Any idea/range of value on a non-working Velodyne HSG-15 sub?

JiminSTL

As I mentioned, the HGS15 is a very solid subwoofer, very musical, acceptable HT performance in a mid sized room.

If a real sense of "in the middle of the action" is your goal in such a large room, maybe a larger ported sub is what you are aiming for.  Maybe a DIY or an SVS PB12 Plus or PB13 Ultra?  

My room is a tad over 6000 ft3.  It was not until I added my SVS SB13 Plus to my existing Revel B15 and Klipsch RSW-10d that I was finally "feeling" the action in movies.

Bill

So, Bill, now I wonder if I will really get/notice much benefit from a sub in the range we have been talking about.  My 6,000 ft3 consists of a great room w/ 15' vaulted ceiling, with an adjoining dining area (at one end), to the side of the TV and LCR speakers.  So it isn't one pure, unbroken area.  

Apparently, you needed multiple subs in somewhat similar circumstances to achieve what you wanted, and what I would like to produce, too.

I do have a Klipsch Synergy Sub-10 now (that I am expecting to replace).  But I really do not have an additional place for it, even assuming it would add anything.

In terms of WAF and practical room geography, the max size feasible is a 4.0 ft3 box.  Cost is a consideration, too.  

I am not opposed to DIY, with an 18" in the 4.0cu ft pre-fabs that are available.  Do you think I would be much closer to what I want to do with the 18" DIY?

I have read some comments that I might be able to do so for about $500 - $600.  Does that sound right to you?

Do you think I would be much closer to what I want to do with the 18" DIY?

Yes, but get advise elsewhere(not me) from some of our resident DIY gurus.

I still think a repaired HGS15 would be one fine sub for music and HT in a small/midsized(2500ft3) room. 

Edited by willland

Bill and Cecaa, thank you for your inputs.  Perhaps I really do need to go with the 18" DIY, given the size of my area, and what I want to accomplish with it (because 2 subs simply are a non-starter, here).  I like to seek good advice, and check it out, and I feel like I have done so here.  

You know, though, how easy it is to get swept up into a particular course of action (primarily, that bigger is better).  However, it likely is, in this situation.

Have conversed with Scrappy several times, and he has been very informative and patient with his explanations.

Edited by JiminSTL

I like the diy 18's cause they can give gobs of output, they really aren't that big, and they got all kinds of the rumble your looking for. However I would do a pair at a time. Not sure what one would do. Mine are wired in pairs otherwise I would try and report back. Best I could do is let you know how two works vs two

Hi, Scrappy,

This is not an effort that needs to be decided today, but, soon I hope.

Anyway, the "overhead" limiters are: 1) actual space to locate more than one sub, 2) WAF, 3)aesthetics of cramming equipment somewhere where, really, nothing belongs, 4) the likely NET change to me, a listener who likes and knows the wonders of my big Klipsch speakers, and can "buy" the argument for a large sub solution, BUT also a listener who is not a purist, audiophile, or looking for any kind of "bragging rights".  I just want to feel and hear the couch rumble when Apollo 13 takes off, or when a satisfying explosion delivers justice to a bunch of bad guys.  You know, that kind of thing.  It need not be sonically perfect in all of the 6,000+ cu3, just within 10' of the sub where any viewers might be sitting.

I really would love to hear the answer that yes, ONE DIY 18" sub would accomplish that job.  On the other hand, maybe that simply is not so . . . .

• Moderators

The HGS15 is a solid performer but you may find it lacking if you have a huge open room to fill.   The Velodyne subs have known issues with their amps.  My guess is you will either need to replace the amp (probably getting difficult to find) or have Velodyne or another repair center service the amp to get it back in working order.  I don't think it will be easy to replace the amp with a plate from PE because Velodyne Amps are Servo Controlled units.  I don't know the technicalities of how they work though.

I've owned the KLF-30's and they have tons of slam.  Adding a quality sub that can dig down deep would really enhance your movie experience.

b22401a6_Klipsch-KLF-30-Tall.jpeg
Over the years, I have owned several Velodyne subs (CT-10, F-1500, HGS15).  The Velodyne HGS15 sounded great in my 13' x 19' with 10' ceiling dedicated HT.  I "heard" the bass but what I really wanted was to "feel" the bass.  So I purchased a second HGS15.  Now we are talking! 

Dual-HGS15-Lg.jpg

Then down the road, I had the opportunity of purchasing an RSW-15.  I had always heard rave reviews of it and wanted to see how it compared to the dual Velodyne HGS15's.  Short version....the RSW-15 slammed as hard as BOTH Velodyne HGS15's so I ended up selling the Velodyne HGS15's.  Check out my RSW-15 vs Velodyne HGS15 thread for the long version.   :D 

Klipsch-RSW-15-vs-Velodyne-HGS15-Compari

I've been patiently waiting for just the right deal to come along for a second RSW-15 and a few days ago, I picked up an identical maple RSW-15.  :D

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-3.JPG

I definitely have no problems "feeling" the bass now.  :D

There are many DIY options that would cost you $300 - $500 (F20, TubaHT, TH Spud etc) and many say they absolutely slam.  They will take up much more space, you have to have some woodworking skills and tools but they offer an amazing bang for your buck.  The Danley DTS-10 or DTS-20 get a lot more pricey.