Advice Needed on SSD's

Jeff Matthews

Here are some links to free software for a few SSD's available. Whatever SSD you buy will likely provide a free software, or provide a kit form which includes the software and video help (Sandisk, Crucial and Kingston for instance).

Toshiba http://www.toshiba.eu/hard-drives/solid-state/solid-state-drive-q-series-pro/

Maxtor and Western Digital http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

Seagate http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/discwizard-master-dl/

I haven't used Easeus, but I have used Acronis products which came with HD's free also.

It looks like the Acronis True Image SSD is the cloning software Crucial uses.  I have not used it, but I would stay with that.

I just cloned to a Samsung Evo 840 yesterday.  Samsung uses proprietary "Data Migration Software."  When it didn't work as planned, I just used a Windows recovery disk I created to finish making my cloned drive a bootup drive.

I don't know if Crucial has other software (Samsung has Magician) to optimize your new drive, but there are several very specific things you should do, such as turn off Defrag, and disable Pre-fetch and Super-fetch.  There are Youtube videos on what to do, and how to do it.  Try to find the suggestions that are tailored to your Crucial SSD.

The drive arrived, and it did not come with a ribbon to connect to my HDD controller.  Those little ribbons are cheap, no doubt, and probably plentiful, but not enough for Radio Shack to have one.  So, there went the whole DIY thing.  I thought I might be able to rob the ribbon off my "old" laptop (which is a not so old i7), but nope, the connection at the HDD controller is different.  Then, I thought I would just clone them in my old computer since it had 2 fully-working drives I could swap-out temporarily.  Nope.  It would not recognize my new Win 8 drive as being a bootable drive, and the settings in the BIOS set-up were correct.   Sometimes, you can't win for losing over stupid, little tasks.

There is a computer shop down the road doing the clone and install for me for $30.  Frankly, had I known I could get it done for $30, I'd never have even blinked about considering paying to let someone else deal with it.  

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Are you going to use just the SSD, or re-use the old HDD as a data drive?  Not all laptops can accommodate a second hard drive.

I should have known to say something about that second cable, because two days ago I ordered the second SATA cable for my son's HP laptop, I think $13 plus shipping (don't forget to order screws and/or disk caddy for the drive).  We still managed to clone the drive because I have an external hub to USB just for that purpose.

As expected, his old Windows Experience rating of 5.9 went went up to 6.9, with the new bottleneck being the video card.  His HDD rating went from 5.9 to 7.9, the max score.

The HP Pavilion i7 wasn't slow before, but it flies now.  B)

Edited by wvu80

The only hitch is the need to use software to clone due to the different data structure of the SSD.  If they'd build it in to the dual drive external units it would be child's play.  Those things are 50 bucks or so.  Don't know why it hasn't happened.  It isn't rocket science.

Dave