Buying modified KHorn's - good or bad idea

richieb

So sad :( I can no longer sell my '69 Z-28 Camaro as a '69 Z-28 even with disclosure because I swapped out the factory Duntov 30-30 cam and carb.

That Hurst super shifter HAS to go!

and I think I might have destroyed my speaks by using different wire internally since the 70 models had corroded wire.

B.S.

You get my drift, we are not selling / using museum quality equipment here. Git over it.

edit I screwed that up; this one has the Hurst Competition Plus, the Super Shifter would have sacrificed the console.

Edited by USNRET

If they weren't hand built by PWK...

Man if that is the criteria than there are but a handful with that status, right. Now Those would have some value and you'd have to be somewhat crazy to mess with those. And if that is the case my hot rods are as "Klipschorniest" as any. Thanks - I think.

Sure you can. It's a '69 Z-28 Camaro with an aftermarket cam and carb, just like a person can sell their Klipschorns by calling them "modified Klipschorns" or "Klipschorns modified with ..." Which is truthful and accurate. Selling them as "Klipschorns", otoh, would not be accurate.

• Like 1

So sad :( I can no longer sell my '69 Z-28 Camaro as a '69 Z-28 even with disclosure because I swapped out the factory Duntov 30-30 cam and carb.

That Hurst super shifter HAS to go!

B.S.

Yep - to the scrapper I say! (Can you give me a heads up on day/date/time that might happen) Just sayin' - And can you make room in the trunk for my KHorns; we can rid the world of excess junk two at a time.

Sure you can. It's a '69 Z-28 Camaro with an aftermarket cam and carb, just like a person can sell their Klipschorns by calling them "modified Klipschorns" or "Klipschorns modified with ..." Which is truthful and accurate. Selling them as "Klipschorns", otoh, would not be accurate.

Dean, I thought that was exactly what we were discussing. Perhaps I misunderstood but I heard Klipschorns with mods. My ears ain't what they used to be.

You guys are confusing two different things here. I'm only addressing the question that asked if a heavily modified Klipschorn is still a Klipschorn. I got an email from Rich when he thinking about these. I called him, and left a voicemail message advising him to buy these. I think you guys are construing my statements to mean that I'm down on these modifications. Actually, I'm not sure what's going on here!

You guys are confusing two different things here. I'm only addressing the question that asked if a heavily modified Klipschorn is still a Klipschorn. I got an email from Rich when he thinking about these. I called him, and left a voicemail message advising him to buy these. I think you guys are construing my statements to mean that I'm down on these modifications. Actually, I'm not sure what's going on here!

Nah, we're past that (since he bought them, good deal BTW) just our (my) way of continuing BS thread crapping between buddies.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963

What you posted on January 16th is at odds with what you posted in May 2014.

It does?  How so? I merely responded that at some point (as in his case, heavy mods) would call into question whether the speaker could retain its original name. 

Your seeming disdain for any modifications to the Klipsch loudspeakers is a bit hypocritical.

You've made a huge assumption here that basically destroys your own argument towards me.  Never, nowhere in this forum, or anywhere else for that matter, have I ever said 'upgrading' or 'modifying' a klipsch speaker is a bad thing.  NEVER.  Find it if you can.

You were aware of ALK's networks and were considering a purchase of Al's ES networks.

So?  I didn't, did I? Instead I stayed as close to stock as I could?

You not only installed non-stock parts in your Klipschorns, you started a topic entitled "My new DeanG networks" July 17, 2014 where you gave them a rave review. While (according to Dean) they are Type AA networks, they are not stock Klipschorn networks.

If you dig a bit deeper into my posts, you'd find that when I purchased my Khorns the networks were 'frankensteined' by the seller.  He had added a lot of caps and other things that moved them far from stock  ---- So I bought Dean's AA networks and I RETURNED THEM TO SOCK. I stayed stock.  Others do not.  That's fine by me and I may even 'upgrade' down the road, because I DO NOT have a problem with upgrades.

As Dean said, any upgrades would be considered modified khorns and I agree that would be the technical description for them.  If you didn't gather that from what I posted above, sorry.

As for the score, considering you made a completely wrong assumption that I had disdain for changes to Klipsch speakers from stock, and all of your assumptions are made using poor research of my posts...I'd say you've disqualified yourself.

I win. :lol:  :lol::D  :D  :P  :P  ;)  

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Bumping this old thread to request a little enlightenment from the forum as to the quality of the parts/mods of a modified khorn I came across on craiglist for $1,100. All greek to me.  What do you guys think of the following? 

* THIS PAIR OF 1972 WALNUT LACQUER KLIPSCHORN WILL COMPLIMENT THE VERY FINE$T OF LISTENING ROOMS *

* PRISTINE NEVER REFINISHED  ORIGINAL 1972 WALNUT LACQUER CABINETS #4K045 & #4K046 WITH ORIGINAL GOLD / BROWN GRILL CLOTH - STUNNING *

* CRITES EMINENCE CW1526C CAST FRAME WOOFERS *

* CUSTOM KLIPSCH AA NETWORKS - RUSSIAN PIO & OBBLIGATO GOLD PREMIUM CAPS - SPECTACULAR SOUND *

* WOOD FASTRAC TRACHORNS *

* KLIPSCH ALNICO K-55-V #13635 & #13637 WITH VARIABLE ATTENUATION - THE "NATURAL 400HZ FIT" IMO AFTER USING EVERYTHING ELSE *

* EMINENCE APT200 "BUTT CHEEK" TWEETERS *

* DUAL BANANA PLUG BINDING POSTS *

Thanks in advance.  :emotion-21: 

Edited by oldnewbie

welcome to the forum

i think you got the price wrong because i know the k-horns your talking about.  5 grand not $1100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCHORN-FULLY-MODIFIED-ENJOY-THE-105DB-HP-INVEST-IN-THE-ABSOLUTE-FINEST-/251891217741?hash=item3aa5e2f54d

I remember those. Before the modifications they were sold in this thread during June 2014 with an asking price of $1,800.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/150566-pair-of-1972-khorns-for-sale-in-minneapolis-mn/

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

welcome to the forum

i think you got the price wrong because i know the k-horns your talking about.  5 grand not $1100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLIPSCHORN-FULLY-MODIFIED-ENJOY-THE-105DB-HP-INVEST-IN-THE-ABSOLUTE-FINEST-/251891217741?hash=item3aa5e2f54d

Yes, but the local sale price is not  $5,000. 

So the local sale price is $1100?  Is that each?