The Quick on Bass Shaker Installment

derrickdj1

I just got some Aura Pro bass shakers with the Dayton plate amp pushing 250 watts.  I have been working on tailoring my ULF for HT this past year.  Here is a quick how to do:

1.) carefully remove back of chair or couch if necessary

2.) Get some scrap wood from Lowes, Homedepot, or the garage

3.) cut wood around 10 in. X 10 in.  Get some soft wood 1in. think it will make mounting the shakers easier

4.) drill a hole at each corner

5.) fasten the shaker will screw to the soft wood

6.) Secure the wood mounted shaker to the under surface of the chair/couch with zip ties

7.) wire the shaker and connect to the amp before fixing couch or chair enclosure.

8.) You giant staple gun to repair furniture backing.

Edited by derrickdj1

Wiring will vary depending on the type and number of shakers used.  I used a combination of series-paralled to dasiy chain 4 shakers in the couch.  The skaker extend down to around 12 Hz and become very strong above 15 Hz.  Parts Express does not list a FR for the Aura shakers but, as I suspected there was no reason that they could not get into the ULF range.

I have the amp gain at 50 and the shaker set to produce 40Hz and under.  Tomorrow I will do some real testing.

• Like 2

Thanks, it will be a lot of fun.  The good part is it does not come on with music since that is what I am doing most of the time.  I might be getting a little crazy with this bass thing, lol.  One thing about the system, there is not excess bass in places that don't call for it.

Yes we need to setup a tentative date for another gtg.  We will see how often people want to do it.

Edited by derrickdj1

I am thinking of getting some shakers too for my front row since the 2nd row has all the shaking with the DTS-10 under it. Would it work to just put a piece of plywood covering the whole bottom, and then attach the shakers to that?

For dedicated HT's, many people have put them under the floor riser.  They should be thought of as a separate enity in the bass system compared to what you feel from the subs.  These were a relatively inexpensive addition to the bass system that compliments the subs rather than filling in for a lack of ULF.

Today I turned the subs off and ran the Real Traps test tone at -5 on the avr and was surprised to see the needle move at 10 Hz.  They seem to react to the room very similar to the subwoofers.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

Thats crazy insane!!! :) Ive never heard of anyone trying that at home! Sounds like a ton o fun.

Hmmmmmmm time for another gtg already sounds like to me.

Agreed ! and if I remember correctly Derrick volunteered to be next  :lol:

• Like 2

A short review of the Arua Bass Pro transducer.  I better integrated them into the system over the past few days.  They seem to be able to take anything that I have thrown at them.  The small amp will get hot with a movie like Godzilla 2014.  The indicator light was red at the end of the movie.  This indicates a heat buildup.  It may be because I had it in a box enclosure without enough ventilation.  I watched the movie at -3 and 5 hot on the subs which is pretty demanding.  Not once did the tranducers seemed not up to the task.  Goodthing I am only using 4 tranducers.

I had the vibration meter on and the tactile feel was great and took the movie to a whole new level since I last seen it a few weeks ago.  The transducers blend well with the sub and it would be difficult to tell that what you were feeling was not the sub.

Pros:

1.) these shakers are like Klipch and don't take much power to get them going

2.) the tactile feel is very good and they don't cause unwanted attention during the movie when not needed

3.) The relatively low power use is a plus in the power management scheme of my HT

4.) Very affordable at around $300 for 4 and the amp

Cons:

1.) An I Nuke 1000 DSP amp would offer more headroom and integrating options

2.) can't really use the 6+ bass boost if heat is an issue.  I need to re-evaluate this issue with better ventilation

3.) no wireless capability which some want.  Other transducer can offer this at a high cost

I will rate these 4/5.

The Buttkicker, and Clark take at leas 50 watts to get them started and can suck a lot power.  This may be a consideration running all the other HT equipment depending on how many dedicated circuits are in the HT.  An incidental note, the voltage to the system drops off from 120 to 113 with higher wattage output in my system but, not enough to cause a problem.

Edited by derrickdj1

I need to re-evaluate this issue with better ventilation

Get a little wall converter and a computer case fan (12v).  Mount it on the bottom of the box and be sure there's an opening on top for the exhaust to get out.  I have a bunch of them set up that way on components where heat is an issue.  It's a cheap effective fix.

I have 6 of them in different areas currently in use.  They work really well.  There'll be an amp rating on the fan as well as on the converter that you can look at to make sure you're not overloading the converter.  Normally one converter will run several fans.  It's also never hard to find one as most electronics come with them and they outlive the gear that they come with.

Maybe this weekend I can see if some of the stores like Tiger Direct have them.  I did watch another film and just pulled the amp out of the enclosure and no problem.  This really make you appreciate the class D amps for sub duty.

I really wish I had tranducer much ealier since they are so cool to have and use with movies.  They also add a nice effect to some music.  Great bass is not only meant to be heard but, you  should also feel it.

Edited by derrickdj1

derrick man i have never seen them mounted like that. i am thinking you need to try something stiffer like most recommend. mounting on wood then on bottom of couch? and also why not a single inuke 1000 dsp for them? that is what i will buy to use with mine whenever than happens IF it happens. harley took over for a bit and now i am on a gun kick. UGH hobbies are getting worse. i am about to have to start selling other hobby items that i never use. 

1. Physical
    • Now mount and bolt them to a solid object such as you floor of couch. Loose unmounted transducers will do a poor job at transferring energy and it is likely that they will buzz or rattle unless securely fastened.
    • Ideally having a digital delay to compensate for the difference of distance between you subwoofer and tactile transducers would be ideal. Remember that sound travels at about 1 foot per millisecond so if the tactile transducers are mounted in your couch and your subwoofers are 20 feet away then the transducers will be firing about 20ms to early, this interaction could do strange things to the room modes and the flatness of the overall bass frequency response could suffer. But then on the other hand because of the high Q-ness of some transducer, they tend to ring (oscillate after the driving force is removed), so firing a little early will actually help things by having them damp down (stop ringing) a little earlier. Remember installing transducers is both art and science

taken from this page: http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/tactile_faq.html

I have seen some people use larger board but, the way they are mounted there is no rattle.  I used peices of wood that I had in the garage from another project.  Since this is a sectional I may try a larger board on one side for an A/B comparison.  It will be less work and I have one large board left.  4 transducer and the amp came as a package deal.  The amp has a phase knob that I reversed and timing seem good.  I have turned the amp gain down for 3 O'clock to 1 O'clock.  I wish I had my old Carver M 400 amp.  That would have been great.  I like the I Nuke ideal.  Those amp are easy to use and great for subwoofer duty.  Just when I thought I would never go back to using a plate amp, it came with the package deal.

These things will rock you in  a movie like Godzilla, Tron Legacy or Tranformers 4 where the bass is non-stop.  Because of the infrasonics right up on you, you miss a few small subtel sound that you can hear when not using them.  It does not take anything away from the movie.

I am amazed the SC 35 is running 5 amps off the single sub output.  No preamp single clipping even at reference.

Edited by derrickdj1