Klipschorn serial number questions......

bhenry

I bought a pair of Klipschorn's from a guy off Audiogon and here are the serial numbers I have:

HF: KHAK5BK09510001 match with LF KHAK5BK09510001 and those match.

The other one is:

HF: KHAK5BK09480004 match with LF KHAK5BK09480004

LF: KHAK5BK09480003 match with HF KHAK5BK09480003

What gives? I specifically asked about consecutive serial numbers and these don't seem to be that and on top of that, the other one doesn't even match each other! I have kind of a red a$$ about this. Am I wrong and making a big deal about nothing? And then my next question is does Klipsch ship them out like that or are they very careful to make sure the serial numbers are consecutive and that the HF and LF cabinets have matching numbers? Thanks for the help.

Right? Each cabinet (High Frequency and Low Frequency) should have the same serial number because they should pair up, correct?

I was also told they were from 2012. They look absolutely brand new. I'm both confused and kind of pi$$ed about this. More at myself for taking his word and not looking for myself.

Those are consecutive what's the problem ? LF 0003 HF 0003 then LF 0004 HF 0004      Looks like they match up but you got 3 serial numbers listed where did you get the third number? Guess i'm lost from what you posted. Maybe pics would help.  Rick

The other one is:

This is from the HF cabinet (the top section): KHAK5BK09480004 match with LF KHAK5BK09480004

This is from the LF cabinet (the bottom section): KHAK5BK09480003 match with HF KHAK5BK09480003

In other words, the top half is the ......0004 serial number and the bottom is the .......0003 serial number so they don't match.

I guess I don't really care much, I'm kind of picky and just wanted consecutive and matching serial numbers. No big deal. They must have been sitting around for a long time if they're 90's vintage because they are almost perfect.

Thanks for the help.

I am a little confused. But if you switch the top hats out would each serial number match then? Sometimes in taking them apart for a move, the top hats can get switched when reassembling them. I always remove the tophats (HF sections when moving my Khorns.

The other one is:

This is from the HF cabinet (the top section): KHAK5BK09480004 match with LF KHAK5BK09480004

This is from the LF cabinet (the bottom section): KHAK5BK09480003 match with HF KHAK5BK09480003

In other words, the top half is the ......0004 serial number and the bottom is the .......0003 serial number so they don't match.

I guess I don't really care much, I'm kind of picky and just wanted consecutive and matching serial numbers. No big deal. They must have been sitting around for a long time if they're 90's vintage because they are almost perfect.

Thanks for the help.

This is what I believe is the correct interpretation of your serial number for the HF section you have. Again call Klipsch to remove any doubt you might have about them. 

Example:    HF: KHAK5BK09480004

HF =  High Frequency Section 

KH =  Klipschorn

AK5 = AK5 crossover network

BK =  Black  ?  I guessing here

09 = 2009 year of manufacture

48 = 48 work week of the manufacture year

0004 = individual unit number

Yes your LF KHAK5BK09480003 and HF KHAK5BK09480004 are mismatched but only by one # which means they were made at practically the same time.

Now this one: HF: KHAK5BK09510001 match with LF KHAK5BK09510001 appears to have been made in the 51 week of 2009 which is 2 weeks later than the 48th week one.

If I'm interpreting this correctly and If these are Black then speaking for myself I probably wouldn't be concerned.

miketn

Edited by mikebse2a3

mikebse2a3 is correct. I basically have three different serial numbers.

So am i correct to assume that this not a big deal? Is this somewhat common? Does this affect the value of them?

Thanks so much for the information.

I will post pictures of my basement before the flood and after the flood once it's finished.

OK......here's the deal: They come with two pieces, the bottom (Low frequency cabinet) and the top (High frequency cabinet) so they each have a serial number on them and there are FOUR peices with THREE different serial numbers. One set (speaker) is a match (the serial numbers are the same for the top and the bottom) and the other set (speaker) has non-matching serial numbers.

Yes, they are all black and sound fantastic. There truly isn't a mark on them, they look like they just came out of the box. I was told they were 2012 Klipschorns but that does not seem to be the case which is why I'm starting to think that they were in storage for quite some time before being sold.

My guests have just arrived in a 2015 Mustang so I have to go check that out. I'll finish later.

Yea we know they come in 2 pieces but in first post you had 6 serial numbers. But it does not matter if they are black cause they only matter in ones where the grain and finish shows. So that one got damaged so they painted it black and sent it to the black pile. The numbers do not mater at all if they are black. Rick

I called Klipsch and was able to get some info on these. They are 2009 model year and built in weeks 48 and 51. I didn't think they were 90's vintage because they don't have the "collar" between the tops and the bottoms (changed in 2005?) and they have the newer (internal) crossovers, which I'm not sure when they changed that.

Either way, I like them and I'm glad I have them.

The collar was just the higher priced model. Just cosmetic nothing different. The collar has been option for long time. Up till about the 90s you could order almost any type of wood veneer you wanted to pay for. But damaged ones get painted black cause they want perfect ones going out the door. Rick