CornforteII

Looking for advice on a potential Fall, Winter project. Has anyone replaced the midrange on a Cornwall I, or II with a K53 driver and Tractrix horn from a forte II? I know that Bob Crites makes some hybrid speakers, but not sure if anything he builds comes close. Aside from tweaking crossovers, anyone have any other recommendations?

The Cornwall is my next favorite speaker, next to the forte II. However I cannot get beyond it's one perceived flaw which to me is the compressed midrange. Curious if anyone has tried or heard this type of modification?

Appreciate any and all input.

Best regards,

John

if you are going to build a new baffle and buy a new horn/driver then go with a mid horn driver that has a two inch exit. my two cents. for two more cents I would suggest that you get two pair of Bob's 12" woofer the one he sells to replace KLF30 woofers and build a KLF30 style cabinet with a two inch exit large format mid horn driver for a three way or a 1.4 or 1.5 inch large format driver and horn and go two way. Take a look at the JBL435 which is a three inch diaphragm 1.5" exit Beryllium diaphragm. Pick a matching horn and be very happy because Be diaphragms are as good as they get. That was a good deal for only four cents. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

if you are going to build a new baffle and buy a new horn then go with a mid horn that has a two inch exit. my two cents. for two more cents I would suggest that you bet two pair of Bobs 12" woofer the one he sells to replace KLF30 woofers and build a KLF30 style cabinet with a two inch exit large format mid horn for a three way or a 1.4 or 1.5 inch large format driver and horn and go two way. Take a look at the JBL435 which is a three inch diaphragm 1.5" exit Beryllium diaphragm.Pick a matching horn and be very happy because Be diaphragms are as good as they get. That was a good deal for only four cents. Best regards Moray James.

That would require a whole new crossover correct?

if you are going to build a new baffle and buy a new horn then go with a mid horn that has a two inch exit. my two cents. for two more cents I would suggest that you bet two pair of Bobs 12" woofer the one he sells to replace KLF30 woofers and build a KLF30 style cabinet with a two inch exit large format mid horn for a three way or a 1.4 or 1.5 inch large format driver and horn and go two way. Take a look at the JBL435 which is a three inch diaphragm 1.5" exit Beryllium diaphragm.Pick a matching horn and be very happy because Be diaphragms are as good as they get. That was a good deal for only four cents. Best regards Moray James.

Moray;

That is certainly worth 4 cents, but more than I want to take on at this point. What are your thoughts on m original idea? Do you think it will help open the midrange?

Thanks......

Best regards,

John

That would require a whole new crossover correct?

Yes it would require a new or revised crossover. I imagine there are crossover savvy members here who could help. Best regards Moray James.

Moray;

That is certainly worth 4 cents, but more than I want to take on at this point. What are your thoughts on m original idea? Do you think it will help open the midrange?

Thanks......

Best regards,

John

Yes it would help with the mid. Why don't you figure out what kind of budget you may have to play with then you can actually see what options you might be available to you. You could find a nice horn with a two inch throat onto which you could install an adapter so that you could then use your existing driver and crossover for now. This would then allow you to later switch to a large format driver without having to make any changes to the cabinet. Or you could find a nice round tractrix horn to mount on top of the cabinet and not have to make any changes to the baffle short of a blank for the old mid horn. I have a set of the Forte ll mid horns if that is what you really want to go with let me know if you are interested in them. take a look at some of the links below. Best regards Moray James.

http://gpoint-audio.com/diy/horns-pl-diy-2/tractrix-horns/

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/tractrix-midrange-horn/

http://inlowsound.com/

PS: you could build new cabinets, get four new 4 ohm woofers and build a larger cabinet for your Forte ll parts use the same crossover you could move much more air than a single fifteen, save the Forte ll cabinets if you ever wanted to sell them with the stock parts. lots of possible options.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Sounds good John please keep us posted. What ever you have to throw at this project in terms of your physical resources (equipment/skills, personal or available to you) your time and your funds there is sure to be a number of available solutions that will work for you. Best regards Moray James

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

I believe what you are describing is basically a KP-301-II?

A KP302 ll is essentially a pro Chorus with ti horns. Unless I am mistaken John was suggesting taking a Cornwall and swapping out the K600 for the mid horn from a Forte ll. but a KP301 ll would be an excellent option as far as I am concerned. Perhaps a used pair could be found for a reasonable sum? Good suggestion. what do you think John? Best regards Moray James.

PS: Easy to add port tubes 7" long to a KP301 ll to tune it as low as a Chorus ll and you get a much better woofer in a Chorus or a KP301 ll than you do with a Cornwall. So I guess it depends upon how much you like the Cornwall woofer sound.

Edited by moray james
  • Like 1

Moray;

Yes, you were correct in my original thinking. The more I thik about it though I will probably end up with a bastardization of a Chorus II. LOL..... Think I may look at other options, Like a Cornscala.... Need to think this one through a little better.

Will keep you posted in which direction I decide to head.

John

I created a "mini" Chorus II using a pair of Forte II's with a Chorus II crossover and KP-250 12" woofers. This is a huge improvement over stock Forte II's. I prefer the sound of the Chorus over the Cornwall personally, don't know your take on the two. You can buy the Eminence Pro12 drivers new on eBay for $110 each shipped. Hope this helps.

Jesse

• Like 1