, but if they insist on paying me something for my time it comes out to around $2.00/hour (or let them buy me a lunch special at the local Chinese take out place)!!! Being "retired," and no longer having any overhead for a shop, makes that possible. And, as mentioned in previous posts, I accept nothing for my time and labor when designing and building amps. The person buys the parts and I do the work. It's all about preservation of history and "ancient" technology, and I am truly thankful to have the skills to offer. Seeing the look of sheer bliss on someone's face the first time they hear their favorite music through one of my amps is the only compensation I require.

Maynard

I have wanted to try out some tube gear for a long time, so I couldn't help myself. I hooked up the amp to my iphone and a Forte and turned it on. It was made in 1966 and appears to be all stock and sounds awesome, deep full and rich, (and this being fed from an iphone). Really wish finances would allow me to aquire another and have them brought to spec. I then tried plugging in the pre and don't see any glow in the tubes, however I did not connect it to the amp (connector looks like a tube base) should they glow without the amp connected? Anyway it was a bad day yesterday and the wife fell in a hole and broke her leg, looks like my first tube gear will have to find a new home. Pics coming in a few

I'm just a caretaker of this vintage stuff. I try keep my hands out of them for the most part so I don't get into trouble! My job is to just enjoy and not screw them up until they are passed on.

And bring me something to work on from time to time, and talk great about me all the time ;)

Edited by paul79

I'm just a caretaker of this vintage stuff. I try keep my hands out of them for the most part so I don't get into trouble! My job is to just enjoy and not screw them up until they are passed on.

And bring me something to work on from time to time, and talk great about me all the time ;)

Haven't run across anything lately that I couldn't live without. You are first on my list for any solid state rebuild for sure!

I have wanted to try out some tube gear for a long time, so I couldn't help myself. I hooked up the amp to my iphone and a Forte and turned it on. It was made in 1966 and appears to be all stock and sounds awesome, deep full and rich, (and this being fed from an iphone). Really wish finances would allow me to aquire another and have them brought to spec. I then tried plugging in the pre and don't see any glow in the tubes, however I did not connect it to the amp (connector looks like a tube base) should they glow without the amp connected? Anyway it was a bad day yesterday and the wife fell in a hole and broke her leg, looks like my first tube gear will have to find a new home. Pics coming in a few

The preamp probably is designed to get all its power from the power amp. It will not work unless you plug that tube base looking thing into the amp.

Theres a real nice looking ampex pre here in ft wayne IN on clist for sale. i know the guy selling it. he wants $350 and likely would haggle a bit although this thread talking about vintage tube gear(even vintage solid state) then the fact when knowing nothing of its past a must to service is so important also to preserve this gear for prosperity.

Myself i have had a couple units that i have plugged in and used not knowing the need to have a good tech go through to get up to standards for proper use after years of sitting. I now know what can happen...not that i had an issue with my ignorance in the past luckily, luckily i have read and learned stuff drys out for one...couple vintage units i now have are stock and even a vintage factory modded unit that i sometimes use as art or conversation pieces with certain visitors...Until one day possibly have Craig or a local tech i use for tube gear in particular for clean bills of health...

Some collectors to prefer that gear stay factory stock for some reasons that are often beyond myself although these vintage units are important on many levels at any value as well as condition...I tossed a few units or left them behind in the past when i knew some were even to the point of no possibility of a rebuild/conditioning. These days I know mostly a couple local techs, the one a solid state minded engineer who i donate to for parts then get discounts on work i may need done and stuff that has to be looked at periodically to keep my units at peak performance. So even junk pays off. And in electronics at least in my view vintage stuff, dont get me wrong brand new(or close to or just out of warranty gear) fried gear has value...

Many audio peeps including myself overlook the value of internals in toasted gear. So with my addition to this thread although being moot to some one day you to will understand...I still wake up in the middle of the night in cold sweats shaking in tears remembering the vintage and modern marantz gear that needed serviced because i left in the basement of the last house i sold. Honestly looking back(only about 7 years ago) if i would had put about $5-600 into that marantz gear at least it would have a value of about $1800 or more.

Now i have 2 large closets, a large chest, a large footstool with storage inside, a 1 car garage and a room at my folks house clean and organized although filled with some of what is audio gear that is in need of service...some i can do, most i have no idea what is needed although i feel strength due to my extras in my collection lol its all a part of me and one day all will find its place being enjoyed once again. Or at least thats my plan for the future of that gear. Boxed up and orderly just not of use at this time due to need of a good tech or help and time plus money or the latter not to be confused with anything to do with a landfill...By the way I own out of all of that only 1 cassette player and 1 vcr(they are nearby and ready for use as is an 8track placyer)...There are a few dvd units...many receivers, amps, parts, some speakers(some in cabs), cables, no cable boxes lol, some cases, material(no vcr tapes haha), a few hundred cassettes etc...

A bit off topic post with a bit of digressing yet i felt moved to share...I do know others with so much more...even a friend with over 50, approx 70's consoles just to name the largest in the compilation of his gear collection although he is a very good tech and engineer...I would not even consider him a collector. His home is very, very nice and extremely clean as well even when you stop by without a prior notice or invite.

Grace to all