Listening to CD's

AaronH

My Onkyo 717 does 7.2 and everything in between, I use Klipsch CF-4 for L/R. 

For music, I like Pure Mode, but it's bright.  I also like Stereo mode, which is also L/R but it sounds less edgy to me.  If I use the sub, it's usually in 5.1 mode, and the center comes into play for voice.  Music Mode sends more voices to the outside of center in the L/R, and Theater Mode sends the voices more to the center speaker, music still in the L/R.  For music in 5.1 mode (2 channel source) the surrounds are not even heard.

A couple of modes I also like which surprised me, was All Stereo, and Mono.  Both sound very good, even though the CF-4 is much better than all the other speakers in the setup, combined.

You might find like I did, than sometimes I tune my listening setup to my mood.  Pure Mode for intensity (jazz and brass), and 5.1 Theater mode (Neo-6 and Dolby PL-II) which is more pleasing and relaxing for male/female vocals.

Edited by wvu80

Do you guys run in 2.1 direct or 2.0 pure direct? Trying to figure out which one I should do. I have the RF7ii's and my SVS sub and I've listened to both ways and can't decide. Any suggestions? Thanks

With my family room multichannel rig, I usually use my NAD pre/pro's "Enhanced Stereo"(all channels) and Audyssey MutlEQ XT with the NAD EQ curve engaged for CD's.  Master bedroom rig I use just stereo with tone controls.  Living room, 2.1 stereo with tone controls engaged.

Bill

Edited by willland

If you've got everything set up with time delays and EQ correcting the RF7II's and subs, then noting that the RF7II's start rolling off at 40-50 Hz, leaving your sub(s) on would always be the setting that I'd use.  All my CDs have frequency response information below 30 Hz, even if it is only sub-harmonics of the recording venue.

FWIW...I always use the subs on my system - never turning them off...but my system isn't the same as yours.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 2

Sony forgot to make the PS4 be able to play CD's unfortunately. Pretty sure they blocked it on purpose actually. I haven't been able to listen to a CD in quite some time.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Pretty sure they blocked it on purpose actually.

I've got two PS3's that Sony has progressively degraded its PS3 support for CD libraries and tagging over the years - until I finally switched to an Oppo BDP-103 (with HDMI to the A/V preamp's DACs). 

I've never looked back--since the sound is actually better once the BDP-103's SACD support and DVD-A support is much better with native formats going directly across the HDMI bus without being translated into any other format.  The tagging and cover art library is also automatic with the Oppo, and it's very good.

I believe that Sony is trying to get out of the disc player business with its PlayStation series.

Edited by Chris A

If you've got everything set up with time delays and EQ correcting the RF7II's and subs, then noting that the RF7II's start rolling off at 40-50 Hz, leaving your sub(s) on would always be the setting that I'd use.  All my CDs have frequency response information below 30 Hz, even if it is only sub-harmonics of the recording venue.

FWIW...I always use the subs on my system - never turning them off...but my system isn't the same as yours.

Chris

Chris,

I had almost forgot how dumb you make me feel.

Chris

Chris,

I had almost forgot how dumb you make me feel.

Not my intent...sometimes I field answers to these questions since there seems to be a lot of misinformation recommending odd answers. 

If you can have full frequency range reproduction in your loudspeakers without significantly adding distortion, then why not reproduce fully what's on the CD?  If the subs were able to be built into the loudspeakers, they would already have been integrated.  Overall, it's advantageous to be able to locate the subs in the corners or along the walls in order to deal with low frequency room modes separately of placing the front and center loudspeakers in their locations for best soundstage imaging.

Most of the issues that I've seen with using subs full time with surround sound arrays have to do with undersized subwoofers or too few subwoofers to adequately cover the room without adding a great deal of AM and compression distortion,  or alternatively, plainly exaggerated bass frequency response to the overall frequency response. This is why I believe most people seem to turn off their subs for music only: undersized subs don't sound very good unless it's just for "thump-thump" of movie sound effects (i.e., the LFE-only channel).

Audyssey and similar software (like YPAO) add-ons to AVRs and AVPs have really helped to reverse that trend by at least getting the frequency response fairly flat to begin with.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1