Winston Ma's listening room

tube fanatic

Since we have all had so much fun with Cardas' room, I'm posting this as an interesting contrast!  I don't note any cable trestles, so I guess this system can't possibly sound good!!! :D   Check out those amps though- if I had the financial means that's the kind of stuff I'd start designing and building myself.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom.htm

Maynard

Those amps by Paul Weitzel are built by Tube Research Labs. They make some killer stuff. I had a TRL modified Sony DVD player a few years ago, and it killed some much more expensive disc spinners for two channel music (it's only function as the video was intentionally disabled).

Shakey

• Like 1

Since we have all had so much fun with Cardas' room, I'm posting this as an interesting contrast!  I don't note any cable trestles, so I guess this system can't possibly sound good!!! :D   Check out those amps though- if I had the financial means that's the kind of stuff I'd start designing and building myself.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom.htm

Maynard

I have always said that 90% of the sound "character" heard is the ROOM, since at 10 feet away, 90% of the sound IS the reverberant field. the room has, historically been the most ignored component, especially by those who use direct radiators. Obviously this guy is not ignoring anything. Any good speaker would sound good in that room. I would vote for 3 way Jubilees with active networks and tapped horn subs, which would stomp those crappy little 3-way direct radiators. This is why I'm an Audyssey XT/32 fan, it fixes a lot of stuff without severe architectural modification.

It cracks me up how much money people will spend on amplifier POWER for $20,000, 88 db/watt speakers vs. 108 db/watt horns that would do the job with 25 db LESS modulation distortion, since they would need only 8 watts instead of 800. Let's not even mention dynamics and TRANSIENT response, which is one of the main factors for realism and why we love horns. These people are simply putting money in the wrong place. So for those who go for "best bang for the buck," this ain't it!

I don't care if the small woofers and midranges are made of aluminum, ceramic, paper, banana peels, plastic, or hemp, they are still inefficient, high distortion, "air pushers." Same goes for "diamond tweeters." PUHLEASE!

It's been proven that for low distortion "air pushers" you need large drivers,  or LOTS of little ones (think Maggies and Martin Logans). Air "squeezers" like horns, waveguides, and Heil Air Motion Transformers, do a better job AND give you controlled, uniform polar response above 300 Hz. whre it counts. This is a culmination of what we have learned since the 60's. Yet people still buy expensive 3 and 4-way direct radiators. 

My studio is 200 feet from the SALK speaker factory, where they hand build the most beautiful speakers I've ever seen and sell them strictly on line. As long as there are "audiophile" shows for the rich followers of Audio Prose in "High End" magazines, DR speakers will prevail. ALL of the are better than BOSE, however.

To each their own.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

It cracks me up how much money people will spend on amplifier POWER for 88 db/watt speakers vs. 108 db/watt horns that would do the job with 25 db LESS modulation distortion, since they would need only 8 watts instead of 800. They are simply putting money in the wrong place. So for those who go for "best bang for the buck," this ain't it!

That's easily explained.

Not everyone wants 108db horns, no matter how you or I or anyone else feels about their virtues. That's why there are direct radiators, planar magnetics, electrostatics, etc. If everyone listened to the same speakers, imagine how boring that would be.

So no, Winston Ma's setup would not be considered "bang for the buck" on any level. But I bet it sounds damn good.......

Shakey

• Like 1

Aint no fun unless you can pizz off the neighbors!

After two years of buyin, swapping, road trips, and finely tuning, i dont give a Rats Azz what anyone system ends up looking like.

Whatever quipts your gizzard i guess, if i have his kind of funding, yep mine would look a tad different too.

But the sound would be dam near the same (in our ears) and besides im meeting neighbors from the next block over.

Aint no fun unless you can pizz off the neighbors!

After two years of buyin, swapping, road trips, and finely tuning, i dont give a Rats Azz what anyone system ends up looking like.

Whatever quipts your gizzard i guess, if i have his kind of funding, yep mine would look a tad different too.

But the sound would be dam near the same (in our ears) and besides im meeting neighbors from the next block over.

I don't see hair standing big dynamics coming from those speakers. They may sound fantastic at tea party levels, but impact, shear realism....might as well hook up the old set of Advents from the 80's.

• Like 1

I don't see hair standing big dynamics coming from those speakers. They may sound fantastic at tea party levels, but impact, shear realism....might as well hook up the old set of Advents from the 80's.

You have some listening experience with Avalon Eidolons?

You're right, I don't need to.  But do tell, what's so magical about them?  They are just another flavor of every other overpriced "uber clone" out there.   Better yet, think of what you could actually build for $20K+  

Avalon Eidolon Vision - MSRP 23,950/pair
Tweeter – Accuton 1” C12 Ceramic Dome – approximately $190
Midrange – Accuton 3.5” C90 Ceramic – approximately $280
Woofer – Eton 11” Hexacone – approximately $275
Total cost of drivers per pair = $1490

In this hobby, I have learned not to dismiss anything unless I can hear it for myself. This is not to say that inexpensive speakers can't or don't sound good. But sometimes there's a valid reason why people spend more. And if I don't agree with it or can't afford it, it doesn't change a thing.......

Shakey

Edited by Shakeydeal

One doesn't need to have direct experience w/ a speaker to know that direct radiators have much lower dynamic limits than horns.  It's physics, not conjecture.

Indeed, and I don't disagree. But to say they are only good for "tea party levels" and compare them to old Advents is just ridiculous.

Shakey

Edited by Shakeydeal
  • Like 1

I don't have any background at all with Avalons or TRL amps. I would, however, love to hear the speakers and amps of my choice in that room. I'd bet that more thought and $ per square foot went into its design than goes into most symphony halls. Impressive from that perspective.

It is a nice looking room, a lot neater than mine. I guess I am too much of a horn guy. The first thing I saw was those massive amps in the corners where the speakers belong. Those things must be great fun picking up off the floor. Forklift maybe?

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

... But do tell, what's so magical about them?....

Make me a pair and I'll give them a listen. Oh, rosewood would be nice so it matches my Heresys.

Edited by russ69

... But do tell, what's so magical about them?....

Make me a pair and I'll give them a listen. Oh, rosewood would be nice so it matches my Heresys.

They're on their way. Just close your eyes and you will never hear the difference :)

116_1687.jpg