MUSIC HALL MMF 7.1 TURNTABLE

eth2

Seems to be a great price compared to the usual new sources and I hear good things about the Music Hall. Seems the only complaint is about need to ensure vibration isolation.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

Earl, I went in another direction with my TT purchase and got a vintage machine that is currently being restored, however, if I had bought new in that price range, from everything I read, and from all of the advice I received, it would have been that exact machine.  Again, that's a very good price....

• Like 1

Earl, I went in another direction with my TT purchase and got a vintage machine that is currently being restored, however, if I had bought new in that price range, from everything I read, and from all of the advice I received, it would have been that exact machine.  Again, that's a very good price....

Thanks, Jim!

Good is a relative term... dont get caught up in "new" with a TT. I only buy used and have only ever been disappointed once, and that seller took the TT back.

Most owners are very careful with precision equipment... specially a TT.

I just sold my rega p5 with many many upgrades for 1100... while that was a smoking deal, I think you can do similar is you are patient and look daily online.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Earl,

I have many attorney friends I have turned on to vinyl here in Austin and for those that want to purchase a good quality new turntable I reccomend either Musichall or Rega. Both are excellent tables at the range you are looking at. We have an excellent dealer that sells the MH and amother one who sells Rega.

Is it from a private party or a dealer? The main thing is having a dealer you can go to for set up, etc.

The table is excellent. I have no experience with that cartridge and cannot offer anything about that.

Travis

• Like 1

$950 brand new is a smoking good deal. I've owned a MMF7 for over 10 years! nice table in that price bracket. They used to come with a Goldring high output moving coil back then. I paid $850 for mine way back then. Music hall really stands by them with service also mine arrived with a cocked but usuable cantilever and they sent me a new one no questions ask and told me to keep the original.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Here is a link to the Needle Doctorsite on the 7.1, there are some informative customer reviews to check out.

Where will you be placing it, on top of audio rack, other type of furniture? Is the room that it is going in on ground floor, is the floor solid or does it bounce? The reason I ask is that my vinyl rig was upstairs and even light foot traffic went right to audio rack. I ended up getting turntable wall mount which completely isolated it from floor.

When I saw some Regas displayed a few years ago they had an optional wall mount that was designed specifically for Rega. You might want to look at that aspect as well.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Hall-Turntable-MMF-7-1

Edited by dwilawyer
  • Like 1

Thank you all.

I am going to get the MH. I have no experience with turntables past my Marantz 6170 back in the 80's. Therefore, a VPI or similar expensive TT makes little sense at this point and the "tweaking" scares the heck out of me.

There is no tweaking with VPI tables, I have had several and never NEEDED to tweak, they are mainly set and forget...................One question too ask yourself is how deep do you intend to get into vinyl playback ???

If you other audio adventures are a good marker of how you will act with vinyl I would suggest you buy a better table to start and forego the ultimate upgrade path

Vpi aries, Tnt and (possibly) the newer prime scout will be every bit as easy to set up as the MH and will perform with some of the best tables on the planet ,  If this is a test to see if vinyl will stick around then by all means stay cheaper

I also agree if vinyl will be a staple for you (and if you take the time to properly set it up, I am sure you will stay with it as nothing sounds better) you should look at much better tables on the used market (I bought no less than 10 different tables used to include 3 VPI TNT's, 2 Clear audio champion 2, 1 Nottingham Hyperspace, 2 Vpi aries, oracle delphi (dont buy as a beginner), Thorens 160, and a duel cs5000, and the grand daddy of them all the MapleKnoll Ariedna....................With everyone of those tables I had no issues

• Like 1

• Moderators

Thank you all.

I am going to get the MH. I have no experience with turntables past my Marantz 6170 back in the 80's. Therefore, a VPI or similar expensive TT makes little sense at this point and the "tweaking" scares the heck out of me.

You are really going to enjoy it.  People that I know who have purchased them are still using them, some for over 8 years.  I looked at that mojo cartridge and I am probably familiar with it without realizing it.  It is a specially made Ortofon with a user replaceable stylus which makes life so simple and easy. 

Really interested in hearing your impressions when you have it all hooked up. 

Travis

Travis

• Like 1

Earl,

I have many attorney friends I have turned on to vinyl here in Austin and for those that want to purchase a good quality new turntable I reccomend either Musichall or Rega. Both are excellent tables at the range you are looking at. We have an excellent dealer that sells the MH and amother one who sells Rega.

Is it from a private party or a dealer? The main thing is having a dealer you can go to for set up, etc.

The table is excellent. I have no experience with that cartridge and cannot offer anything about that.

Travis

Travis,

This is from an authorized dealer in California (long way from New York). They say it has 5 hours of playing time. I will be using it in a room dedicated to audio. It is on the main floor, and has wood plank floors. I will get a some type of a slate mounting pad with isolation feet and separate it from the audio stack.

Thank you for your help.

Earl

Snap Crackle Pop, it's vinyl!!

i do not have that problem when playing a CLEAN album.

All of my vinyl is CLEAN, but I don't buy brand new "audiophile pressings", and obviously you don't hang around the $2.00 bins like I do.  And that's just fine.

Snap Crackle Pop, it's vinyl!!

i do not have that problem when playing a CLEAN album.

All of my vinyl is CLEAN, but I don't buy brand new "audiophile pressings", and obviously you don't hang around the $2.00 bins like I do.  And that's just fine.

Hey Jim (when i was in vinyl) I found that cleaning with vacuum machine and cartridge alignment made the most difference on the snap crackle pop, 95% of my 5000 plus albums were 1 or 2 dollars first time around I sold that collection and swore I was done with vinyl, ended up buying the air bearing and platter TT and started and all audiophile grade recordings collection, My final table was the Mapleknoll arieadne, with air bearing linear tracking arm, with Lyra Helikon cart, run through S & B copper SUT to a Hagerman Trumpet Phono pre,.....................That thing was a constant tweak, the air took better part of a year to get straight where all i did was throw a switch and wait a couple minutes, a small bump of the 75 pound lead platter and it would spin almost endlessly It sure sounded good

I get it, I really do....but here's the thing....I don't mind the occasional snap, crackle and pop...it's all part of the game, the allure.  I don't need an $8000 TT with a stylus made from Haley's Comet, an isolation platform crafted from the Petrified Forest, and a record cleaner certified by NASA.....If you want to go there, fine, have at it.  I'm just sayin'....lighten up.