Too important not to post!

tube fanatic

It is truly unfortunate that nothing can be done to stop the poisoning of our food supply:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/10/12/herbicide-insecticide-gmo-crops.aspx?e_cid=20141012Z1_SNL_art_2&utm_source=snl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art2&utm_campaign=20141012Z1&et_cid=DM57906&et_rid=690605300

I recently had a conversation with a gastroenterologist whom I know and he reports a significant increase in patients who have, in recent years, developed huge food intolerances.  In speaking to colleagues in countries where genetically modified crops are banned, it is not happening there.  Many of these countries also ban importation of beef from the USA.  His conclusions correlate well with Mercola's assertions.

Maynard

Am I the only one who likes giant green grapes, with no seeds and great taste?  And do you know what turkey tasted like in the 1960's?  Dry, with little breast meat.  Strawberries 50 years ago were marble sized with a sour taste.

I like genetically enhanced foods!  B)

Those strawberries are enhanced with sugars while growing so that when they are green or white they taste sweet. So much for genetics. I will only eat the local home grown strawberries which are the normal size.

JJK

I didn't know that.

I live in West Virginia, but in nearby Southeast Ohio we have a lot of Amish.  They are as "old school" as you can get.  They practice farming now, exactly as they did 100 years ago, same soil, same fruits and vegetables, no fertilizer except the "natural" kind, if you know what I mean.   :pwk_bs:  (this will be the most appropriate use of the "BS" emoticon as we are likely to see on this board  :rolleyes: )

To make cash, the Amish sell their produce by the side of the road, almost always by children, two at a time, ages usually around 10-12, always incredibly well behaved and mature for their ages.  (about this age, this is not my pic)

article-2449025-1895B56F00000578-9_634x4

I bought a quart of some Amish strawberries one time, and was surprised to see how small they were, maybe the size of a nickle.  And tasting...yuch, they were sour as they could be!  It's no wonder we used to have to put sugar on strawberries!

The Amish produce is the ULTIMATE in "natural."  It's nothing I would ever buy again.

Aside:  My anecdotal story doesn't prove anything, I know that.  It's just that where I am from, we are exposed to more "natural" products because of our Amish population.  That colors my opinions due to my first-hand experience, one that people from other areas of the country might not get to see.

Edited by wvu80

The way food is priced anymore it is very hard to eat healthy from the store, organic costs nearly double by volume as standard versions................It is my hope to shortly have enough space to start gardening and raise my own foods

also want to raise chickens for eggs and meat, thinking about having a pig and cow as well

I sat down and figured up what we spend on a family of 4 for basic foods no steak, lobster, shrimp, salmon etc...  we are over the 7000 mark on groceries this does not include anything like going out which is rare maybe once every other month

I have started getting and trying new recipes and more often than not everyone is happier with what we make here

Once we get settled I am looking forward to healthier lifestyle,  I am not a fan of genetic altered foods because I dont trust big business or the government to do what is right when $$$$$$$$$ is involved

I like genetically enhanced foods!  B)

I guess the real question is whether you are opposed to having genetically modified foods labeled as such.  If you want to eat it, that's fine, but why should those who oppose it be kept in the dark?  One also needs to ask why Monsanto readily embraces labeling in some countries, while spending millions to prevent that from happening here, and why they are spending millions to get those Washington politicians to pass a bill which would prevent individual states from requiring labeling.  Right off that should make everyone very suspicious!  They could just as easily start a huge "buy GMO because it's far superior" campaign and let people make a personal choice.  Regarding the Amish farmers in your area, you are fortunate that they have continued using natural farming methods.  The Amish vendors in this region (most from Lancaster County, PA) sell all kinds of foods which are not organic.  One man, who sells beef, says that he "can't guarantee" that the cows are grass fed/free range but "they should be."  I do not buy his products!

Maynard  

The Amish I have met in my area are more in tuned and able to run a business than you might think.  Just had a young business owner put a roof on my house and do lots of trim work and add James Hardie siding.    I would agree I don't see an Amish based company doing consulting or programming, but the very few I have met are very family oriented and very hard workers.  I would agree that not being able to take your education beyond the typical 8th or 12th grade is very limiting and not something I would go for.    Different strokes for different folks

• Like 1

I interact with many Amish nearly every week. These are old school Amish no slow moving triangles on their buggies.

They have aranged their affairs to owe very little in taxes. Farm taxes are low, they barter amoung themselves so no money changes hands, they dont buy much gasoline so no road taxes. No w-2s so very little or no income tax. Trust me the Amish have no problems making ends meet.

It is very hard to get a dollar out of their pocket, a very shrewd community.

Edited by UH1dg337

And by the way the Amish buy garden seed from the same places as you and I. They grow Blue Lake beans,Strike beans, Tenderette, Provider, and Half Runners to name a few. The same with corn Peaches and Cream, Bodatious, Increadable, Silver Queen. All hi-bread variaties.

It is sad though they dont illuminate their buggies better. Last week I almost had a collision with one... 6:00 am, dense fog.

Back to the topic, farmers that I have spoke to do not like GMOs because the seed is expensive and altered to be sterile (the genertic altering that is being touted to save all of the food shortage problems is actually being used to make the crops not produce usable seeds - gee I wonder why).

The farmers have stated that you need to keep applying the chemicals that kill everything but the crop, in increasing amounts to maintain its effectivenesss.  Think about this, the chemicals that kill everything are being applied in increasing amounts to maintain their effetiveness, not a good scenario for something that you are going to eat. 

• Like 1

The Amish I have met in my area are more in tuned and able to run a business than you might think.  Just had a young business owner put a roof on my house and do lots of trim work and add James Hardie siding.    I would agree I don't see an Amish based company doing consulting or programming, but the very few I have met are very family oriented and very hard workers.  I would agree that not being able to take your education beyond the typical 8th or 12th grade is very limiting and not something I would go for.    Different strokes for different folks

The Amish have reached Pluto? That my friend is a long buggy ride.

Back to the topic, farmers that I have spoke to do not like GMOs because the seed is expensive and altered to be sterile (the genertic altering that is being touted to save all of the food shortage problems is actually being used to make the crops not produce usable seeds - gee I wonder why).

The farmers have stated that you need to keep applying the chemicals that kill everything but the crop, in increasing amounts to maintain its effectivenesss.  Think about this, the chemicals that kill everything are being applied in increasing amounts to maintain their effetiveness, not a good scenario for something that you are going to eat. 

Exactly!  If you look at the stats on Roundup use in this country, it has risen enormously over the years.  And where is all that poison going?  Obviously into our digestive systems (and air, waterways, etc.).  There are so many studies which have clearly demonstrated that glyphosate decimates the bacterial flora of our intestines (as well as the entire microbiome of the soil which is exposed to it), any sane person would conclude that it should be banned totally and immediately.  Monsanto's claim that super-weeds can't occur because of its use have clearly been shown to be wrong- simply look at fields in which the stuff is used.  And now, we're going to start ingesting 2 key ingredients of Agent Orange in addition to that!  Having known some Viet Nam vets who contracted horrific cancers from that stuff, I certainly don't want to be eating it!!!  And what about exposure to the general population when crops are dusted with that stuff?  That's exactly how the Viet Nam troops were exposed.  What we have here is clearly a case of corporate (and political) greed being given precedence over life.  It's a very sad commentary on how flawed we humans are, and have always been.  Until we have people in political office who can't be purchased (this is fact, not speculation, as we all know that it happens every minute of every day), it will never change.

Maynard

Edited by tube fanatic