Winston Ma's listening room

tube fanatic

I plan to share but I still have a couple of things to do this week matching FR and phase between loudspeakers, retesting, and checking the results (which by the way takes a little time I've found).

My MO hasn't changed: I'm still trying to share things that I've learned from the school of hard knocks so that others don't have to.  But it seems that the further that I go down this road, the more that I find that "common knowledge" isn't so common, and many rules-of-thumb that I've seen just seem to fall apart once I begin to examine more closely.

I'll warn you though: most of the things that I've found aren't related to brands or branding (i.e., "brand X" vs. "brand y"), "matching components", or plug-and-play on anything having to do with loudspeakers and room acoustics.  Some of the items cost real money to fix--but in places that most people I find aren't paying attention to.  Others take almost no money at all.  I find that many folks are paying money for things that just don't make any real difference.  And "looks before performance" definitely has never borne out.  It's never been about physical beauty or "coolness" or even "glow in the dark", I've found.

It's the story of "The Chronicles of Audiophilia", I afraid.

I gotta say I am relatively new here, so others may already be privy to this.

But why don't you list your system, and post some pics of your setup? I can get a better frame of reference for what someone posts when I have more insight. It puts things in perspective, you could say.

Shakey

It is and has been for a very long time: it's called a profile.  Just click on my username or on the Border Collie (Tommy) on any of my posts, then scroll down.  It's also accessible from the "Members" listings.

That's in fact where you're encouraged to list your setup descriptions, IIRC. ;)

Chris