Wisdom needed...difficulty with an ebay purchase....

jimjimbo

After getting quotes on my 8080 wile running my 9090, i never got it repaired,

An 8080, It was my first real receiver and I loved it, gave it to a relative when the front light went out and have been sorry since.

I use a old HK 930 with Cornwalls and love the sound.

With SOME of the old receivers the parts used are as good as some of the separates today. They at least sound like it to me. 

Im glad to be rid of them, big, heavy, do miss the "All-in-one" function, it just like an old car after a wile, how much do you want to keep putting into it to keep it alive? 

I will never for get standing in the PX in Yokosuka japan, and every unit they had was under $200 bucks, every time my boat came in i bought at least one and was shipping them back to the states for free. my friends were quite happy, some sold the units and sent me the money(Good Money) in wich i turned around and started buying nikon and cannon stuff. 

• Moderators
minermark, on 20 Aug 2014 - 5:27 PM, said:

dtel, on 20 Aug 2014 - 5:21 PM, said:

minermark, on 20 Aug 2014 - 11:34 AM, said: After getting quotes on my 8080 wile running my 9090, i never got it repaired,

An 8080, It was my first real receiver and I loved it, gave it to a relative when the front light went out and have been sorry since.

I use a old HK 930 with Cornwalls and love the sound.

With SOME of the old receivers the parts used are as good as some of the separates today. They at least sound like it to me. 

Im glad to be rid of them, big, heavy, do miss the "All-in-one" function, it just like an old car after a wile, how much do you want to keep putting into it to keep it alive? 

I will never for get standing in the PX in Yokosuka japan, and every unit they had was under $200 bucks, every time my boat came in i bought at least one and was shipping them back to the states for free. my friends were quite happy, some sold the units and sent me the money(Good Money) in wich i turned around and started buying nikon and cannon stuff. 

Oh I agree and didn't like the all in one function either but some had really good sound. But when you have one working there worth having, when it breaks it can be a nightmare.

Just think if you could have saved a few NIB, and camera lenses surely have not gone down in price.

• 3 weeks later...

What I would like to see happen is to get the estimate from the shop, and have this person cover half the cost. Is that fair/reasonable? I will be very interested to read your opinions. Thanks.

this is what can come of buying old stuff. For all you know the unit was working fine when it was shipped and the vendor is as unhappy as you are about this. Your money is far better spent on new or much newer than this unit and local is always to be preferred. If the vendor will take it back then send it back and eat your loss. If you are going to take it to a tech then have him replace all the electrolytic capacitors. You are paying shop rate probably 75 an hour he can quote you on that without having to open it if he is any good or at least give you a very close estimate. Old receivers are especially a pig to work on and not good value as far as restoration goes. Buy something a lot newer and you can sleep at night. That will be a lot cheaper than messing with old stuff that is difficult to repair and offers very limited ability to replace parts as there is not always available space inside to do so. Some modern parts will not fit in and original parts are sometimes no longer available as they were custom made for such units. This is your hard knocks learning course and it happens to most of us. Move on to the next project. Best regards Moray James.