Something smaller than CF-4's

Mike Keough

When I owned a nice big house and had room for a sound room I had a pair of Epics, driven by a Denon 3000.  I love vinyl so the whole thing was more than satisfactory, it was freaking wonderful.  Those speakers are long gone, as is the house.  I now live in a third floor flat in San Francisco which I share with my Old Lady and two other people.  We kinda took a vote and I have been allowed to set up the Salon as a sound room.  I rebuilt my Technics turntable and am going to repair my two Beogram RX-2's, and am now looking at speakers.  I have been carrying around a set of RG 1's for about 45 years and they are not sounding too damned good.  I understand from Klipsch that there are no re-coning kits or anything available, which will upgrade the speakers so am looking for something smaller... and within a rather limited budget.  I loved the Epic's for all of the normal resons.  Warmth, clarity, how clear they sounded at either high or low volumn, and  natrually they were incredibly beautiful.  I am going to have to make my purchase via Craigs List or some other cheap place so am looking for suggestions as what to buy.  Is it even possible to find that great sound with a smaller speaker?  Thanks for reading, Mike

post-34839-0-04980000-1408893973_thumb.j

the RB series... book shelf's are a good choice for you if you want to stay with Klipsch. they are reference series speakers and can be found via CL from time to time and on eBay all the time.

RB81ii's are at the top of the food chain there and are vented and quite good sounding for a little bookshelf.

another choice might be to try and find a Heresy for your set up if you enjoy the heritage sound.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

not sure what your size limits are but the forte 2's would be more than half the size of cf-4's & will sound as good as them but not have the peak output level.  if you need smaller the quartets are the same as the forte just a smaller 10" woofer.  these arent bookshelf speakers but are very compact floor speakers.  & according to some the forte is one of t he best overall sounding kipsch speakers.  used value cant be beat at $300-$400 for most on craigslist.  

another good value for the performance is the classic kg4 or others in the mid-sized kg series.

I found a pair of KSB 2.1 in Rosewood for a hundred bucks.  Nothing in the RB series and only one other set a KG-3 for two hundred bucks.  This kinda works because I am going to send my MMC4 to be rebuilt.  NOthing like getting one's system up to snuff.  What da ya think about the speakers?  Mike

The KG3 would be a much better choice than those synergy bookshelf speakers. But still a much smaller sound than the CF-4s.

However, the KG series has a definite sound signature which I very much enjoy. They have a lot of character, soul, and entertainment value.

I view the synergy series as somewhat soulless.

not sure what your size limits are but the forte 2's would be more than half the size of cf-4's

Forte ll footprint is 16.5"x12.25"

CF4 footprint is 17"x19"

sorry, never said footprint.  was refering to the general overall size of the speaker.  should have said "almost" half the size...

cf-4-  44x17x19.  108lb.

forte- 35x16x12.  67lb.   & 32" tall without the risers. 

so in general the forte is "almost" half the overall size/mass when sitting next to a cf-4.   

Edited by klipschfancf4

ok if you look at the speakers front on the Forte ll is 16.5" wide and the CF4 17" wide hmmmm. The CF4 is 44" tall and the Forte ll is 35.4" tall so the CF4 is 8.6" taller, that's a hand span. The bulk of the difference between the two is that the CF4 is 6.75" deeper and the build is much more substantial but visually as the numbers show they are in the same ball park. Height being almost free space in most situations it is the foot print which most folks are concerned with and width more often is a greater concern than depth. Best regards Moray James.

ok if you look at the speakers front on the Forte ll is 16.5" wide and the CF4 17" wide hmmmm. The CF4 is 44" tall and the Forte ll is 35.4" tall so the CF4 is 8.6" taller, that's a hand span. The bulk of the difference between the two is that the CF4 is 6.75" deeper and the build is much more substantial but visually as the numbers show they are in the same ball park. Height being almost free space in most situations it is the foot print which most folks are concerned with and width more often is a greater concern than depth. Best regards Moray James.

ok, im confused what your point is here.... the OP asked for suggestions on a "smaller" speaker than the cf-4.  hence the sugggestion for the forte or quartet as a MUCH smaller speaker overall with quality sound to meet his needs. 

yes the width is about the same... but the height & depth are much smaller on the fortes. 44" vs 35" is more than the average "hand span."  hmmm...  sorry but i disagree that they are in the same ballpark.  having owned both of these speakers at the same time, the cf-4 is a monsterous behemoth of a speaker & the forte is rather compact in comparison when sitting next to each other. especially when considering the forte's riser is almost 4" of the actual height. 

did you have a smaller speaker to suggest to the OP?? 

• Moderators

I have owned both the Forte II and the CF-4 and the Forte II have a much smaller "appearance" than the CF-4's.  Not sure if the OP is wanting something less wide, less deep, shorter, all of the above.  By smaller, are we thinking bookshelf?  If so, you can't beat the RB-75.  Absolutely amazing speaker speaker but granted it will not have anything close to the impact of the CF-4. 

Mike, can you give us some additional info on what you are wanting to achieve?

well the Heresy is an option but and I am not trying to be repetitive here but it is virtually the same footprint as a Forte. Perhaps if the OP could give a more detailed idea of what it is he or his SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) has to say as far as size shape go, floor stander stand mount or height restrictions etc. that would help to shape responses. Clearly we all have different ideas of what is twice as large and half as small and what we think does not count it is only what the OP wants that matters. RF5 pack a whack of quality into a very compact cabinet not too big not too small very same horn as the RF7 hard to go wrong with a pair of them with their ti diaphragms.

Klipsch RF5

Frequency Response: 34Hz-20kHz (+-)3dB

SENSITIVITY: 99dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter

POWER HANDLING: 150 w max continuous (600 w peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

TWEETER: K-119-KB 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 8" square 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix® Horn

WOOFER: Two K-1083-SB 8" (20.32cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 2500Hz

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via rear-firing port

INPUT CONNECTIONS: 2 sets of binding post speaker terminals

DIMENSIONS: 41.5" (106.2cm) x 9" (23cm) x 14.5" (37cm)

WEIGHT: 60 lbs. (27.2kg)

FINISHES: Cherry, Black wood veneer

Built From: 2001

BUILT UNTIL: 2006

post-44375-0-55960000-1409867370_thumb.j