Receiver not decoding anything higher than DTS and Dolby Digital

Youthman

• Moderators

I just finished upgrading my parent's setup with a Harman Kardon AVR 2600 (HDMI & supports DTS-Master & Dolby TrueHD), a pair of RF-42ii and an RC35.  They have a small Velodyne CT-100 sub and some cheap Sony rear surrounds. 

The bluray player is connected via HDMI.  When playing Book of Eli or Need for Speed (both encoded with DTS-Master), the receiver only displays DTS. 

The bluray player is pretty old. It's a Sony BDP-S300.   It does not support the HD audio codecs but if the receiver is displaying Dolby Digital and DTS, wouldn't that mean that the bluray player is sending the signal via bitstream and letting the receiver do the decoding?

I went into the settings of the bluray player and everything seems correct.  Don't see an option for bitstream though.

post-25073-0-51920000-1418591058_thumb.j

post-25073-0-48400000-1418591080_thumb.j

post-25073-0-87160000-1418591101_thumb.j

post-25073-0-16840000-1418591131_thumb.j

• Like 1

I think the Sony decodes lossless codecs but only sends it PCM through HDMI.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=65010

If that does not work, maybe this is the issue.  

Editors' Note, October 10, 2008: Since this review was published, Sony has released a firmware update that adds Dolby TrueHD decoding and is said to offer improved BD Java compatibility. CNET did not have the opportunity to re-test this model with the firmware upgrade installed, but we have tested the 2008 version of the player, the Sony BDP-S330.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/02/bdp-s300-firmware-4-20-adds-dolby-truehd-support-finally/

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks guys, looks like a firmware update will allow it to decode DTS-Master and Dolby TrueHD. 

Of course the easy solution is to buy a new Bluray player but they just spent $300 on the RF-42ii, RC-35 and Harman Kardon AVR 2600 and $300 was the budget they gave me to work with so I'm doing my best not to cause them to go over their budget.  They can always buy a bluray player down the road but for now, I'll give the firmware update a try and send it as PCM.

• Like 1