I Need The Collective Wisdom Of The Forum

derrickdj1

I just finished my summer project on my subwoofers. I added another Behringer I Nuke 6000 in the mix to power the subs. I now have a ground loop issue. I have isolated to the interaction of the 2 I Nuke 6000's and the Acurus amp. The I Nuke 3000's don't cause the problem when they are on and just driving two subs. The gain structure of the I Nuke 6000 amps is much higher. I am looking for a cheap remeady. Would something like this work? http://cdn.opentip.com/Electronics/Monoprice-Channel-Ground-Loop-Isolator-p-1935200.html?gclid=CMylgOS3lsACFQqGaQodZbMAQw

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

I just finished my summer project on my subwoofers. I added another Behringer I Nuke 6000 in the mix to power the subs. I now have a ground loop issue. I have isolated to the interaction of the 2 I Nuke 6000's and the Acurus amp. The I Nuke 3000's don't cause the problem when they are on and just driving two subs. The gain structure of the I Nuke 6000 amps is much higher. I am looking for a cheap remeady. Would something like this work? http://cdn.opentip.com/Electronics/Monoprice-Channel-Ground-Loop-Isolator-p-1935200.html?gclid=CMylgOS3lsACFQqGaQodZbMAQw

For 8 bucks its worth a try, iv used things like this back in the day.

The cheater plug attached to the Acurus amp greatly reduces the hum. The hum does not change with increase volume to the avr/amp. I will look and see if I have two more cheater plugs to put on the I Nuke 6000 amps. The hum is not noticeable with most media at -30 or more but, I want to hear a pin drop, lo.

i think you should form a committee to study the problem, report back with findings and recommendations and let the collective wisdom of the forum discuss the findings for 6-8 months before advising you on the best course of action. The committee should be made up of more than eight; but, less than 10 forum members in good standing; or 38 forum moderators. Please disregard any previously received advice as such advice was not sanctioned by the committee.

Most likely need an isolation transformer. have you tried a cheater plug to be sure it's a ground loop issue?

The cheater plug should help a lot.

Edit: I see you have tried them

Just kicking around some ideal and keeping a little humor in the mix.

Most likely need an isolation transformer. have you tried a cheater plug to be sure it's a ground loop issue?

The cheater plug to the power console help a lot. Still not completely silent.

You get what you pay for. Cheap transformers suck. Especially at low freqs.

I will keep that in mind.

Edited by derrickdj1

Many moons ago I used to do live sound. We would go to bars, dance clubs, resturants, even parking lots. Some venues had the worst power ever. Sometimes we had to run the 15,000 watt + P.A. off a couple of extension cords (how scary is that). Using a cheater plug, (although it works) is not a good idea. leaving your amps un-grounded is not the way they were designed to work. Finding the source is the best way. By chance do you have cable or satellite tv. Try un-pluging it and see if the hum goes away. When I first moved into my house the HT hummed. I narrowed down to Cox cable. I called Cox out and they said they were grounded to the electric company so I called the electric company they said Cox was not grounding properly. So i called my electrician freind and we pounded a 6ft grounding rod and grounded Cox properly. The hum went away. I know sometimes this cant be done. Like in live sound, we had a secret weapon "the Hum Eliminator" Looks like the the 4 cord box you picked out. When I had my HT hum I put the Hum Eliminator on the front right +left and it got rid of the hum but the sound field just collapsed. the imaging was gone. I think as long as you keep secret weapon to just the subs I think you will be ok.
Good luck, Alain hum3.jpg

The cheater plug is a diagnostic tool.

For years high end amps had :lift switches" that eliminated ground loops by basically doing the same thing as using a cheater plug. No one seemed to mind. I've been using one for about 7 years on an amp I have. I put it on there to see if what I had was a ground loop. After it fixed it, I never went back with an isolation transformer. it's been used a couple times a week since then.

Did you notice that this device will take 100 watts max?

Derrick,

You are looking for something to isolate the line level signals to the power amps, correct? Not something for the speaker level output, correct? I don't fully grasp what that Monoprice thingy does. 100 watts through those dinky transformers? and RCA connectors? What?

I have been out of town so I have not yet solved the problem.  There is a device I seen 6 months ago that I need to track down on the internet.  I can't remember the name of the device.  I think I could isolate the line level signal from the power amp or the two subs.

Derrick,

I have tried several times to help people on this forum with noise/hum problems. In some cases I think I helped. Do yourself a favor and go to the Jensen Transformer website and read their app. notes and white papers on how to minimize noise/hum in audio(and video) systems. Their approaches to troubleshooting are scientific and repeatable. And if all else (free and easy solutions) fail they make the best isolation transformers on the planet.

I have no affiliation with Jensen Transformers etc....etc.....