What is Hip? Why We Are.

thebes

Yes Tower of Power's 1973 hit, "What is Hip" has come full circle and now it is our time again.

That's correct.  Got dragged off to the mall last weekend. Cruisin along past some ultra trendy corporate version of hipsterism called Urban Outfitters. No camping gear, just cheezy crap household goods for the home of the ubber trendy cave dwellers.

Not even five feet inside the main entrance is probably fifty linear feet of, can you believe this, records!

In flip style racks!

Yes indeed. Wax, lps or vinyls as they are now known.

Not a bad selection. Stuff like the Clash, a mixed mixture of classic rock, and some fairly good indy music tunes.  Even a audiophile  pressing or two. Maybe as much as 100 or 200 titles.

By far the oldest person there, I sauntered over, gently nudging the slacker puppies out of my way, and proceeded to show them how to flip through a stack.

You could tell I'd made an impression, the background buzz got quiet for a moment, and when I finished up, they quickly turned away, to wrapped up in their "cool" to approach a seasoned vet of the wax wars.

Who knows, maybe I'll stop back there some day.  Take a coupe of them under my wing.  Eventually I'll ask them if they ever heard tell of something called horns.

• Like 3

Thebes, if you haven't seen the TOP 40th Anniversary DVD/Concert yet...it is a must!  Absolutely awesome.  Best I have ever seen them or heard.  The last few songs they have over 20 musicians on stage, and the sound is incredible.  Went to see them at a jazz club in Seattle not too long ago, had a much smaller band, but still fantastic.  The core team is amazing...one of my favorite bands of all time.

Oh, and by the way, my wife has been instructed to play "You're Still a Young Man" at my wake....everyone's invited!  Free Busch Lite!!

Edited by jimjimbo

By far the oldest person there, I sauntered over, gently nudging the slacker puppies out of my way, and proceeded to show them how to flip through a stack.   You could tell I'd made an impression, the background buzz got quiet for a moment, and when I finished up, they quickly turned away, to wrapped up in their "cool" to approach a seasoned vet of the wax wars.

So i spent a wonderful eight hours in traffic school.  Sitting next to this 24 year old girl all day.  at the end of the class, as we’re waiting for our paperwork to get signed, she asks me, “where do you get your style?”  Honestly, i don’t recall what my response was; but, she then said, “I like it and most old guys…ummm, i mean guys older than me…”  I stopped her and said that she’d already blown it.  

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

Yep, sure do, not so uncommon really.  I sometimes use it as an FM antenna, just stick my leg out the window, and put my finger in the socket on the back of the receiver....depends on the weather, but sometimes get pretty good reception... :emotion-19:

Edited by jimjimbo
  • Like 1

Who knows, maybe I'll stop back there some day.  Take a coupe of them under my wing.  Eventually I'll ask them if they ever heard tell of something called horns.

Next time, insist that they include some Beatles pressings in their inventory.  It would make things much more impressive......

Next time, insist that they include some Beatles pressings in their inventory. It would make things much more impressive...
Actually, you don't need horns for Beatles recordings - AR3a's will do:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/album?artist=Beatles

Next time, insist that they include some Beatles pressings in their inventory. It would make things much more impressive...
Actually, you don't need horns for Beatles recordings - AR3a's will do:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/album?artist=Beatles

That is correct... I was nudging Marty regarding his love of Beatles music....

(BTW) I do have a beautiful pair of restored AR3a's.  The Beatles do perform well when I use them... lol...

• Like 1

Of course they had Beatles.  I was tempted to take a box cutter to them, but I figured eventually the hipsters would see the light, after buying an album or two.

Now Chris, judging from your comment I suspect you are not in tune with the resurgence of vinyls, the only medium (digital,cd's or wax) that is actually growing in sales.  Besides, the horn section in that Andy Williams song was pretty tight.

Hey Jim that dvd sounds pretty cool.  Just got outbid on a sealed original Tower of Power on the Bay.  It's not vinyls, but maybe I'll console myself with the dvd.

Now Chris, judging from your comment I suspect you are not in tune with the resurgence of vinyls, the only medium (digital, cd's or wax) that is actually growing in sales.

Watch the first 8 minutes of this 14-minute video on dynamic range meter differences between digital and vinyl versions, and then let's start that conversation.

Edited by Chris A

Yes Tower of Power's 1973 hit, "What is Hip" has come full circle and now it is our time again.

That's correct.  Got dragged off to the mall last weekend. Cruisin along past some ultra trendy corporate version of hipsterism called Urban Outfitters. No camping gear, just cheezy crap household goods for the home of the ubber trendy cave dwellers.

Not even five feet inside the main entrance is probably fifty linear feet of, can you believe this, records!

In flip style racks!

Yes indeed. Wax, lps or vinyls as they are now known.

Not a bad selection. Stuff like the Clash, a mixed mixture of classic rock, and some fairly good indy music tunes.  Even a audiophile  pressing or two. Maybe as much as 100 or 200 titles.

By far the oldest person there, I sauntered over, gently nudging the slacker puppies out of my way, and proceeded to show them how to flip through a stack.

You could tell I'd made an impression, the background buzz got quiet for a moment, and when I finished up, they quickly turned away, to wrapped up in their "cool" to approach a seasoned vet of the wax wars.

Um, do you have a white van with "free candy" painted on the side of it? :mellow:

Now Chris, judging from your comment I suspect you are not in tune with the resurgence of vinyls, the only medium (digital, cd's or wax) that is actually growing in sales.

Watch the first 8 minutes of this 14-minute video on dynamic range meter differences between digital and vinyl versions, and then let's start that conversation.

Very interesting video clip. But if he is the mastering engineer why is digital master flie clipped?

To answer your question, here is another video describing the current "state of the art" in audio mastering (starting at minute 8):

I think that the bigger question is why the waveform envelope changed when the digital track was sent to the vinyl record, then ripped back to digital -- by 4 dB (crest factor)...and why it should sound any different--which it does, even from the poorer quality AAC audio file played back in YouTube.  That's the really interesting question.  And the answer to that question should turn everyone's head that believes that vinyl "sounds better", IMHO.  What these folks are judging as "better" is actually distortion, of several types, that wasn't in the original digital audio file.

I don't know about you, but what I see in the first video link, above, makes me not want to listen to vinyl records any more, knowing what I'm listening to is that affected by the transfer into and back out of that medium.

Chris

Edited by Chris A