I might have been in an alternate universe today.....

jimjimbo

I'm not sure what to think about what I experienced today, and whether the folks I interacted with were just "pulling my leg" as it were, or if they were sincere.....

Briefly, here's what happened.  Had to go out to get some electrical contact cleaner as I'm working on a couple of vintage receivers.  I had been ordering from Amazon, but really wanted to get some immediately and get it local.  Did some web research  and found a large, large, large, musical instrument and supply (national chain) store here that carried it.  (shall remain nameless).  Go in, find the stuff, and start checking out.  Saw a pair of used pro speakers for sale (Community), and just at that time, the manager of the store comes in.  He sees me looking at the used speaks, and asks if I'm interested, I say no, but do you ever see any Klipsch pro speakers?  He says.....wait for it....."Who?"   I'm thinking maybe I fumbled the name, and say it again....Klipsch.  He says.....wait for it....."never heard of them".   "How do you spell that?"   The first thing that goes through my feeble mind is....did I wake up today?  Did I drink too much last night?  and then....Are you freaking kidding me?  l mean, for real?  Well, guess what, yes, it was for real.  Couldn't believe it.  He even asked another guy working there if he had ever heard of Klipsch....nope.  "How do you spell that?"....  You manage and work in a large national musical instrument, pro gear store, and have never heard of one of the largest speaker manufacturers on the planet that has been in business since 1946, and, and, and, has their corporate headquarters in your own state???

Holy crap, what a day  I'm better now, I'm home with my Klipsch.  .

• Like 2

back in 1984, walked into this audio shop and asked the guy if he could recommend a speaker…he directed me to a pair of Klipsch Heresey I.

bought them and haven’t bought another brand of speaker since.  Happy with their product; but, if i had known about this forum and how i’d get roped into some of these discussions, i would have bought different speakers.

Keep crossing the einstein/rosen/pololsky bridge into alternative universes … maybe you’ll find one where klipschorns are free. 

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

That's funny and sad. Next time you go in there, ask who the Vice President is, or perhaps the Governor of your state is. Now that Jay Leno is retired, somebody has to do it.  :)

People are so preoccupied with cell phones and reliant on google searches and wiki, they can't store information. I believe it's true, and I have found that I have suffered in the same way. I truly rely on the internet to recall things for me rather than committing them to memory. Maybe its because I suck at it so badly that I don't trust my own memory. It could also mean I am in the early stages of Alzheimer's or heavy metal poisoning. I hope not...

• Moderators

Told this story before, ignore if you heard it.......

short version

I was standing in front of a hotel 500' from the Klipsch building watching a jube 402 horn for Trey as he went to go get the van and a man asked me what it was. He was impressed it was only part of a speaker and sounded really interested,  I told him that it was used for a get-together for fans of the company, so he asked me the name of the company. I told him and he said he had never heard of it, I asked where he was from and he said "Indy all my life". He had never heard of Klipsch and was really surprised they were in Indy and he had never heard of them.

Pretty sad really.

• Like 1

Told this story before, ignore if you heard it.......

short version

I was standing in front of a hotel 500' from the Klipsch building watching a jube 402 horn for Trey as he went to go get the van and a man asked me what it was. He was impressed it was only part of a speaker and sounded really interested,  I told him that it was used for a get-together for fans of the company, so he asked me the name of the company. I told him and he said he had never heard of it, I asked where he was from and he said "Indy all my life". He had never heard of Klipsch and was really surprised they were in Indy and he had never heard of them.

Pretty sad really.

it may be sad to us; but, it can’t come as a shock to Klipsch, can it?  maybe they’re content with their marketshare and don’t have bigger dreams?  I don’t know. You’d have to ask them and since they’re taking away posts from us, i suspect they don’t really care what we have to say.  (how was that for incorporating a current forum event into a totally unrelated thread?).

Edited by BigStewMan

sounds like you maybe went to guitar center. although they all(near every shop) have no idea what their missing. most shops like that know their guitar gear. back in pa(pro audio section) you might find a kid that says he knows klipsch. people just don't know. I like to hang out at Walmart and tell everybody the story. its a classic one you have there. even eating at the restauraunt right out front of klipsch hq the waitress had no idea what klipsch was before the tour there a while back. I frickin tell everybody...I really do. I truly feel like its the good deed of the day...or 10+ good deeds for the day. I make sure they write klipsch down even if I have to find the pen and paper. being out on the road at times im like a klipsch rainman....ya never hear ah yeah I have a pair(pun intended...klipsch makes up for it if ya don't) ha.

I preach klipsch loud and long til theres a group gathering to listen if possible. I heard Chad say the other day on here how hes trying to keep people from buying speakers that suck...well that's the best way to look at it I figure...Man I spent so much time, money and something else I forget finding the gobs of sweet klipsch that there is. I kind of hope I wake up someday with amnesia and still have the audio passion...so I can find klipsch all over again...klipsch is no doubt the best thing other than my kid to happen to me(kinda) audio wise no doubt. wearing a klipsch shirt helps. the piss your neighbors off shirt may be an old one to all of us but man it puts a lasting picture and thought in everybody you meets mind. reminds me I either need to wash my new one or get another or more...wish there were more klipsch shirts and designs but take what I can cheers

• Moderators
wearing a klipsch shirt helps.

The last two cruises we went on I wore a Klipsch shirt with a huge pie logo and PWK on the front and Klipsch music festival on the back in large letters just to see what would happen. I wore it the day we got on the ship,  passing thousands of people well over 2500, and that many leaving the port and had to wear it until late that nigh when we got our bags brought to the room, not one person said a thing, not that most people would know the name but If I had seen someone with a Klipsch shirt I would have said something. Ok I just like the shirt. :)