Upgrade RC-3?

01svtL

So I recently sold a pair of RF-3's and purchased a pair of mint RF-5's in maple finish.  I still have my RC-3 center though.  From the sound of what most seem to say, the RC-3 does not blend well with the RF5's because they can't keep up, due to differences in the tweeters.  I was wondering if swapping something like these into the RC-3's would help at all.

I know people say the RC-7 is a good match, but they are rarely found used.  I also don't have the money for a RC-64 right now either.

Try it out and see what you think. I started out with an RC-3/RF-5 combo and I found it to be lacking when the 5's were really cranked up for movies - dialogue was often unintelligible. The RC-7 was a much better match and I would keep your eyes open for one. Set aside $400 and use your RC-3 until you come across the right RC-7 deal and then pull the trigger. They usually list for $300-500 depending on condition and location, and $400 would be a respectable offer for one priced on the high end.

Try it out and see what you think. I started out with an RC-3/RF-5 combo and I found it to be lacking when the 5's were really cranked up for movies - dialogue was often unintelligible. The RC-7 was a much better match and I would keep your eyes open for one. Set aside $400 and use your RC-3 until you come across the right RC-7 deal and then pull the trigger. They usually list for $300-500 depending on condition and location, and $400 would be a respectable offer for one priced on the high end.

Yea kinda what I'm thinking.

Is that part I linked to one of the major differences between the two?  I know the RC-7 is a bigger speaker in general.  I think I read they had the same horn, just different tweeter diaphragms somewhere though.

Also the RC-7 is ported, where as the rc-3's are not.

I was recently looking for a replacement center to go with my RF-5's. I didn't come across any RC-7's, but found someone locally that had a mint condition RC-62ii for under $200. I picked that up and it keeps up with the towers quite well.

The RC-7 is hands down one of the best center speakers ever made in my opinion. It blends in and keeps up with my Chorus II's no problem which isn't an easy task! Congrats on the RF-5's, I've always wanted to try a pair out but they never show up local to me...

Thanks for the input guys.  Yea I was wondering if one of the newer 52 or 62's would be at least a better match than the RC-3.

I got lucky with these.  I live in Houston, but am moving to Los Alamos, NM soon.  I had a trip booked to go out there to visit my fiance, and just decided to check the Albuquerque Craigslist for shits and giggles.  I came across the ad within hours of it being posted and contacted the seller.  She had two pair, and held on to her best pair (least used - bedroom set) for me for almost 2 weeks.  I offered to send her a down payment as good faith for holding them for me, and she declined.  I flew into ABQ at 9:30 on a Thursday night, my fiance picked me up and we drove 30 min south to pick them up, then turned around and drove a little over 2 hours back to Los Alamos.  I haven't even had a chance to listen to them yet, as our belongings haven't made it up there yet (plus the receivers are with me, and will stay with me until I move in March).  I am looking forward to hooking everything up and watching a BluRay nice and cranked when I get there.  Several reviews saying the RC-3 gets drowned out by the RF-5's is what made me start to do a little more research.  As it were, I thought the RC-3 greatly overpowered the RF-3's, but it could have been my settings on my receiver.  

Edited by 01svtL

Yea we just bought a 51" plasma and have a smallish living room, so the center will definitely be between 1 and 2 feet off the ground (I think it's right around 18").  I guess I'll look for either a 62 ii or a RC-7 over the next couple of weeks.

I got lucky with these. I live in Houston, but am moving to Los Alamos, NM soon. I had a trip booked to go out there to visit my fiance, and just decided to check the Albuquerque Craigslist for shits and giggles. I came across the ad within hours of it being posted and contacted the seller. She had two pair, and held on to her best pair (least used - bedroom set) for me for almost 2 weeks.

Were those in Los Lunas? i think I posted them in the alerts...they were a steal if those were the ones.

This guy has a RC-7 for sale here in Albuquerque, I bought my RS-7's from him. Really nice guy and he may have a little room to move on the price.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/4844071229.html

I got lucky with these. I live in Houston, but am moving to Los Alamos, NM soon. I had a trip booked to go out there to visit my fiance, and just decided to check the Albuquerque Craigslist for shits and giggles. I came across the ad within hours of it being posted and contacted the seller. She had two pair, and held on to her best pair (least used - bedroom set) for me for almost 2 weeks.

Were those in Los Lunas? i think I posted them in the alerts...they were a steal if those were the ones.

This guy has a RC-7 for sale here in Albuquerque, I bought my RS-7's from him. Really nice guy and he may have a little room to move on the price.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/4844071229.html

Yep!  She had 2 pair.  I picked up 1 pair.  She told me someone that picked up the other pair was begging her to let him have all 4.  So if that guy is on here, sorry!

How often are you in Albuquerque?  I won't be back in the state until March.  It would be awesome if I could make a deal on it and he or someone could hold on to it for me.

How often are you in Albuquerque?

Every damn day!

Hmmm.  If I can make a deal with him and send payment via paypal or send you a money order or something, would you mind picking it up and holding on to it for me?  Strange request I know.  Something car guys do on car forums all the time :) 

Let me call him, he may work with me since he knows me. I'll pm you with details to work something out.

That would be awesome man.  Thanks!   I'm not sure what the rules are here, so not sure if I can send/receive PM's yet since I am new.  Some forums require 50 posts or 30 days or whatever.  I just signed up today, though have lurked for a couple of years.  If you need my email, let me know.

Every damn day!

Hmmm.  If I can make a deal with him and send payment via paypal or send you a money order or something, would you mind picking it up and holding on to it for me?  Strange request I know.  Something car guys do on car forums all the time :)

Not strange at all here bud. You'll find this place to be much more than another forum. I'll be happy to pick it up and hold it til you come through Albuquerque. I just sent him a message and will let you know.

• Like 1

Every damn day!

Not strange at all here bud. You'll find this place to be much more than another forum. I'll be happy to pick it up and hold it til you come through Albuquerque. I just sent him a message and will let you know.

Much appreciated!