Found what seems to be a decent online audio store.

m00n

Great prices and YES they have Klipsch, WOW the prices are sweet. They have no problem showing off the BBB logo either. I know that necessaraly mean that these guys are not shifty, but, I think it's a good sign.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/index.cfm?Fuseaction=main

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Nice!

No doubt unauthorized, but so what?

Hard to beat $1,550 a pair for RF-7's!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

They actually take very good care of you.

If the speaker breaks withing 30 days, they fix it. After 30 days, you can use the Klipsch warranty.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

To prevent Klipsch from determining the source of the speakers they are selling. I believe it has something to do with the distributor agreement, which may preclude dealers from wholesaling them to non-authorized dealers.

I have heard that sometimes dealers will overbuy in order to qualify for better pricing/discounts/etc... from the factory, and then sell the overstock to gray market folks like this.

Doug

------------------

My System

And if you guys have been paying attention to the boards and the auctions...one of the selling points/pics always include mention of the serial numbers, and show the stickers.

When I did my quasi-upgrade, I bought from un-authorized dealers/e-tailers, well because I wasn't spending a whole shitload of money. The original stickers were replaced with "Brother P-Touch Labels"...yeee haa.. Sorry , there is always the "genuine Rolex risk- albeit small"

... But when I decided to go for the R7 stuff, I wanted full warranty,By the manufacturer...

"They fell of the back of a truck, HONEST!"

I wonder if Good Guys will match $1,550 a pair? Smile.gif

------------------

Ken,

Good guys will come very close, I got mine for $1,600 for the pair.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

No kidding?

If you don't mind, give me the Cliff's Note's version of your process?

I have heard going into the store with a credit card between your fingers, asking for the manager, naming your price and exact product, and doing it 5 minuites before closing can score you a good deal.

------------------

People got to make a living. I'm happy if they eat the tax.

I know my salesman at Carlin Audio works off commission. He does a good job and it's not right to go in there "lowballing". I feel good when he makes money off my sale -- and he knows it.

Support your freaking dealers or they'll be gone.

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

No kidding?

If you don't mind, give me the Cliff's Note's version of your process?

I have heard going into the store with a credit card between your fingers, asking for the manager, naming your price and exact product, and doing it 5 minuites before closing can score you a good deal.

Ken, you basically got it down. I went in with a qoute from an internet store and said, I was buying either from their store, or from the online dealer. I didn't care. But that if he wanted my business, he was going to have to match the price. I got him to within 100.00. Oh and yes, I basically was flashing my credit card in front of him. Wink.gif

Dean,

I know what you mean, however, when your salesman tells you how much money he just made off a sale the next day, then you don't feel too terrible about "lowballing" them. cwm1.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 08-05-2002 at 01:44 AM

Alrighty:

1.) 99+% of the people who buy stuff from Good Guys pay the retail (aka, list price) for the goods. If they make $50 from me, instead of $600, well, I will have only wasted 10 minuites of their time while they rang me up and wheeled the speakers out to my truck.

2.) I interviewed and know Good Guys, they are shitty slime bags who would steal your car while you were in the store of they could. Money is their drive, not being nice. Ever been offer a drink (Coke, water, coffee) in Good Guys before ploping down two grand, nope!

3.) They are not paying half of what they are selling their goods for, espcially stuff like hi-end Klipsch or big screens.

4.) C A P I T O L I S M ! ! !

5.) Good Guys isn't Mom and Pop's, they have a cushy office in So. San Francisco. Their store's aren't exactly falling to pieces, either.

I am ONLY into Good Guys to get stuff as cheap as I can. If I was buying from a nice, Mom and Pop's place, I would go out of my way to make sure they made some profit off of the purchase, I care about small businesses like that, and would go out of my way to take care of them.

6.) Is Carlin Audio a small, independent chain store? If so, I would pay a lot more for their gear than I would at Good Guys, at least they might offer me a Coke and a chance to take some gear home to try!!!

Do you get where I am coming from? ESPECIALLY look at #1, that is the big one for me.

------------------

Damnit RatBoy, I knew it would happen sooner or later, I fully agree with you.

Those evil online sellers are somehow making a profit even with their super low prices. That means that these other places are making that much more off each purchase. If it's a matter of them or me walking away with several hundred dollars in pocket, I choose me. Besides, at this point, the only way I could even buy the speakers is at the discounted price.

"Support your freaking dealers or they'll be gone."

And if your dealers aren't gone, your good salespeople will be.

I spent 6 years in the business and left - because I could not afford to stay. When I first started in the A/V business, I was giddy because I could make a living in my hobby. I also gained much satisfaction by "turning people on" to my hobby - I sold many items because customers could see this - that I cared more about the customer being happy and enjoying the hobby, rather than just "selling them something, whether they needed it or not". Being able to make a living in the biz wouldn't last long, for two reasons.

1. Price driven nature of the market: People found out that electronics prices, like car prices, are negotiable. Margins continued to shrink as more retailers threw their hats in the ring. Buyers would simply price shop from store to store, regardless of the advice given, until the salespeople made nothing. If the consumer wants knowledgeable advice, he/she must pay for that to some degree. The craft of sales and service in A/V has effectively been reduced to "order taking" in the majority of stores today. On occasion, my "service and knowledge" was appreciated by the customer (and I got steady return business from those who appreciated that) - but most wanted a price first, before the service (these folk are now getting what they want - good price, no service).

2. The first dollars (at least the majority of them) that a customer gets off of the price of an item comes out of the salesperson's pocket. I sold entirely too many systems where I made 1-2% on the sale. Ever spent 10 hours or more of your time assisting a customer on a $5000 plus system, then getting paid $50 for doing it? And that's just the sale - it's rare to sell that much gear without the customer needing assistance after the sale. There's only so many hours in a week - many salespeople would be happy with 20,000 in sales in a week, but wouldn't be happy with the paltry commission check, unless they sold a boatload of warranties......

3. Falling margins then led to the sales push of the item I loathe most - the extended warranty. It became the only way for a salesperson to make money (which means the salesperson must tell the customer that the item they are about to purchase will break, and needs a warranty). I sold gear the way I would buy it - with attention to build and sound quality. Why the hell do they need an extended warranty?

I have always felt that the A/V business is like any other - that success as a salesperson is dependent on establishing a long term relationship with the customer - and establishing a good word of mouth. Customers did not buy from XYZ Audio/Video, they were buying from me.

I wish I could still make a living doing this - but it doesn't pay - and there are so few B+M stores out there anymore to provide that ideal opportunity (an environment where I would feel more comfortable). While getting a good deal from unauthorized vendors on the web is attractive, be aware of what you are paying for - in most cases, the product, and nothing else. You do get what you pay for.

If you know a good A/V salesperson that you trust, give him/her your business, and be glad you know one of these "rare birds". They are more and more difficult to find these days.

Well said, dnd! There is a local Sound Advice in Orlando that has a number of salesmen who have been there for 20 years or more. One of them has spent a lot of time with me and is very knowledgable. He will not match internet prices, but gets close enough where I gladly give him my business. He is a fan of Klipsch Heritage btw...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Again, I don't know if you are trying to oppose my post, but here is a quote from my origional post:

quote:

I am ONLY into Good Guys to get stuff as cheap as I can. If I was buying from a nice, Mom and Pop's place, I would go out of my way to make sure they made some profit off of the purchase, I care about small businesses like that, and would go out of my way to take care of them.

So, thats basically it for what I have to say.

There was an audio store in LA I went to. I was looking at a pair of Energy (forget name) speakers that were $1,200 a pair, and I was about to buy, but we moved to England. Anyway, if I had boughten them, I would have probably offered the guy $1,100, knowing full well that he would be raking it in on that purchase. Also, that would have been with 3ish hours of listening (2 of which, he was helping OTHER people.)

------------------

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

KRB - I'm not "opposing" you - after all, this isn't CNN's Crossfire, where opposing opinions are required! On the left, dndphishin, and on the right........

Mainly I wanted to reinforce deang's comments, from a former A/V salesperson's POV. I think the online retailers cause us to lose sight of the service end of things. This is a trend in general - people accept less service in exchange for a good price. Nothing in life is free.

I also realize that many on this board are DIY'ers who pick and choose thier own gear based on thier own research - IOW, they are not relying on info from the salesman to make a purchase. Still, if there was no place to demo gear except for the mega retailers, we would all be stuck with Bo$e (which would indeed be a sign that the world IS going to hell).....

This gets to the heart of unauthorized dealers selling Klipsch - Klipsch wants the product to be backed by a degree of service - which cannot be accomplished by online e-tailers. For a dealer to provide that service, they must make a profit (which is not a bad thing). Most speakers are 40-50% markup (out of the $2200 MSRP of RF-7's, I would venture a guess that the dealer pays about $1200). That $1000 goes more places than you think. First, the difference in MSRP vs. sales price - whatever discount you get. Second, sales commissions. Third, dealer time spent for service after the sale - again, not free. Fourth is the return - if you return them, the dealer cannot sell them as new - so the dealer won't make as much on the pair you returned, that the dealer must resell. Not to mention the overhead - paying for the store and it's operating costs. Whatever is left over is profit.

In exchange for paying that profit to the dealer, you get a place to demo them, and a place to go back to if you have trouble. With "unauthorized" e-tailers, you get no demo before the sale, and you must deal with the e-tailer for service (assuming they are still there when you have trouble). If Good Guys went out of business after you bought Klipsch speakers, you could still go to another Klipsch dealer for service.

If the salespeople at GG stink, try to support another dealer with good salespeople. I like to think that you are not buying from Good Guys per se - but the salesperson. I also like to think that supporting those who truly enjoy the hobby will ensure the longevity of the hobby. It may not always be possible, but it's worth thinking about.