Forte - Forte II - question

expresso

• Moderators
expresso, on 17 Dec 2014 - 4:54 PM, said:

dtel, on 17 Dec 2014 - 1:40 PM, said:

expresso, on 17 Dec 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:expresso, on 17 Dec 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Ski Bum, on 17 Dec 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:Ski Bum, on 17 Dec 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

They're fixable, even replaceable.  I'm still distracted by the veneer of those forte II, it appears to be walnut.      

ok thats good news -  and yeah - they are not black - but i wont let the color or finish bother me at this point -  i can always refinish or paint black if it bothers me that much -   i dont mind the walnut or darker Oak etc, - 

Good man, I feel the same way.

so you have the originals still and how do you like them  ?    i would hate to pass up on a good pair - good price even if they were the forte I -   but at the same time - i dont have room for so many - and then once i get the I -  i bet i will find the II -   always that way -   i am starting to get tired and this will die down -  my itch to get them -   i wont give up - but not going to stress it so much -   all i care about is the cabinets in great shape and drivers etc, - grills also --  color i dont care right now -   just finding someone who will ship is harder than finding the forte II   haha -    oh well - 

maybe i should have them built if i knew i could get the horns for them and a cabinet - i would just do that and be done with it

I do still have the originals, I use 6 for HT, front three 2 version, rear center a 2, and L&R rear original. I really couldn't hear much difference at all between versions.

If you run across some originals at a good price get them,  you could always sell them if you find the 2 version, if you don't overpay you can always get your money back, or very close.

Don't rush and they will pop up, be patient.

It cost more for the parts to build your own cabinets than to just buy the real thing. This is part of the problem sometimes, people buy them sell off the parts and dump the cabinets and make more than just selling whole.

• Like 1

I like the Forte II version for better detail and vocals in the mid horn, but I also hate the Velcro for the original versions grills, I personally think that the magnet setup on the Forte II is the best grill attachement device that Klipsch ever came out with and should still be used today!! No more damned broken grill pegs, now imagine THAT!

Roger

how bad is having a hole in the dust cap  and the other pushed in -  does this affect the speaker at all -  things like that drive me crazy - to see it pushed etc, -  is they any way to replace just the dust cap - ?

Yes you can buy just the dust cap. http://www.parts-express.com/cat/dust-caps/327

yeah thats nice -   i guess i worry about that if i even get a pair :)

i am getting tired also with all these ads - i emailed a few - called left messages -  i did get one call back - not sure with the shipping etc, - will get back to me -  and the first one i am back dealing with him -  he will get me the shipping costs and then i can know for sure what the cost will be to me in total -   i believe if he does that and its not over $200 to ship -  i may just get them and be done -  he says in excellent condition -  one marking of a something on the top of one speaker and one rear dust cap pushed in  -  thats all from the pictures he sent me - 

i guess i find out soon enough hopefully it works out for both of us -  he wants no less than $600  plus shipping -  i realize theres no other for me anyway - i always have to end up with shipping expenses - 

if i can get a pair for $400 Forte Original - NOT the II -   total shipped -   Should i consider it and let the Forte II go ?    i mean - it would be about half the price -  just wondering are the Forte II -  $400 better ?   

thats if it ends up at the $400 price - it may be much higher -  its not clear - says free shipping - then in the details say pick up only or can bring half way - ??    i hate when things are not Clear -  

if i can get a pair for $400 Forte Original - NOT the II -   total shipped -   Should i consider it and let the Forte II go ?    i mean - it would be about half the price -  just wondering are the Forte II -  $400 better ?   

thats if it ends up at the $400 price - it may be much higher -  its not clear - says free shipping - then in the details say pick up only or can bring half way - ??    i hate when things are not Clear -

Prices and preferences tend to be regional. Some prefer the Forte some the Forte ll and prices reflect this. Sounds like the vendor is willing to do some travel with the speakers in his vehicle to meet a buyer, are you sure that you don't have a friend with a vehicle you could bribe to help you to pick up it is a much better option to shipping? A forte is essentially a Heresy ll with a bigger box and a reflex vent.

I did say that that there are those who prefer the Forte over the Forte ll. Personally I believe that the hybrid mid horn used in the Forte ll is a significantly better design than the K701 used in the Heresy and Forte. Versions of the hybrid conical/tractrix design are the mainstay of the Klipsch Reference Series and of Klipsch Pro and the K600 K701 and K400 are nowhere to be found in modern Klipsch designs today the sole exceptions would be the Heresy 3 and the Cornwall 3 which both use the k701 mid horn which is a resin version of the metal cast K700 and they are both included in the Heritage series.

Making the jump from phenolic to titanium diaphragms in older Klipsch products does make for a significant improvement those metal diaphragms are also used in all the reference series and in Klipsch Pro products. I would tend to agree with jjptkd that a fully upgraded (all ti diaphragm) Forte would be preferable to a stock Forte ll but I would still hold out for a Forte ll as I believe the Forte ll mid horn is better horn in every way over a K701 as used in the Forte. I think that I also mentioned previously that a solid set of KLF20 with fresh diaphragms is a better option over a Forte ll as the mid horns are better and the cabinet is turned sideways so the narrow width faces forward. The other bonus is that the four ten inch woofers push a lot more are than the two twelve inch woofers in either Forte model. So keep your eyes open. Best regards Moray James

Of all the Heritage and Extended Heritage line, the best balanced speakers INMHO are the forte II and CF4.  I have owned forte II since new in 1992.  I will never part with mine.  If you are running a good high current amplifier, that has ample reserve power for "Difficult Loads, or Passages" you will find little need for a subwoofer since they dig to 32KHZ, if not slightly lower.  Keep an eye on your local Craigslist, Audiogon, etc.  Unless your really remote somewhere odds are you can avoid shipping.

Best regards,

John

They were both designed by Roy Delgado, now Chief Engineer in the Pro Theater line.

Did Roy Delgado design the Heresy II?  Who decided to replace the metal K400 in the Khorn with the K401? 

It would be interesting to get a list of Delgado's designs, both those he did alone and those he did with PWK.

Edited by Garyrc

Prices and preferences tend to be regional. Some prefer the Forte some the Forte ll and prices reflect this. Sounds like the vendor is willing to do some travel with the speakers in his vehicle to meet a buyer, are you sure that you don't have a friend with a vehicle you could bribe to help you to pick up it is a much better option to shipping? A forte is essentially a Heresy ll with a bigger box and a reflex vent.

I did say that that there are those who prefer the Forte over the Forte ll. Personally I believe that the hybrid mid horn used in the Forte ll is a significantly better design than the K701 used in the Heresy and Forte. Versions of the hybrid conical/tractrix design are the mainstay of the Klipsch Reference Series and of Klipsch Pro and the K600 K701 and K400 are nowhere to be found in modern Klipsch designs today the sole exceptions would be the Heresy 3 and the Cornwall 3 which both use the k701 mid horn which is a resin version of the metal cast K700 and they are both included in the Heritage series.

Making the jump from phenolic to titanium diaphragms in older Klipsch products does make for a significant improvement those metal diaphragms are also used in all the reference series and in Klipsch Pro products. I would tend to agree with jjptkd that a fully upgraded (all ti diaphragm) Forte would be preferable to a stock Forte ll but I would still hold out for a Forte ll as I believe the Forte ll mid horn is better horn in every way over a K701 as used in the Forte. I think that I also mentioned previously that a solid set of KLF20 with fresh diaphragms is a better option over a Forte ll as the mid horns are better and the cabinet is turned sideways so the narrow width faces forward. The other bonus is that the four ten inch woofers push a lot more are than the two twelve inch woofers in either Forte model. So keep your eyes open. Best regards Moray James

Nah those days are over -  all the guys i grew up with are all married - gone somewhere - etc, - its not a close knit thing anymore you know -  i dont have any one who i can really trust and will do a favor like this -   i dont mind paying for his Gas to bring them me if he is willing to travel -  but no half way here -   he has to bring them to me in my apt. -  i can make him an espresso :)     worst case if nothing works out with this forte hunt i been on for some reason - i got an itch of all of sudden for them -   i just want to experince something new different better -  live in your face sound i like it - but need some bottom end also -  reason i like the forte for that -  and the huge mid horn is cool to just look at :)

Did you get the link I PM'd you? A pair of Forte II's just showed up on eBay and the seller is willing to ship:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Forte-II-Consecutive-Serial-Numbers-Shipping-price-is-for-each-speaker-/131377561481?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1e96b67f89

He says "best offer" so you may get them a bit cheaper.. good luck!

Did you get the link I PM'd you? A pair of Forte II's just showed up on eBay and the seller is willing to ship:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Forte-II-Consecutive-Serial-Numbers-Shipping-price-is-for-each-speaker-/131377561481?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1e96b67f89

$750 shipped. Not too bad  ^_^

yes i seen that - i am thinking now -   according to shipping - it shows 52 each - so about a 100 for shipping which is low i think but thats what it says -   that would make it 700 shipped

even 750 is good i think -  looks in very good shape - if they work - haha -    i sent him an offer for 500 plus shipping -  hes asking 600  what do you think - should i wait to hear back or just buy it now ?

i did - i just got them -  forget the offer -  people where watching it and i am sure others made an offer also -   i mean how much lower would he go anyway -  at best $50 dollars - - i just used buy it now and paid - i wasnt sure how to buy it with out paying so i paid for it -   i think i will have to pay a little more for the shipping since one speaker was added to my final price at check out -   

it said a Pair of speakers -  but on check out it said Quantity  1 -    i printed it out to keep for my records just in case -   and used my Credit card with paypal -  i couldnt go to sleep if i didnt get them now -  i know i would wake up tomorrow and they be sold - 

another pair of the forte I  sold for $455   not bad if you could have picked it up -    after i talk to the seller and get it corrected with the final price etc, -  for a pair !!! -  i will contact the two others i had been waiting to hear back from with there shipping costs etc, and let them know  - they dont have to now - 

Hey thanks alot for that Link - i may not have gotten them if you didnt -   i did get them -  they look great in the pictures -  seller says he had over time 3 pairs and this pair is the best so far - 8.5 out of 10 -

the listing has shipping for only one speaker - but i didnt know how to buy it now and not pay - so i did the whole thing and paid for them -   short of shipping costs for one speaker -

the seller called me today - i explained and figured we would work out the difference -  but he surprised me and said its ok -  he wont charge me any more and since hes close to me - in NJ  - instead of packing them and shipping them - since i cant go to him to pick them up -  he offered to bring them to me - Tomorrow or sunday !!! -    that was great -  i didnt expect that at all -  very happy for that -   hopefully its as good as the pictures and they work just as good i hope -

how fast things go from nothing to having them in you home in a day -  i let the other two people i was waiting to hear back from about shipping costs that i was no longer in the market for them -  - didnt want them to do work to pack and get shipping costs -  but i think they should any way so they can list them and add correct shipping for the next person -   

but i am happy with this price and condition -  i didnt expect it this soon -  i am not ready to add them in my system yet -   i will hand down my KG 3.2 to a friend who is not able to afford them along with my marantz 7002 - and my sub - i need the room for the Forte II now  :)    i just listened them and kind of feel bad will miss them also - but happy to move on and enjoy another model Klipsch -     the person will appreciate it and enjoy music -  and i can visit anytime -  just a few floor below me anyway -   

i hope my marantz works - i had it in a box for a year  - worked perfect when i put it in there -  replaced with the Emo XP 5 and UMC 200 pre -   

i hope he comes tomorrow with them -  i have a dolly with rubber finish on top all around - which is about perfect fit for the forte -   if it works - i will get two for them and i feel better knowing they wont have to be moved - dragged  around - 

would be easy to move around when needed to clean or wires etc, -   i learned a long time ago -  may sound strange but having everything on wheels is the best thing i done - i try to do that as i get things if i can -  or else  i cant move them and no one else can -  this way - they are safe and never dragged touched etc, -  

i learned from my audio rack - i then did it to my TV stand - and now the speakers -  the 82's i can leave as is  - i will place them and leave them - wont be touched much -  and easier to move those actually - without having to lift them off the ground -  you can lean and rock them if you have to move just a little -  if you really have to move them - have to call someone -    but the forte - i rather not have them touched handled too much -  no one is as careful as the owner is - :)

Sounds like a good deal congrats. 

i have them in my home now -  the guy took them to me this morning - that was nice - i wasnt expecting that and wasnt ready for them to hook them up etc, - i have to make room in my system -  i wont hook them up for another week or two maybe -   they look great - even better than i expected

the seller said they were an 8.5 out of 10 and he wasnt kidding - i say even a 9  -   now if they sound as good well see :)    i am going to buy the uprade for the mids and tweeter - crossover and hold them till i am ready to install - i just want to listen to them first a while  - 

but i may jut buy the parts to have while i can get them :)     he called me early i was in bed - - i was in my PJ to meet the guy and let him park - off the street in my building area  -  took about 15 mins tops -  one at a time bring them up to my place -   he was a good guy -