optimal center channel height?

Paducah Home Theater

Probably a dumb question, and I know it's generally better set up three identical LCR's at the same height, but with actual centers for TV use with towers, most people put it right under their TV and call it good, which varies based on seating, TV side, whether they're using an entertainment center, and other things. However is there an optimal height for the most seamless integration if the TV placement wasn't an issue? Directly in line with the horns is probably not very doable but otherwise I'm wondering if there's a best practice for this.

IMO, as close to the same plane as you can get it.

Make sure you tilt it up or down for the horn to shoot where the main speaker horns are shooting.

This is the best I can do in my situation though I have considered placing the TV on top of the RC-64 to see if it performs better.

Bill

• Like 1

Not what you wanted to hear?  In my experience getting the center midrange and tweeter within a few inches/centimeters of in-line with the front Jubs was a really big deal.  I'd never go back to something offset in the vertical axis. 

My advice would be to raise your TV or screen higher in order to get your center midrange/tweeter in-line with the left/right fronts and recline your HT seats backward to compensate...like I've done in my room.  My flat screen is mounted above the fireplace and we sit about 10-11 feet back. 

Or you could put the center directly behind a screen in-line. 

Chris

• Moderators

Bill is spot on in his advice.  Having the tweeters as close as you can in the horizontal plane is the best case scenario.  Problem is most people do not have that luxury as their TV is where the ideal location of the center should go.  So that typically lends the center to be either placed below or above the TV.  I've heard both and I don't think one sounds any better than the other.  When I had my center above my screen, it was far from ideal but "most" of the time, it was pretty anchored to the screen.  But there were times when my brain "noticed" that the sound was coming from way up high (8' high to be exact).  Most people do not have to mount their center that high. 

When I first came to the forum, I had an RC-7 inside an entertainment center placed in a large opening above the TV.  It never sounded great because the sound was shooting over my head.  Then a forum member suggested that I angle the speaker towards my LP and WOW!  What a difference that made!  NIGHT and DAY kind of difference. 

I'm grateful to soon be rebuilding my front wall to where I can place all 3 LaScalas directly behind a 150" AT Screen. 

It's really a parameter driven equation based on, of all things, screen width.

THX figured this stuff out in the early 80's. Where a picture and center channel is involved, our brains will tolerate about seven degrees from screen center, at the optimum viewing distance, for a given screen size.

In line with Chris's experience, seven degrees isn't much, so unless you have a 13" screen or sit better than 12 feet from your averaged-sized screen/flat panel TV, I wouldn't expect any miracles. The sound can get close, but without a transparent screen to shoot through, it'll still be a compromise. 

5.1, it's a ******.

Edited by Quiet_Hollow

5.1, it's a ******.

Yes. It seems that the center loudspeaker must be designed to match the fronts (i.e, matched full range FR, polars, and phase) and positioned on-axis within the front three array--easily the area of greatest weakness of any HT setup. 

Edited by Chris A