Pioneer SC-72

ZEUS121996

Great AVR...its basically the "Elite" branded version of my SC-1323...same exact specs if I remember correctly, but the Elite versions came with a 2 year warranty if purchased through an authorized dealer. 

I got mine through Amazon for $599 if I remember right.  It was one of their deals of the day at the time. 

Private seller, the receipt is from a month ago, would the warranty still be in effect if they hadn't registered it?

Seem like Amazon deal of the day is the way to go.

What exactly is the difference between the Elite series and the other line. Spec wise they seem very similar? 

Schu, I should have bought your 35 last month, I just waited too long

Mark

Private seller, the receipt is from a month ago, would the warranty still be in effect if they hadn't registered it?

Seem like Amazon deal of the day is the way to go.

What exactly is the difference between the Elite series and the other line. Spec wise they seem very similar? 

Schu, I should have bought your 35 last month, I just waited too long

Mark

It went to a good home.

• Like 1

What exactly is the difference between the Elite series and the other line. Spec wise they seem very similar?

Pioneer used to control the distribution of Elite branded receivers to brick & mortar stores only and charged a premium over non-Elite branded receivers.  I.E. Pioneer wouldn't honor the warranty of an "Elite" receiver bought over the internet (Newegg, etc.).  Amazon carried and was authorized to sell non-Elite branded receivers like my SC-1323 and they came with the regular factory warranty of one year, however they did not carry Elite branded receivers. 

At the time I purchased my receiver, Pioneer sold non-Elite branded receivers with Class D3 amplification and these units were identified with model numbers that started with SC.  Stepping up to the Elite branded unit would get you a two year warranty and very slight aesthetic modifications to go along with the branding at a premium price.  Otherwise, the corresponding Elite and non-elite models were identical. 

I believe that this was Pioneer scheming with the brick and mortar stores to protect their market and profits by offering the same product albeit with exclusive branding at a premium price through a limited distribution network.  They protected the distribution network by stripping the warranty from on-line sales. 

Looking over their current lineup, it appears that Pioneer now reserves Class D3 amplification to their Elite branded receivers.  It also appears that you can now purchase Elite branded receivers directly from Amazon.  Based on this, it appears that Pioneer is now trying to protect the Elite branding and profits through actual technical differences which I believe is a more honest business plan.