2x RW-12ii or 1 RSW-15 help me decide

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

While I was putting together my system earlier this summer I purchases an RW-12ii to compliment my Lascalas. It seemed a good match at low to mid levels but couldn't keep up with the Scalas at high volumes. I've since sold the Lascalas and moved to Khorns. With the Khorns he threw in an RSW-15 for free (!!!).  What a beast it is and it can keep up with the Khorns even though I don't worry about the highest volumes because things in the house start moving around so I don't go that loud with the sub.

As good as this sub is, I'm worried about its age. So I am considering selling it while it is still working and picking up a 2nd RW-12ii to fill the gap.  TBH, I haven't hooked up the other RW-12ii with the Khorns to see what one would be like but I am sure it would be insufficient - I'm just not sure if 2 would replace the RSW-15.

What are your guys' thoughts?  Would 2 RW-12ii's replace the RSW-15?  Would it be better - or worse?  Am I worried about nothing when it comes to the age of the RSW-15? Does it have plenty of life left?

What are your guys' thoughts?  Would 2 RW-12ii's replace the RSW-15? 

No.  The RSW-15 is in a completely different league than the RW-12??.  What is an RW-12ii.  I know of an RW-12(Reference III) and an RW-12d(Reference IV).

Would it be better - or worse?

Worse.

Am I worried about nothing when it comes to the age of the RSW-15? Does it have plenty of life left?

Yes you are.  If the amp fails, repair or replace it.  The drivers are virtually bullet proof.

Bill

Guest Steven1963

I guess I already knew this...I'm just afraid of the RSW 15 giving up and then trying to find a new amp for it.  But WTH I got it for free. The RW-12ii's wouldn't likely be up to the challenge and they don't go as deep anyway.  Ah well.  I do appreciate the feedback as you've basically confirmed what I already knew. ;)

• Moderators

Take a look at my Dual Velodyne HGS15 vs Klipsch RSW-15 thread.

Short version, I picked up an RSW-15 to see how it would compare with the Dual Velodyne (15" with 1250 watt amp) subs.  I was thoroughly impressed with the performance of the RSW-15, I sold one of the Velodyne subs.  During my A/B testing, I had turned off the Velodyne sub and forgot to turn it back on.  Once I realized the RSW-15 performed as well as Dual HGS15's, I sold the second Velodyne.

Klipsch-RSW-15-vs-Velodyne-HGS15-Compari

Today, I purchased a matching Maple RSW-15 and am even more pleased with the performance of the Dual RSW-15's.  I'm not concerned with the age.  Now if these were promedia amps, I would be really worried cause I've had more than one of them go bad on me.  If it were me, there is no way I would sell the RSW-15 for a newer RW-12d.  I've owned the RW-12 and it doesn't have anywhere near the output that the RSW-15 has.  If the amp fails, it would be worth having repaired or replaced.

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-3.JPG