Need help finding what speakers may be worth

AileenS

Hello, I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone could help me. I have a pair of, I guess you could call them vintage, Klipsch Cornwall CBR loudspeakers. The tags on the backs have consecutive serial numbers and say 1980 Klipsch and Associates. So I'm guessing that that was when they were manufactured? They were a gift from my ex-stepfather several years ago. We used them in our home as part of our home theatre system setup. They were fabulous. But about a year and a half ago we moved and our new home can no longer accommodate the size these speakers take up. They have been stored inside our home (not in a garage or anywhere they might be comprised by heat). And worked perfectly before our move (and I'm assuming, still do). They are unfinished and unfortunately have a couple of water stains on the tops of the speakers. My mother, in her wisdom, thought they looked too bare and sat a couple of flower pots on them. And I wasn't aware that that the pots leaked (or she overwatered) until the pots were moved. But it's just a round water stain where the pots sat. I'm thinking if they were finished that it wouldn't be an issue (but I'm not an expert, so wouldn't know for sure). Anyways, to make a long story short (too late, right?), I am looking to sell these speakers, probably locally through Craigslist (don't want to pay to ship these heavy suckers) and wondering what I should ask for them. I've tried looking online but I see the prices running from one end to the other, so I have no idea... If anyone could help. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks :)

post-58742-0-56860000-1407190875_thumb.j

post-58742-0-87980000-1407190895_thumb.j

post-58742-0-74820000-1407190909_thumb.j

post-58742-0-43580000-1407190919_thumb.j

post-58742-0-98140000-1407190929_thumb.j

• Like 1

Cool! You might be surprised what some folks here do in repairing or finishing speakers. Is that crack running all the way through on the top of the one speaker?

Others more familiar with the Cornwall will get with you as to valuation.

Pics of the entire tops and sides and close front backs would help in that.

Hope you like taking pics, they will help your quest.

According to the serial number, those were built in 1984 (1st two numbers designates year of manufacture, beginning in 1983). If they were made in 1980, there would be a U in the serial number.

In their current condition, provided that the speakers are in decent shape, everything is original, and they still sound good, I think that $500 wouldn't be asking too much, or too little. If you wanted to put some work into the cabinets, you could probably clean them up and get a few hundred more.

Good luck with your sale.

• Like 1

I think you giuys are being very optimistic.

The first strike against them is that they are raw birch (nothing special). The second strike is the cosmetic problems. Some folks do not emphasize the cosmetic problems, however most do. That becomes a real problem and drops the price considerably. My advice is to keep them and enjoy them.

Raw Birch can be stained into anything you want, as was intended & those flaws negated; if the stain is dark enough.

Agreed!

Actually, if the edges are in good shape. then veneering them could make them look spectacular and raise the price considerably. Although I am not sure what the OP's skill level is with that sort of thing.

I'd say list them for $700 and set your negotiation floor at $500.
:o

It's obvious I have no clue what I'm talking about. Tom and Sancho have helped me see that, while they have potential, the current state puts them lower.

clint-nod.gif

• Like 1

I'd say list them for $700 and set your negotiation floor at $500.

:o

It's obvious I have no clue what I'm talking about. Tom and Sancho have helped me see that, while they have potential, the current state puts them lower.

Think you are spot on Price, as is, if function is OK.

Edited by Sancho Panza
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your input. As far as I can tell, the only "visual" damage are the 2 water stains. There are no cracks or wear and tear of any other kind. Those lines you see are just the natural look of the wood. And as far as I know they still work perfectly. They did up until the day we moved and they've been sitting in the corner of our gameroom since then. Hopefully I can ask, like suggested, around $700 and negotiate down some? I'm sure if someone refinishes them they will be a wonderful addition to someone's sound system. We enjoyed them while we could. But now we're more in need of the space (and the $$). :) Tnanks again for all the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everybody who responded to my post about what my speakers might be worth. I posted them on Craigslist and did as several of you suggested and listed them for $700, with the intentions of getting (hopefully) at least $500. Well, within 15 minutes of posting I got numerous texts, calls and emails. I ended up selling them to a very nice man who drove for 4 hours to buy them (for $600! - yay!!). I hope he gets as much enjoyment out of them as we did. Thanks again everybody!! :)

• Like 1