Forte - Forte II - question

expresso

Try Copeland's Fanfare for the Common Man.  The timpani are awesome in this piece and it will show off he bass capabilities of the Forte II.  Of course there are other music selections but I like the way the brass and percussion are used in this piece.

One of the BEST selections EVER to demo any speaker.  The direct to disk version Sonic Spectaculars by Crystal Clear Records is probably the best version  ... also has Zarathustra, and more!

I got my Forte II's with upgraded X overs and Ti tweeters. I did the weight to the passives and made some better stands, they never leave me wanting. and I have owned LOTS of speakers.

hi -  did you leave the Mid alone or upgrade those to Ti also ?   are the x overs bobs ?   how do you add the weight to  the passive ?   and what did you get from that -  is the bass deeper lower and tighter or just lower  -   what did you use to add the weight -  how much did you add ? 

bass sound pretty good as is -  but if it can be tighter -  deep  - sounds nice -    

I contemplated the mid but Bob told me that not everyone likes the mid upgrade so I left it alone. I don't know who did the X-overs, all Sonic caps. I just adds some stainless washers to the passives 2.4 oz and it just made the bass a little deeper or fuller. All in all positive and inexpensive upgrades, I used hot glue to secure the washers so its completely irreversible. The higher risers made a huge difference IMO.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/145212-forte-ii-vs-chorus/page-3

I contemplated the mid but Bob told me that not everyone likes the mid upgrade so I left it alone. I don't know who did the X-overs, all Sonic caps. I just adds some stainless washers to the passives 2.4 oz and it just made the bass a little deeper or fuller. All in all positive and inexpensive upgrades, I used hot glue to secure the washers so its completely irreversible. The higher risers made a huge difference IMO.

Steel washers are fine to add dead weight that's what Klipsch uses (the plate inside the passive is steel so no need for SS> the weight that I established when I came up with this modification is 2.5 ounces per passive. This will lower the bass response into the high twenty Hz range. Do not use more weight than this or you will run into problems with the passive. Speaker position will tighten up your bass better than anything and it is free and simple to do. These speakers can be re damped but it is a big job not much fun and complicated, I would not recommend this to anyone other than a well seasoned modification veteran who is into design as well. Best regards Moray James.

sounds great - by any chance - did anyone take pictures of adding the washers etc, -  like a step by step  on how to do it correctly -  i know its very simple etc, - but always good for people like me who even a simple thing can be a problem sometimes if not done right -   i am not looking to do it now -  but nice to know for maybe the future -

if you remove the horns - drivers in the forte II -   just unscrew them off -  are there gaskets underneath them ?  between the driver and the cabinet ?    if there are -  is there a place to purchase them so when i do remove them for any reason i can just replace with new ones -  

thanks - 

I never rook any pictures though I have seen some posted at audio karma. it is very obvious once you remove yor passive there is a about a two inch dia. disk in the centre of the inside of the passive cone right where the voice coil would be in a driver and it is covered in gray paper. Simply centre your steel weights and tack them in place with a very small amount of five min. epoxy glue.

If you don't find any gaskets (they are missing) you can buy thin closed cell foam (must be closed cell NOT open cell foam)at outlets like parts express and others. Thin adhesive backed window seal closed cell foam works just as well from a hardware store. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

I never rook any pictures though I have seen some posted at audio karma. it is very obvious once you remove yor passive there is a about a two inch dia. disk in the centre of the inside of the passive cone right where the voice coil would be in a driver and it is covered in gray paper. Simply centre your steel weights and tack them in place with a very small amount of five min. epoxy glue.

If you don't find any gaskets (they are missing) you can buy thin closed cell foam (must be closed cell NOT open cell foam)at outlets like parts express and others. Thin adhesive backed window seal closed cell foam works just as well from a hardware store. Best regards Moray James.

ok very good -  thanks -  good to know when the time comes -  with the eboxy glue -  would i be able to remove it if i wanted later on or if i didnt like it - ?    if not - what is best to use if you want to remove later -   do you know of any that have fallen off the passive during use or over time ?   i would be concerned about that also -  if they got loose or just fell off over time and hit the xover - do damage or just sit there and never knowing :)    i am sure you would hear the difference but you may think its something else -  and not think to check - 

Post #49 is a picture of how I attached my washers. I scuffed them up with 36 grit sand paper to give the glue a better bite. I would imagine it would make an annoying buzzing sound before it fell of but pretty sure mine never will.

ok very good -  thanks -  good to know when the time comes -  with the eboxy glue -  would i be able to remove it if i wanted later on or if i didnt like it - ?    if not - what is best to use if you want to remove later -   do you know of any that have fallen off the passive during use or over time ?   i would be concerned about that also -  if they got loose or just fell off over time and hit the xover - do damage or just sit there and never knowing :)    i am sure you would hear the difference but you may think its something else -  and not think to check -

you only need a very small amount of adhesive to bond the washers together and to bond them to the disk at the centre of the passive. Three or four dots of adhesive around the inside edge and the outside edge of the washers will do and yes that will make the washers easy to remove if you want to at some later date should you want to restore then to original condition. Installed as described the washers are not going anywhere any time. Best regards Moray James.

ok sounds good -  so just once solid 2 once washer - sand a little and glue -  is there a special kind of adhesive to use -  any specific brand or name etc, -  or else i end up at the hardware store - they give me what ever and say its fine

just to know - i am not ready to do this now - but i like to learn and understand before hand -   

another thing i noticed with the forte II -  the speaker posts -  i use bananas for my speaker wire - always have - worked fine and easy for me to remove etc, -  but with the Forte -  the bananas dont fit all the way in flush -  unlike the 82's and even my Kg -  on those - they fit in much deeper in the post - 

the spring part of the bananas plugs - they are in the posts but it stops there -  i would have liked them to go in further -  i dont see any problems with it this way -  they work - they dont fall out  and snug enough - -

just curious if anyone else uses bananas and if there are any shorter ones which would fit all the way in -  a friend was not able to find any shorter when he got his forte  - 

Expresso;

I use bananas, and yes they fit as you have described for the past 23 years, all is good. Just tighten the red and black terminal jack on each speaker once banana plug is fully inserted.

Best regards,

John

Also, I provided several posts ago a schematic as to why a cross over mod is required with titanium mids on the forte II.  Your question afterwards was, am I happy with the modification.  The answer is a resounding yes!

Edited by John Chi-town

ok sounds good -  so just once solid 2 once washer - sand a little and glue -  is there a special kind of adhesive to use -  any specific brand or name etc, -  or else i end up at the hardware store - they give me what ever and say its fine

just to know - i am not ready to do this now - but i like to learn and understand before hand -   

another thing i noticed with the forte II -  the speaker posts -  i use bananas for my speaker wire - always have - worked fine and easy for me to remove etc, -  but with the Forte -  the bananas dont fit all the way in flush -  unlike the 82's and even my Kg -  on those - they fit in much deeper in the post - 

the spring part of the bananas plugs - they are in the posts but it stops there -  i would have liked them to go in further -  i dont see any problems with it this way -  they work - they dont fall out  and snug enough - -

just curious if anyone else uses bananas and if there are any shorter ones which would fit all the way in -  a friend was not able to find any shorter when he got his forte  -

you are not likely to find a single flat washer that weighs in at 2.5 ounces, I used two large steel washers glued together with a thin layer of five min epoxy. This is not a demanding application any quality brand name adhesive will do. you may need to search to find suitable washers. Best regards Moray James.

Expresso;

I use bananas, and yes they fit as you have described for the past 23 years, all is good. Just tighten the red and black terminal jack on each speaker once banana plug is fully inserted.

Best regards,

John

Also, I provided several posts ago a schematic as to why a cross over mod is required with titanium mids on the forte II.  Your question afterwards was, am I happy with the modification.  The answer is a resounding yes!

Hi  - yes - i was curious if you were happy with the sound with out the Mod for the Mid Ti on the x over -  i though you didnt do it and liked it -  i have read a few that love it with doing any mod to the x over -   i guess each person is different - i understand what is shows on paper -  but then if it sound good to your ears -  dosnt matter - also room treatment - etc, -    but good to know -   i can always try with out first -   to see how it sounds - 

thanks

you are not likely to find a single flat washer that weighs in at 2.5 ounces, I used two large steel washers glued together with a thin layer of five min epoxy. This is not a demanding application any quality brand name adhesive will do. you may need to search to find suitable washers. Best regards Moray James.

Ok i got it -  you used the epoxy to connect the washers together to themselves first -  and then the adhesive to the passive -     do you know what size washers i should look for -  in terms of size around -  like a 2 inch around flat ?   i dont want to end up with a larger washers than the area i need to glue it to - :) 

i am interested in doing all these little mods at some point - nice to hear the difference - it may be to my liking 

thanks

I think that you need to pull a passive and take a look and make an assessment for yourself. You are the one who will be doing this mod. You are going to be the one going to the hardware store or where ever to find what ever you can to do the job. Best is a flat weight like the steel flat washers washers that I use but you can substitute what ever you want but you are on your own if you do. I don't mean to sound short here but people ask things to death sometimes and most of the time they do not follow instructions not even close. So you need to see what you can find. I gave you the best and easiest to find suitable material to use for this job. You have directions. You can wing it if you want to, people do all the time or you can follow the recipe and be sure get predictable results. If this is just too complicated then don't do it or seek some local help of leave it be that's a lot better than messing it up. I started a thread looking for local help for you from members in your area one of them should have contacted you. Go to that thread and start a dialog with people who are close to you who are willing and who can help. You know the old saying, "if you have to ask?" there is a lot of sense in that. I don't want to be answering how do I fix it questions. I am not trying to be negative I want whatever you do to work and if you need help get some. As to your last question I found standard imperial size steel flat washers (with a hole in the middle)that were a little smaller in diametre than the disk in the passive. With a little checking in the bin I found four where pairs made up 2.5 ounces on the nose. You need to check the weight as washer material thickness varies and with the trash out of China today and that is all you will find. So you will need to sort through the box for sets that weight the desired amount. I only made one trip to a Home Depot and found what I was looking for. I hope that this helps. Sorry I do not remember he size I just looked at the washers and guessed the size by eye, I suggest that you measure your passive disk and jot it down on a note pad. Best regards Moray James.

thanks -  i figured i can save the time of removing them just to check the size -  but its not a big deal -  this is something i can do in the future - most likely when i open them for the x over mod etc, -   

i like to always have everything i may need to do a job - on hand - this way - when i start - i will finish same day etc, -  

so you suggest 2.5 ounces - no more  - no less -   ?   

thanks -  i figured i can save the time of removing them just to check the size -  but its not a big deal -  this is something i can do in the future - most likely when i open them for the x over mod etc, -   

i like to always have everything i may need to do a job - on hand - this way - when i start - i will finish same day etc, -  

so you suggest 2.5 ounces - no more  - no less -   ?

you would be saving time if you removed one of your passive radiators now and had a good look around inside to familiarize yourself with what is there and how it all works. Actually having the part in your hand and looking at it would greatly help your understanding and make for fewer questions. You would also reduce your anxiety level and be much more comfortable with any future work that you may decide to do. Kind of like when mom walked with you to school the day before you did it on your own.

Yes 2.5 ounces is the recommended weight for this job not more. If you use less weight you will get less bass extension it's as simple as that. You are welcome to experiment with a range of weights up to 2.5 ounces. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james