Question on Interesting 5.1 Output for Stereo

TJIann

So, I have a full Heritage setup in my listening room with Cornwall II fronts, Heresey backs and a Hersey center.  My Outlaw Audio preamp has a 5.1 output that is non-proprietary (i.e., not Dolby, DTS, etc.) but simply allows you to send the same exact signal to the front and back speakers.  So, in essence I have my fronts and backs running the same.  The result is nothing short of phenomenal in my opinion.  The CIIs and Heresys compliment each other so well, and the articulation of instrument layers and voices is just incredible.  Just curious if other preamps/receivers offer this format as well?  I had not run into it before.

• Like 1

• Moderators

They usually do as far as I know, my Yamaha calls it 6 channel stereo.....it's a 6.1 receiver.

It Ok for say a party where you just want the same sound from all speakers, kind of like background music.

For me when I wanted to use the rear speakers for just 2 channels Dolby sounded better to me, it put a little more sound in the mains/front then the rear for a little more realistic sound, you usually do not hear music from the back except some reflected sounds of the room.

But like everything, if you like it that's all that matters.

• Like 1

So, I have a full Heritage setup in my listening room with Cornwall II fronts, Heresey backs and a Hersey center.  My Outlaw Audio preamp has a 5.1 output that is non-proprietary (i.e., not Dolby, DTS, etc.) but simply allows you to send the same exact signal to the front and back speakers.  So, in essence I have my fronts and backs running the same.  The result is nothing short of phenomenal in my opinion.  The CIIs and Heresys compliment each other so well, and the articulation of instrument layers and voices is just incredible.  Just curious if other preamps/receivers offer this format as well?  I had not run into it before.

My NAD T175HD pre/pro and NAD T773 has an "Enhanced Stereo" mode that is absolutely incredible.  The imaging and depth is as close to 3-dimensional as you can get.  Though I do think it runs about 5dB hot by design.

Bill

• Like 1

So, I have a full Heritage setup in my listening room with Cornwall II fronts, Heresey backs and a Hersey center. My Outlaw Audio preamp has a 5.1 output that is non-proprietary (i.e., not Dolby, DTS, etc.) but simply allows you to send the same exact signal to the front and back speakers. So, in essence I have my fronts and backs running the same. The result is nothing short of phenomenal in my opinion. The CIIs and Heresys compliment each other so well, and the articulation of instrument layers and voices is just incredible. Just curious if other preamps/receivers offer this format as well? I had not run into it before.

I couldn't agree more with you about this mode of listening. I feel fully surround in music. I stopped using 2 channel mode.

• Like 1