NAD - Adcom - Rotel - K-tel??

mace

Hi,

I'm in the market for a Power Amp to drive Cornwall I's (1977) or maybe KLF-30's. I listen to anything but rap and country. My favorite is heavy electric guitar stuff (Dream Theater, Satriani etc.) but classical is very important. I have an old NAD integrated amp 3240 (40 wpc). I've decided to go solid state because of lower maintenance and the occasional "kick" needed to boost my spirits (and bust my eardrums).

My plan is to start with just a 2 channel power amp and use the NAD as a pre-amp for a while.

Questions:

1) What is more critical to sound quality: pre- or power amp??

2) What is a the best sounding amp with the best specs (high current, damping factor, very low distortion at less than 1 W etc.) for up to $750?

3) What are some brands to look into?

4) How do more mainstream brands (Onkyo, Sony, Yamaha Best Buy variety) compare with the Adcoms, Rotels etc.?

5) How does one hook up a center channel with a 2 channel system (a little off topic but I'm curious)?

I live in an area where listening to these types of things just isn't possible in a store. So, I'll go off recommendations here and see what happens.

Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Mace

dndphisin,

Thanks for the tip. Any particular models or timeframes of McIntosh? I've read here "they don't make 'em like they used to" (figure same folks say that about Klipsch, too).

I suppose a McIntosh would go nicely with my G4 as well.

What do you do in Moline? I used to work in Rock Island and live in Bettendorf about 7 years ago.

Thanks,

Mace

Want to but a old Mitsubishi receiver that came with a big screen in 1986? I guarentee enough power to drive even the largest TV speakers!!!

ANYWAY!!!:

I have NOT heard good things about NAD, mostly the things are rats nests of wire. Don't know for CERTAIN.

I would look at Adcom, Rotel, and some of the upper-end Yamaha gear, they all seem to be good and honest.

For used McIntosh, DROOL!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I love Parasound, but a little $$$ for my tastes.

I would LOVE a Cinepro amp...

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I used an NAD receiver with my first pair of Klipsch KG4s bought in 1986. It's still kicking today -- good power supply and very conservatively rated as far as output goes. Sounded fine to my ears!

If you're open to it, I'd also check the used Acurus amps on Audiogon. There are some 250x2 selling for much less than your max. I have a 200x3 which sounds nice with my Chorus. It also runs cool as a cucumber (important in Arizona Smile.gif ).

Doug

------------------

My System

I have heard some users on this forum that have new NAD gear and are a little dissapointed by the build quailty, that is all.

------------------

Personally i've got a nad c340, creek 4240, and a rotel ra 971. I've tried them all with my '85 cornwalls, here is what i've found:

The creek is the best musically,

the nad is a little less musical, but more bass heavy,(good for louder listening)

and the rotel is the poorer (less musical) of the three, but has more options.

Hope this helps!

I'm using a Rotel RB-1080 amp (200wpc) and this thing sounds really good at higher volumes. At lower levels it kinda lays down from the full richness of the program. I'm getting bass galore, especially at lower frequencies. Paid about $900 for it a year ago. If I could find a used Mac MC202 or MC7200 for under $2,000 I'd consider selling it though.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 07-31-2002 at 08:34 AM

I'musing a Sherbourn amp. I recently tested it against a Scott 299B and the SS amp had a similar sound. We both ageed it was hard to tell the difference is sound. That says a lot for my SS amp. The great thing about SHerbourn amps (owner was president of McCintosh for 4 years) is that the 5/1500 are true monoblocks...All they share is a power cord. Therefore, you could buy just two monoblocks and then upgrade later to add more. Or you can just buy a used 5/1500a for about 1200.00 and call it a day. You'll get 5 channels of smooth power. Read the reviews the Sherbourn blew away ATI's amps, parasound, Acurus, etc. It was compared to amps costing my times more and rated favorably.

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com/klipsch

Do you have a preference for new or used gear?

I mean, old McIntosh gear is great, but some people want new stuff.

------------------

I'm actually the Rep for NAD/PSB line (among other lines). They still make great stuff, too. One of my rep buddies rebuilds Mac and Altec stuff in Dallas that he resells. If you can find an Onkyo M504 power amp, that's a hot ticket at 165wpc. the Mac style VU meters are cool, too. As eficient as the speakers are, the extra power is definitely nice for the transients and dynamics. NAD has always faired well there. Too many good choices in the market, that's for sure.

Thanks for all the great replies.

I've been happy with my NAD but I'm looking to upgrade. I know there are better amps out there than my old 3240. I want to go seperates and stick with SS. I'd prefer something not so huge and fancy needles and such aren't necessary. Just a light for power and clipping.

Sounds like McIntosh comes recommended. Thanks for the input (more is welcome!)! I'll do some reading online about the various brands mentioned here.

As far as used vs. new I'm indifferent. I just want a high quality amp.

Thanks again,

Mace

This message has been edited by mace on 07-31-2002 at 09:44 PM

I like Onkyo, but I don't feel they are at the forefront of stereo (if there is a forefront...)

If you want a winner, make a stereo preamp with digital in/outs and a REAL NICE DAC/ADC in it. I would be the first one in line. Put a nice tuner in there to.

------------------

• 1 month later...

I too am looking for a better amp/pre-amp for my 1977 Cornwalls. I've used a Carver C-500 and then a M1.5 in the 80's and I see the M1.5 for around $450--would that be a good buy and fit for the Corns?

I'll be needing a surround processor, too but I really don't want to pay $4-$5k for the Rotel, Sunfire, Krell, etc. seperates. I'm moving my speakers downstairs to demo them with my old Denon AVR-2000 to see if I can get by with a new Denon 3802 instead.

I still feel in lo-fi with my 80's 60watt Hitachi receiver connect to my Cornwalls. Once I get the power meter bouncing between .75 & 1.5w the sound starts telling me to turn it down.

Hello,

I recently aquired a B&K ST2140 amp amd a Adcom GTP 450.

I've been immersed in some seriously heavy listening. Can't drag myself away.

The B&K/Adcom combo has been bringing new life to every pair of speakers i've hooked up.

I like B&K products. IMO, they make decent, solid equipment.

The amp i'm using is 140 watts x 2.

It has RCA and balanced inputs, no gains.

A set of 5 way binding posts.

That's it.

Plus, a very simple face.

Only the power button and one light.

I don't know alot about the Adcom.

Mace,

I'm not sure what sound you'd get with that kind of combination.

But, IMHO, it is always worth spending a little more for your amp.

I'm still undecided about which is more important in the chain. Pre amp/amp?

I know that what goes into the amp is directly related to what comes out.

So, possibly pre amp? I just don't know.

The quality of an amp can make or break a system regardless of pre-amp quailty.

I guess finding a happy medium between both would be best.

Edit- I've learned (3 months later) that indeed the pre-amp is most important.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

This message has been edited by Audioreality on 09-02-2002 at 11:37 PM

Trust me when I tell you to buy a Acurus DIA 100

intergrated amp.It is a power amp with a passive

pre-amp built in.I just got one and man does

this thing sound great.Better than my old

Audio Research D52-b!For under 1000.00 you cannot

find a better amp.Go to audioreview.com for great reviews.

95yellovett