Large Heresy Mod

longdrive03

Current project is building a larger vented Heresy.  I'm using most of the guts from 1985 H (with larger 8 x 12 mid horn and K-79 tweeter instead of K-77).  Updated the caps included 33 uf cap on E2 crossover and separating the network to allow biwire.  Cabinet is 40" tall, 15" wide and 12" deep with 3/4" BB ply on sides, inside top and    three internal braces, 3/4" mdf on back and bottom, and 3/4"mdf outer and 1/2" ply laminated together on motor board.

Using cherry veneer on sides, top, back and bottom and waterfall bubinga on the motor board.  Solid bubinga trim on front sides and top and solid cherry trim on top.  Will be ported on back.  This sucker is heavy without speakers installed.  May need a truck to move it.

post-21976-0-14900000-1408394022_thumb.j

post-21976-0-96740000-1408394076_thumb.j

That is a really nice looking box, an obviously very well thought out and executed project.  It physically looks a lot like my giant CF-4's, at 108 pounds each. It is sitting beside my DIY SEOS speaker, Fusion 10.  Compare the mat my speaker is sitting on, to yours.  :lol: 

post-58280-0-83100000-1408394678_thumb.j

I'm looking forward to your listening reviews.

Edited by wvu80

Thanks WVU.  I play to weigh these puppies if it doesn't tear up my wife's scales!!!  I imagine their around 70 lbs now without speakers. 

Were you the member that installed foam/wool on the inside of the woofer spokes???  What did you use?   I've been using mortite on the outside of the spoke but haven't tried the inside.  Thanks.  

I did not use the foam/wool, I think Alex G did that.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151115-epic-cf4-mods-amp-rack-build/#entry1753343

+++

I used a tube of pure GE Silicone Seal per horn to bring the "rap test" sound down about an octave, with no more ringing when rapping the horn with a knuckle. Mine has the K-63 compression driver.

post-58280-0-40660000-1408408525_thumb.j

post-58280-0-23100000-1408407767_thumb.j

I then took out the 2 bottom sheets of stock foam and replaced them with a pound or less of Fiber-fil, from Wal-mart.  It is in there loose around the ports, but not blocking the ports.

The overall effect was that it eliminated that harsh distortion in the mid-range that completely irritated me, and lowered the overall sound about a third of an octave. So now a piano note has gone from a tinny, inaccurate sound, to a MUCH more natural and accurate sound.  A piano no longer sounds thin and nasal, but full and accurate.  I feel like I lost NOTHING with these mods.

Edited by wvu80

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

Another.

As I recall, I had to mod the crossover to get a reasonably flat response.

BTW, very nice work.

Dave

DSCF5074.jpg

Edited by GotHover