Any Linux users out there

The Dude

Duder

I agree, however looking on there forums it appears they have had some sort of linux access for at least 1 year,  what music player do you use (assuming you use 1)

I am using VLC, it was supposedly to be one of the best with Linux.  I haven't got into to many details with it, other than building play list and listening to music.  Plus I can control it with my phone.  But you are suppose to be able to use it for videos and what not.

For music, I'm using Clementine on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon and like it so far but I am not very experienced with it yet.  I built a new HTPC while off for end of year shut down a month or so ago and wanted to try Linux. 

Clementine reviews

http://www.tuxarena.com/2014/04/review-clementine-1-2-3-full-featured-music-player-ubuntu-installation/

https://www.clementine-player.org/

Edited by mwells
  • Like 1

I am going to have to give clementine a chance as I like how I can stream spotify from it.

I did take a different direction, than what I plan on with the dual boot.  My father in law gave me his old computer, which had vista and kept crashing.  So I disassembled the computer, cleaned everything as it was covered in smoke from a chain smoker.  Yes I used some un orthodox cleaning techniques but the computer was free.  Turns out it still works and doesn't smell like smoke.  I down loaded Ubuntu server, and realized I might be over my head with setting it up.  I will have to give it a good go tonight, as I all I wanted to do was connect a external usb hard drive as a server to access from all of my computers.  If I don't like how it works I can all ways go back and install Linux Mint 17 and configure that for a home server.    Good thing is none of this is coasting anything and has been a good learning experience.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Well, I wish I'd found this thread sooner!  I first started with Linux in 1999 with Mandrake using a hot swappable drive bay.  W98 on the other HD.  Mandrake was stable, but not ready. 

I bought an early netbook about 2008 with an odd Linux on it and changed it to Lubuntu (light/LXDE Ubuntu).  When it died, I bought  10" Toshiba, wiped off W7 and installed Lubuntu.  It is still running happily on Lubuntu (now on 14.04 LTS), but I had a friend's savant son reinstall W7 as a dual boot so I could update my Garmins and run my tax program.  This after my old Dell running XP, well after XP went away, could not run Linux because of the ATI Radeon video system and could not run W7 because of other hardware.  Having had such great service from (L)Ubuntu, I bought a Dell XPS13 Developer's Edition with Ubuntu 14.04 from the factory.  It is now my primary and I use it to write this.  LibreOffice is excellent, looking much like office 2005(?), before the ribbons and Stupid Ball.  It is easier to find things than the MS suite and is pretty well compatible. 

I am a passionate fan of Linux and particularly Ubuntu because it's installation routine is so easy and ID10T proof.  It took lots of time to get used to Ubuntu Unity, the application bar along the left side, but I have. 

BTW, the xps13 has 8GB of RAM, I finally got up to 87% memory usage by opening 2 windows of Firefox with 21 tabs open, Thunderbird running and playing MP3s!  LOL!  I think it was running 4% of the swapfile.  Normal is 25 - 30% memory usage.  Linux does so much with so little!  I can't remember a windows OS running less than ~80% memory, normally. 

I upgraded my lady-friend's laptop to W10.  I will NEVER have that.  Every year I call H&R Block to request a port of their software to Linux.  They released a version, maybe 10 years ago.  If they re-do it, I will not use Windows again. 

John, We use Mint 18.1 at the Orange Grove Center, about 70% linux, the rest Windows 7/10. All the linux boxes run Libre Office, and most of the staff don't even know it isn't Windows.  For our remote sites/group homws, we are set up with openvpn. One of our departments insisted on using Windows, but we started moviving them to ProxMox, setting up virtual Win10 installs. On all their laptops they connect with remote desktop to their Windows PCs. Works pretty slick! Windows 10 started out pretty good, but they've added lots og gaming stuff that is hard/impossible to uninstall or kill off. Bad from a corporate standpoint.

You would probably like Mint. I sent a bunch of PCs with Mint xfce tot he Philippines for a friends daughter. They have a small internet cafe where they live.Very stable systems running on 8 yr old Dell optiplex systems.

Bruce

Hi Bruce!

Since Mint is based on Debian and Ubuntu, what differences would I notice?  While I found Unity strange, it actually does all I want.  It must be a variation on Apples.   I suppose I could figure out how to change the front end to KDE or xfce and make it more windows like. 

I think the Mint developers have done a more thorough job to include what more people need/want, a bit cleaner interface. Still really good performance. Their ISOs make live CDs, so you can boot from the cd and play around with it.

We still have some Ubuntu machines but I don't like the way they work quite as much. Maybe I've just quickly grown accustomed to all three of the Mint versions (cinnamon, mate, xfce... cinnamon the fanciest, and most sluggish).

• 4 weeks later...