Suggestions for Wides

timdog5000

Good evening all,

I've been wanting to try Wides in my system. I was considering moving my RB 81ii's from surround back to use as Wides. I was also thinking of getting RB 61ii's to replace them. If the RB 61ii would work as surround back could I also add RB 61s as Heights? or would I be better off sticking with the 81s for surround back and height and wide? I would love to timbre match my RF 7ii and use a pair of them as Wides but that's just not going to happen :( Anyone have any suggestions on what I should use. I will not be putting this info into action for a while because I am still wanting a second sub but just curious on how to plan . I'm hoping some of the new line Klipsch comes out with will have Atmos ceiling channels or I will be asking for suggestions on which speaker to use for them as well. while were on that subject should I wait a generation of AVR before switching to an Atmos enabled AVR? is it like a new car model you want to wait until they work the bugs out? any and all suggestions appreciated, thanks a lot, have a good evening.

• Like 1

I have tried FH, FW, SB. The SB has the most impact IMHO. The FH make a glorified 5.1 system which I am currently using. The FW spread the sound stage out and can have an impact on films with a lot of panning. Remeber, no movies have discrete content for these channels and it is a matrix effect derived from other channels. Also, most avr's will make you choose one option for a movie. The sound is slightly different in the room with these three options. Which did I like the best, SB. FH and FW channels need space to work properly. Six ft. from the mains is good for FW and 3 plus ft. above for FH. I get the same amount of enjoyment out of all three options since 90+ percent of the movie is in front of you where the mains and center channel are the stars. Also, if the room is not large enough, the benefits of these extra surround speakers is somewhat lost. Spatial cues need space to help localize the changes in the soundfield. In a small space, all these extra speakers cause sound congestion.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

I also second that notion. 7.2 is exteu immersive with dedicated channels. I tried out 9.1 before completing my theater and I didn't care for it. A well setup 7.2 system will outperform any of these other configurations. When I completed my they are undecided on just a 7.2 system and couldn't be happier. In Dolby Atmos. It seems these systems are better in a very large Room. I you must try it out I would wait until you see it with Dolby Atmos content first.

You have to try Heights & Wides for yourself; forget what others do.

I definitely will try the Wides and heights but just won't be in a hurry to purchase speakers thinking I've been missing out all this time.

Who knows maybe I'll think it's the "cats pajamas"

My god somebody stop me I've turned into my father on that last reference!

I've never heard them but I ama discrete kind of guy. If nothing is out in 11.1 then I am not the slightest bit interested. And for guys that say oh it makes the soundstage so much bigger and more immersive. See my room for pics of my insanely oversized speakers. Trust me it don't get any bigger sounding for me in my room.

• Like 1

I really like my heights. Cool when an airplane or helicopter flies off the top of my screen. Audyssey DSX set to Dolby PLIIX will also matrix them with my center on a lot of scenes and pulls the sound to the center of my screen.

Experiment if you have the extra speakers and are curious......

td, all I'm saying is I'd try your RB-81II as Front Presence speakers, temporarily, with the AVR you own now...

from the product info on it: "CINEMA DSP 3D is expandable to 11.2 channels (with front and rear presence speakers) by adding an external amp--so the RX-A1010 is a receiver that can grow with you."