Palladium P-27c NEW for $1200 Good Deal?

jjptkd

For the P-39f's you heard, was the room well treated and was any EQ used?  What type of amp was used?

If no room correction, it seems more performance could be squeezed out of them.  Audyssey pro on my AV8801 has worked wonders for me and makes an audible difference.  Too bad you have to have the pro version to disable mid-range compensation (dumbest design ever).  Personally, I don't understand a lot of the analog only posts I see, but I understand a lot of folks run this way.  If you're comparing analog setups, it seems pointless to me after hearing what good EQ can do.

I can promise anyone in my room setup with Audyssey pro and a large solid state amp, the LS II's don't sound quite as detailed as the P-39f's.  The extra available octaves are nice too, although I don't think a lot of music tracks use them.

I'd be surprised at anyone who heard the mid-range on the P-39f and wasn't satisfied with it versus the heritage stuff, but again this depends on setup.  

I haven't own the K510, but it looks like a decent horn for the money.  Looking at the pictures, it is a little bigger than the P-39f's mid-range (which is 7.75"x7.75").  I know a lot of engineering went into the tactrix mid-range on the Palladium stuff though, and it seems to have some sort of wave guide too along with a custom designed 4.5" driver.  To dismiss all this extra engineering just based on horn size alone seems silly.

To me compared to the K-402's I heard with the TADs, the 402's may have sounded slightly better than my P-39f's.  I am 100% sure they both sounded more real than the heritage stuff I've heard and owned though, and I can't say with the Jubilee's it'd be worth giving up all that space and having to move all my gear to a bigger room (which my wife probably wouldn't allow).

To be honest neither of the two rooms had any terminates in them and i know above and beyond everything that is one of the most import things. I spent months researching and treating my room appropriately during my build for my theater. The first setup used two Krell amps but with a yamaha AVR and i'll be the first to say I'm not a yamaha fanboy at all. The second setup used a Macintosh tube pre and Macintosh 2 channel amp. He also did a side by side comparison with the P39s and the Lascalas i purchased. I preferred the lascars for music but we didn't do any movie testing. Im not sure of any equalizing he did but Im a strong believer of equalizing any setup and treating its environment. 

There was no eq and darn sure no room treatments Michael. Just plugged them in and let them rip. FYI etc6849 bought my Palladiums. My Cornwalls are taking care of me right now and sound really nice with the Mc front end.......

You didn't have those that long did you? Would you say the cornwalls are close in sq?

I have been here for 12 years.  I remember when the K Horn was the king of the hill, then not because it had to be modified with extreme slope crossovers, which were the greastest thing, until they sounded bad because soemone said the Type A was actually better, then the Jubilee was the must have, unil it was also trashed because it is big and ugly, then the Palladium came along, it was great, but now it isn't all that because it too sounds just OK.

Keep up the good work... ^_^

• Like 3

For the P-39f's you heard, was the room well treated and was any EQ used? What type of amp was used?

If no room correction, it seems more performance could be squeezed out of them. Audyssey pro on my AV8801 has worked wonders for me and makes an audible difference. Too bad you have to have the pro version to disable mid-range compensation (dumbest design ever). Personally, I don't understand a lot of the analog only posts I see, but I understand a lot of folks run this way. If you're comparing analog setups, it seems pointless to me after hearing what good EQ can do.

I can promise anyone in my room setup with Audyssey pro and a large solid state amp, the LS II's don't sound quite as detailed as the P-39f's. The extra available octaves are nice too, although I don't think a lot of music tracks use them.

I'd be surprised at anyone who heard the mid-range on the P-39f and wasn't satisfied with it versus the heritage stuff, but again this depends on setup.

I haven't own the K510, but it looks like a decent horn for the money. Looking at the pictures, it is a little bigger than the P-39f's mid-range (which is 7.75"x7.75"). I know a lot of engineering went into the tactrix mid-range on the Palladium stuff though, and it seems to have some sort of wave guide too along with a custom designed 4.5" driver. To dismiss all this extra engineering just based on horn size alone seems silly.

To me compared to the K-402's I heard with the TADs, the 402's may have sounded slightly better than my P-39f's. I am 100% sure they both sounded more real than the heritage stuff I've heard and owned though, and I can't say with the Jubilee's it'd be worth giving up all that space and having to move all my gear to a bigger room (which my wife probably wouldn't allow).

To be honest neither of the two rooms had any terminates in them and i know above and beyond everything that is one of the most import things. I spent months researching and treating my room appropriately during my build for my theater. The first setup used two Krell amps but with a yamaha AVR and i'll be the first to say I'm not a yamaha fanboy at all. The second setup used a Macintosh tube pre and Macintosh 2 channel amp. He also did a side by side comparison with the P39s and the Lascalas i purchased. I preferred the lascars for music but we didn't do any movie testing. Im not sure of any equalizing he did but Im a strong believer of equalizing any setup and treating its environment.

There was no eq and darn sure no room treatments Michael. Just plugged them in and let them rip. FYI etc6849 bought my Palladiums. My Cornwalls are taking care of me right now and sound really nice with the Mc front end.......

You didn't have those that long did you? Would you say the cornwalls are close in sq?

I have never heard the Cornwells before

For the P-39f's you heard, was the room well treated and was any EQ used? What type of amp was used?

If no room correction, it seems more performance could be squeezed out of them. Audyssey pro on my AV8801 has worked wonders for me and makes an audible difference. Too bad you have to have the pro version to disable mid-range compensation (dumbest design ever). Personally, I don't understand a lot of the analog only posts I see, but I understand a lot of folks run this way. If you're comparing analog setups, it seems pointless to me after hearing what good EQ can do.

I can promise anyone in my room setup with Audyssey pro and a large solid state amp, the LS II's don't sound quite as detailed as the P-39f's. The extra available octaves are nice too, although I don't think a lot of music tracks use them.

I haven't own the K510, but it looks like a decent horn for the money. Looking at the pictures, it is a little bigger than the P-39f's mid-range (which is 7.75"x7.75"). I know a lot of engineering went into the tactrix mid-range on the Palladium stuff though, and it seems to have some sort of wave guide too along with a custom designed 4.5" driver. To dismiss all this extra engineering just based on horn size alone seems silly.

To me compared to the K-402's I heard with the TADs, the 402's may have sounded slightly better than my P-39f's. I am 100% sure they both sounded more real than the heritage stuff I've heard and owned though, and I can't say with the Jubilee's it'd be worth giving up all that space and having to move all my gear to a bigger room (which my wife probably wouldn't allow).

I had them almost a year and loved them. The Cornwalls are good....very good but really can't compare. I made the change only because I really don't get to listen to music anywhere close to enough to justify such impressive speakers. They are also huge and simply dominate my living room. One other thing is I was constantly worried that when my daughter's band has to set up in there that some guitar player would swing around and gouge the crap out of them or a drumstick would get one. It just makes batter sense for me for many reasons but never was it that they weren't very impressive. Silky smooth and effortless. I only wish I had hooked them up to a kick *** SS amp. I would have loved to have heard them with a MC 502......

• Like 1

he post and PM is lacking information and comes off as arrogant and offensive.

sorry you got your feelings hurt. but all i said was i have heard nothing but bad things. all you had to do was man up and say what you said in a pm. instead you had to be a cry baby about it. go ahead and make fun of my 904's and see if it hurts my feelings. i have AVS guys come over all the time and say eh i don't know scrap, I'm not sure if i like them. doesn't bother me. i know they are one of the best speakers i have ever heard. and i have heard a lot of speakers. i make it a point to hear every single one i can. palladiums are still on my list. but not many out there.

What do you mean the guys at avs say you don't know scrap? What about?
just guys that think they are good but not as good as I think they are. But everyone holds certain brands close to their hearts as well as fanboys exist and placebo is huge in this hobby. Most that come hear are JTR owners and love my speakers but say theirs are just a but better. I always agreed JTR was better with every speaker I have owned UNTIL I got the 904's. Now when I go their houses and come home I enjoy my setup more. Used to go to their houses come home listen to mine and dream if JTR for a month. Then realize I couldn't afford. Glad that doesn't happen anymore. Single income right now so it's good not to be window shipping all the time.

Billy,

Stop by and hear them sometime after Feb...  I have them hooked up to a pretty kick a$$ solid state amp with Audyssey pro setup.  The bass is so tight and accurate it's mind blowing that only two speakers and no subs are producing the sound I'm getting.

To be fair to your beautiful tube amp, my room volume is 1/6 -1/7th  of what you had them in.  I'm certain that has something to do with it!

I would say my amp has pretty ideal specs for driving a speaker like this (it was waaay overkill for my la scala's though!):  https://web.archive.org/web/20120416004151/http://ati-amp.com/AT2000.php

post-31898-0-49280000-1420244116_thumb.p

I only wish I had hooked them up to a kick *** SS amp. I would have loved to have heard them with a MC 502......

Edited by etc6849