Receiver reccomendation

tigerwoodKhorns

I have a good friend who has a pair of JBL L100's that he bought new when he was 18.  He has had the woofer refoamed and he refinished them and wants a receiver.  He has an old TT (don't knwo what kind), and CDplayer and I think he wants to be able to use an ipod, internet streaming etc.  He also wants to be able to go to surround in the future.

Don't know a price range.  Room size is probably not too big. 

Any ideas? 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he has a pair of L100s, so I might guess something around $200 to maybe $800 to give him options.

At $800 or less, he might be able to pick up a Denon AVR . . . For 6 bills, something like the Denon AVR X3000 at Amazon . . . has all the streaming options and bells and whistles with great sound. I like both Denon and Pioneer sound, for both 2 channel and surround duty.

With the X3000 he can run two channel now and surround later . . . with all of the streaming he wants . . . and he gets a 3 year warranty on the new unit.

Edited by Rhetor

• 2 weeks later...

The L100 speakers were home speaker derivatives of the JBL 4311 which is probably responsible for mixing more classic rock albums than any other speakers. The 4311 was the most popular studio monitor throughout the 1970's. They aren't "audiophile" quality speakers by many people's standards, but they certainly have a strong character.

Having said all of that, a modern AV receiver with a phono input takes you into mid to high end stuff, unless you add a preamp ($75 or so) or buy an Onkyo. They seem to be the only mfg that offers budget line receivers with the phono input. TheTXNR636 is an example at about $500 or so. If he is going for higher end than something like that, I would carry my speakers there and ask to hook them up to the receiver before I bought it. Just my opinion.   

Bryant