Too important not to post!

tube fanatic

We have been purchasing farm raised non genetically modified foods and locally raised non juiced up meat for about two years. This is nearly impossible to do 100% of the time  but we are at about 50%. The price is a little higher but the quality has been high and the meat has been incredible. I would say better. I went this route because my gf wanted to but also after trying locally raised meats. I do not trust the grocery stores "organic". It is just an excuse to jack the price. We go to the local markets and local grown stores.

• Like 1

BANANAS WERE MODIFIED 100 YRS AGO LONG BEFORE GMO...ALL GROWN IN HONDURUS,,,,TOMATOS WITH TOUGHER SKINS,,LONG BEFORE GMOs....YOUR ALL PISSING IN THE WIND ABOUT GMOs BEING POISON...I LIVE WITH IT AND EAT IT,,,NO PROBLEMS,,,

When grocery stores put a bunch of bananas out in the produce section with a poster board behind them which says, "Organic," how do we know they are really organic?  How does the grocer even know?  Is this whole "organic" thing on the honor system?

In order to use the term "organic" in our country USDA organic standards must be met:

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentidonly=true&contentid=organic-agriculture.html

When grocery stores put a bunch of bananas out in the produce section with a poster board behind them which says, "Organic," how do we know they are really organic?  How does the grocer even know?  Is this whole "organic" thing on the honor system?

In order to use the term "organic" in our country USDA organic standards must be met:

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentidonly=true&contentid=organic-agriculture.html

The USDA is good, but not that good.  Given the size of the food supply, I seriously question their ability to adequately police the trade in order to insure, say, 95% compliance.  

This policing problem is not unique to us.  China deals with counterfeiters all the time.  Heck, in fact we do, too.  I can go over to Harwin (a road in Houston) and find all the counterfeits of famous labels I want... right there on the shelf, on open public display.

I do not believe that all is fine just because the government has a program.

• Like 1

30 years ago there were some saying that fast food chains and junk food were going to wreak havoc on everyone.  Now here we are.  If you do not see it, go travel to a foregin country and then come back here. 

Even easier, look at the original Augustus Gloop (the fat kid from Willy Wonka) vs the new one.  The original one looks like a "normal" kid and they had to update him for our new normal. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Augustus+Gloop&client=firefox-a&hs=Kik&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=rcs&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=lAM8VKf1I6eBiwLGjoCYAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ

Point is that it will take a while for the crap in GMOs to show their results, and we should have a choice to at least know if it is in our food. 

Edited by tigerwoodKhorns
  • Like 1

wreak havoc

I'm not so sure I see havoc.  I see thin people, fat people, medium people, sick people, healthy people, and so on.  Yep.  The population has fattened-up; I'll grant you that for sure.  But compare that to our standard of living and the types of work we do these days.  

There are too many variables.  

I do agree with you as regards truth in labeling. 

wreak havoc

I'm not so sure I see havoc.  I see thin people, fat people, medium people, sick people, healthy people, and so on.  Yep.  The population has fattened-up; I'll grant you that for sure.  But compare that to our standard of living and the types of work we do these days.  

Jeff, they had to rename "Adult onset diabetes" to "Type 2" Diabetes because 11 year old kids are getting this completely preventable disease that use to take 35 years or more of abuse to show up. It now shows up in 10 years with the crap that people eat.

Seriously, take a closer look around.  Not a good situation. 

wreak havoc

Jeff, they had to rename "Adult onset diabetes" to "Type 2" Diabetes because 11 year old kids are getting this completely preventable disease that use to take 35 years or more of abuse to show up. It now shows up in 10 years with the crap that people eat.

Seriously, take a closer look around.  Not a good situation. 

Are you suggesting that the GMO stuff targets fat people and causes them harm?  I am thinking the reverse.  Fatter people are less healthy.