New to me rf5s

tdubl07

That's certainly not characteristic of the 5's...It's not even like the 3's. Hopefully the guys helping thus far will be able to figure it out. Not to assume things, but have you tested them against another amp? It just seems really strange that if you listened to them once they sounded fine, but sounded different when you got them home.

That's certainly not characteristic of the 5's...It's not even like the 3's. Hopefully the guys helping thus far will be able to figure it out. Not to assume things, but have you tested them against another amp? It just seems really strange that if you listened to them once they sounded fine, but sounded different when you got them home.

Like I said I didn't have a very good listen when I picked them up. Very low volume, I turned them up enough to make sure there was nothing blown. I had the little man with me so had to be quick. So I certainly wouldn't say I gave them a proper demo. 

Do other speakers sound fine on this exact same set up?

Yes absolutely. When I get home the troubleshooting/hopefulness will begin. If everything appears in order, I guess all I can do is relegate them to HT duty only. Music will be a different setup. Hate to do that though. Also both sets of drivers and tweeters/horns look great. No dings,dents or scratches, Can't say the same for the cabinets. They had some pretty good scuffs and what not on them. (Warning the following will make some people cringe) I painted them satin black as soon as I got home for the WAF factor :D . Cherry is a no go, especially since they had the scratches. Anyone know how the serial numbers work on them? I'll have to check when I get home but I believe the first two numbers are 02

• Moderators
I painted them satin black as soon as I got home for the WAF factor :D . Cherry is a no go, especially since they had the scratches.

Cringing now.  LOL.  I love the cherry finish of the Reference.  But they are your speakers to do as you wish.  If you decide to sell them, the satin finish may lower the value.  Not sure.

I know the heritage serial numbers had a formula....not sure about reference though.

If you decide to sell them, the satin finish may lower the value.  Not sure.

it will. scratched cherry > painted cherry, especially since the rf-5s were real wood veneer and not vinyl. i would have waiting until they were deemed keepers and fully satisfied before fully refinishing them in such a manner. oh well. 

Well Let me be the first one to say..........wooohooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! I found the problem.....and I feel like an idiot lol. Had the receiver on stereo, not analog bypass. What a difference. These things are as awesome as everyone says. Oh yeah!!!! Thanks for the help guys. I knew something had to be wrong. Glorious. Listening to a little Bruce Hornsby right now. So good. I'm thrilled

Well Let me be the first one to say..........wooohooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! I found the problem.....and I feel like an idiot lol. Had the receiver on stereo, not analog bypass. What a difference. These things are as awesome as everyone says. Oh yeah!!!! Thanks for the help guys. I knew something had to be wrong. Glorious. Listening to a little Bruce Hornsby right now. So good. I'm thrilled

lol  :emotion-21: