Finish this analogy...

mattSER

Ok how about this for Mom; get into the computer audio software and pick a room mode. I think the presets will be bathroom auditorium cave, etc. I've never been happy with PC presets but maybe there is something mom might like. There might even be an EQ you can fiddle with.

This actually gives me an idea. I have an old graphic eq sitting in storage. I might try that out. I'm sure it would work better than that crappy realtek software eq.

I agree with you, using the graphic EQ hardware might tame those harsh sounds out, and I agree the Realtek software is functional but just doesn't really dial in real well.  It adds in reverb and other time delay tricks most of us wouldn't like, but it's not about us, it's about finding a sound that mom finds pleasing.

DISCLAIMER:  Some of you regular Klipsch Forumites might want to go to the next post NOW, as you might find the rest of this post offensive and disturbing.  You've been warned!!!

+++

If you do need to change speakers, your mom might like Bose 301's.  They may be Bose's best speakers (8" woofer).  I have a pair of 301 II's I have used as computer speakers with a mini-amp.  They sound really great for computer speakers and you can play them loud. 

(sigh) No, my Forum Friends, the Bose are not KLIPSCH loud, but loud enough for mom.   

Don't ban me.   :rolleyes:

Ok how about this for Mom; get into the computer audio software and pick a room mode. I think the presets will be bathroom auditorium cave, etc. I've never been happy with PC presets but maybe there is something mom might like. There might even be an EQ you can fiddle with.

This actually gives me an idea. I have an old graphic eq sitting in storage. I might try that out. I'm sure it would work better than that crappy realtek software eq.

I agree with you, using the graphic EQ hardware might tame those harsh sounds out, and I agree the Realtek software is functional but just doesn't really dial in real well. It adds in reverb and other time delay tricks most of us wouldn't like, but it's not about us, it's about finding a sound that mom finds pleasing.

DISCLAIMER: Some of you regular Klipsch Forumites might want to go to the next post NOW, as you might find the rest of this post offensive and disturbing. You've been warned!!!

+++

If you do need to change speakers, your mom might like Bose 301's. They may be Bose's best speakers (8" woofer). I have a pair of 301 II's I have used as computer speakers with a mini-amp. They sound really great for computer speakers and you can play them loud.

(sigh) No, my Forum Friends, the Bose are not KLIPSCH loud, but loud enough for mom.

Don't ban me. :rolleyes:

Aaarrrgghhh!!! I didn't want to admit that I had already been thinking about this...

.......since you threw it out there, what do you think about the 901? I've always thought she may like Bose but could never bring myself to set up an audition.

There are always several pairs of 901s around me for less than $300

Hey Bill,

Life is blessed down here in the south end! I hope you and your family are well.

I would expect your Yamaha and Klipsch to sing together as they are high on the food chain! Before Sound Advice went under I remember being so excited to audition the KLF 20s after a great review in Stereo Review. I took in  a few discs including some SRV and the salesman kept raising the volume until I had to reach over and shut it down. They pushed the Yamaha and all of it's different "hall" soundfields. I far much prefered the Sony ES and opted in that direction. I still perfer the KLF 10s over their bigger brothers and that is what I listen to today.

If I head up that way I will let you know as I would love to hear your many setups!

Mike

Well, my story just took an interesting/frustrating turn....

I set up my RB-15s for the family cook-out for the Bronco/Niners game yesterday(close game, amirite??), and my mom texts me today saying she likes how THOSE speakers sounded!

??!!???!!!!??

After all her talk about not liking the "sharp" and "high-pitched" sound of her KGs, she takes a liking to what have to be some of the brightest klipsch speakers ever.

Arrgggg, these old ladies never know what they're talking about...

So anyway, I take a look on CL today, and look what I find as the newest klipsch listing.

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4723178249.html

A pair of cherry RF-15s posted 40 min before I checked. Somewhat serendipitous, eh?

.......since you threw it out there, what do you think about the 901?...

I owned the original Series I and I have a pair of Series VI sitting here in boxes. They truly suck now. The series I were much better but have limitations on the frequency extremes, among other issues.

DISCLAIMER: Some of you regular Klipsch Forumites might want to go to the next post NOW, as you might find the rest of this post offensive and disturbing. You've been warned!!!

+++

If you do need to change speakers, your mom might like Bose 301's. They may be Bose's best speakers (8" woofer). I have a pair of 301 II's I have used as computer speakers with a mini-amp. They sound really great for computer speakers and you can play them loud.

Don't ban me. :rolleyes:

Aaarrrgghhh!!! I didn't want to admit that I had already been thinking about this...

.......since you threw it out there, what do you think about the 901? I've always thought she may like Bose but could never bring myself to set up an audition.

There are always several pairs of 901s around me for less than $300

Man, you are going to get BOTH of us banned! :lol:

+++

I like the 901's, always did.  BITD the 901's new were about $1,000 and the 301's were about $250-300, so a used set of 901's for $300 seems  like a good bang-for-the-buck.  I really don't know anything about the used Bose market, and the only Bose I have heard recently are my 301's, currently doing surround duty in my 5.1 setup.

If I remember the sound correctly, the 901's have a lot of punchy mid-range, and require some serious power.  My 301's are more what I would call an "all around" speaker, with good sound from top to bottom, and little or no coloration, and can be driven with nearly any kind of low to mid-range receiver.

Edited by wvu80

Well, I know it's kinda disappointing for me to ask for recommendations on different brands of speakers and end up with another pair of Klipsch.

I picked up the cherry RF-15s last night and I think my mom is pretty happy with them. They look nice(first cherries I've ever bought), mint condition, and it seems that the smaller they get, the warmer they sound. I had a feeling that my 25s were a bit warmer than my 35s and now these 15s have confirmed it.

It was a little late to crank some music on them, but connected to the tv, they sounded pretty good with "Dancing with the Stars". Haha.

Well, I know it's kinda disappointing for me to ask for recommendations on different brands of speakers and end up with another pair of Klipsch.

I picked up the cherry RF-15s last night and I think my mom is pretty happy with them. They look nice(first cherries I've ever bought), mint condition, and it seems that the smaller they get, the warmer they sound. I had a feeling that my 25s were a bit warmer than my 35s and now these 15s have confirmed it.

C'mon man, look at the positives; at least we didn't get banned from the Klipsch site for Heresy! (pun intended)  :rolleyes:   Your mom likes them, and frankly that's all that matters.  :)

It was a little late to crank some music on them, but connected to the tv, they sounded pretty good with "Dancing with the Stars". Haha.

Hey, don't underestimate Dancing With the Stars!  My wife likes the dancing, but I love the music, the studio band is fantastic.  I upgraded to 5.1 through the HDTV a few years ago because of DWTS.  With the cheap 2.0 built-in speakers, we couldn't hear the voices, the music was all out of sync, it was terrible to try to listen to.  Now we have a decent audio system for use with the TV, and both my wife and I are happy with how TV viewing looks and sounds.

Edited by wvu80

If I remember the sound correctly, the 901's have a lot of punchy mid-range, and require some serious power.

The early Bose 901s may sound better than later versions.

The only 901s I have ever heard that I liked were in the late, lamented Alphonso's Mercantile in Mendicino Village.  Alphonso always powered them with HUGE amplifiers (350 to, finally, 1,000 watts), and they sounded great, unlike the muddy mess 901s I've heard elsewhere.   His were 1972 models.

Using the effeciency data from magazine articles (AFAIK, Bose never published the sensitivity of the 901s), It would take about 22 times as much power to drive the 901s properly as it takes to power my Klipschorns.  Since I find 100 watts per channel about right, 901 owners should consider 2,200 watt amplifiers, if they would like my 105 dB very loud levels (occasionally), with clean peaks at about 115 dB.  I know that Mom probably doesn't want full orchestral peak levels, but I'm just saying .... 

I heard some 901s powered by 60 watt amps,, and they sounded horrible!